Mtopper

What is this sub box?

Is it necessary to ensure that both ports are tuned equally, or is the point to have two differntly tuned ports within the same box :ughdunno:

Is it necessary to ensure that both ports are tuned equally, or is the point to have two differntly tuned ports within the same box :ughdunno:

The two ports aren't tuned equally. The ports are the same dimensions, which creates two different tuning frequencies since one chamber is half the volume of the other. The point is to have two separate tuning frequencies.

The two ports aren't tuned equally. The ports are the same dimensions, which creates two different tuning frequencies since one chamber is half the volume of the other. The point is to have two separate tuning frequencies.

Indeed, although without describing why this would be needed, ie to compensate for a certain range running out of excursion, it is a horribly stupid idea. Not that you were promoting it ;)

I will never understand the goals to do something different that has the most likely "benefit" of sounding worse and having less output. I do realize that an ideal ABC can have benefits, but seriously doubt that the guy requesting the box at all understands what they would be nor has he done the testing or modeling to realize that this is what he needs.

Most people seriously fail at a simple ported, I find it funny that they then do something like this.

Reminds me of the Isobaric push in the late 80's. First done for the right reason, copied for all the wrong. Super funny to me that this is still being done and with drivers and box spaces where it really brings nothing to the table.

Indeed, although without describing why this would be needed, ie to compensate for a certain range running out of excursion, it is a horribly stupid idea. Not that you were promoting it ;)

I will never understand the goals to do something different that has the most likely "benefit" of sounding worse and having less output. I do realize that an ideal ABC can have benefits, but seriously doubt that the guy requesting the box at all understands what they would be nor has he done the testing or modeling to realize that this is what he needs.

Most people seriously fail at a simple ported, I find it funny that they then do something like this.

Reminds me of the Isobaric push in the late 80's. First done for the right reason, copied for all the wrong. Super funny to me that this is still being done and with drivers and box spaces where it really brings nothing to the table.

10000% agreed.

I have not heard back from this guy so i highly doubt he will be having me build them. i told him that i make simple ported and sealed boxes most of the time but dabble in crazy setups like his on the rare occasion. He asked me what it would cost to have me install:

dvd navigation

6 speakers

2 amps

all the wiring

sound deadening

and both boxes

I quoted him at $500 not including the cost of the sound deadener or wood for the boxes.

he sent me a response saying that i had a very steep price and that i should only ask him for $200.

I honestly laughed when he said that to me. I told him to come out to the shop and let me look over his truck and we'll negotiate pricing from there. nothing since then

$200 might get just the nav installed around here. That's if you have your own kit and harness. Depending on where the speakers are going and how much deadening is needed he'd be looking 1000 to 1500 easy.

I don't know about other installers but I personally don't charge for my manual labor. I charge for my knowledge. If the customer thinks the guy charging a low ball price is more competant than I am, then they can go get the $200 install. However when they come back to me to fix screw-ups I have no problem charging an additional 50% jackass tax.

for sound deadening he wanted to do what i have. i went overboard and did a layer of raammat on ever inch, ensolite on all the panels and a layer of Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro on the floor.

long story short, 2 custom boxes to change between, full floor amp rack, wiring up the 6 speakers (2 door blazers have 2 dash, 2 speakers in the rear panels), sound deadening, and the head unit install along with underhood wiring upgrades.

I said prices are negotiable and feel free to suggest a lower price and we can talk