Mtopper

What is this sub box?

I have never seen this box design before. Anyone care to explain what this does?

subbox.png

i'm gonna take a stab in the dark and looks like someone tried to do an ABC box?

Isnt abc where chamber with sub gets ported then other port fires into another chamber which is ported to the outside?

interesting style of box. wonder what kind of performance comes from a box designed like that.

Aperiodic Bi Chamber (ABC) enclosure

Never seen that type of design either, curious were you saw that?

Found it here: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/dual_chamber.htm

"The primary advantage of the dual-chamber system over a simple ported system using the same driver is a further reduction in driver excursion, caused by the addition of a second port resonance within the passband of the system. This reduction in excursion results in increased power handling within the system's passband, making this type of system particularly suitable for use for drivers with low Xmax. However, because of the additional chamber and venting requirements, this system is considerably more difficult to design and build when compared to a simple vented system."

Edited by sefugi

6th order bandpass

Not a 6th order with the driver radiating directly into the listening space. A 6th order bandpass would have two independent and tuned chambers.

6thordbp.gif

That enclosure looks like a single enclosure volume with two separate tuning frequencies.

Oh, damn you ninja edited that shit Duran. Not an ABC either as there would be two separate chambers with a port connecting the two chambers.

well, some guy with a blazer wants me to build one for him. i do simple installs on weekends for some extra spending money. usually just for friends and such but this guy emailed me and wants me to build him this box and another one along with sound deaden his whole Blazer and other stuff.

I have no idea what the box will sound like or what it will accomplish. I'd just be interested in why someone would want it done to be honest.

6th order bandpass

Not a 6th order with the driver radiating directly into the listening space. A 6th order bandpass would have two independent and tuned chambers.

6thordbp.gif

That enclosure looks like a single enclosure volume with two separate tuning frequencies.

You caught me before my ninja edit, I didn't see the larger chamber opposite the woofer. :)

6th order bandpass

6thordbp.gif

You caught me before my ninja edit, I didn't see the larger chamber opposite the woofer. :)

You caught me before my ninja edit :P

I see it now. I was looking at the picture wrong, also missing the right chamber and connecting port.

I would agree, looks like it's supposed to be an ABC box.

thanks Duran. that helped a lot.

this guy did all the calculations and everything himself he said. i just have to cut the pieces and put them together. i'm just going to do as told this one. I'll post up some pictures once its done. I'm just waiting on him to get some money together before i build it for him

post pictures and let us know how it sounds.. maybe a video... :)

if he calls me back i will. i told him it'd be $200 for 2 boxes. he's yet to get back to me. its been 24 hours hahaha...

he is requesting two of the same box???

one box like that, a different box like this

weirdbox.png

this port is angled inside the box. it starts huge and tapers down. i don't know what sub is going in it either. i'll find out hopefully. Still awaiting a reply from him

Edited by Mtopper

thats not dual ported.. that's a folded horn design.

i looked closer and edited my post. you just beat me to it Shizz.... i failed

The first enclosure is an ABC enclosure

18296d1273604643-abc-box-15-re-xxx-untitled2-jpg.jpg

The second one is a rear horn design.

Second one looks very much like a transmission line, and NOT a horn since the 'port' surface actually tapers down.

THIS is a rear loaded horn:

4bj04lh.jpg

Second one looks very much like a transmission line, and NOT a horn since the 'port' surface actually tapers down.

4bj04lh.jpg

I was going to say the second is a TQWP.

I did a ABC a while ago, heres mine. These things are really heavy when done as a slot port.

ABCBox001.jpg

I've heard the second one described as a 'folded horn', or a 'tapered horn'.

4bj04lh.jpg

I did a ABC a while ago, heres mine. These things are really heavy when done as a slot port.

ABCBox001.jpg

What did it sound like?

Looks like PWK Design. He's infamous for designing enclosures similar to the drawings.

ABCBox001.jpg

What did it sound like?

It has been a long time since I have had that box. I can recall I had a Cerwin Vega V-max and no matter what enclosure I put it in I didn't care for the sound of it. When I put it in the ABC I could actually tolerate it.