sgreer5

Buying a used Sub

Hi guys, Im not quite sure if I put this in the correct section but Im sorry if its not right. Anyways I found I really good deal on a W7 on Craigslist close to my house. I was going to call the guy and make a time to check out the sub. Im pretty dumb when it comes to knowing what signs of abuse are for subs but I was wanting to know in general what are some things I WANT to see as well as some things I DONT want to see (as far as whether I should buy the sub). I mean I know that holes in the subs surround or any cracks are bad but as far as the mechanics of the sub what are some signs of abuse. Hope this makes sense.

Push cone up and down and try and feel/hear any coil rub. Look between the basket and venting at the coil and make sure it's not burnt, melted, discoloration black.

All that I can think of.

MAke sure the sub is out of an enclosure, hook it up and listen. If something sounds abnormal, don't buy it.

Check to see if the coils are working. If you have a 9v battery bring that and connect in series to see if the coils are good.

Push cone up and down and try and feel/hear any coil rub. Look between the basket and venting at the coil and make sure it's not burnt, melted, discoloration black.

All that I can think of.

I wouldn't push it by hand. IIRC, the W7s have a very tight gap and the slightest rock could be disastrous. The IDMAX used to have this issue.

All that I can think of.

Thanks guys. As far as "coil rub", I just push the sub up and down as if it is being played and hear for any rubbing noise?