tysonm

5" or 5x7

I have a 2011 Mazda 3 and I think my speakers are 5x7's, but from all the reviews i've read, most people say that round speakers are better than ovals, so would a 5" be better than a 5x7?

I would like to put 6.5" in my car but I don't know if they would fit or not.

I believe you have 6"x8"s. In that case you can buy 6"-6.5" to fit in that spot.

Which sound package do you have?

I have the non-bose 4 speaker package.

When I measured my front speakers in my doors, I measured the outsides of the bracket that speaker is in which is pretty close to the same size as the speaker, which my measurements were 8" Long x 5.75" Wide

I have the non-bose 4 speaker package.

When I measured my front speakers in my doors, I measured the outsides of the bracket that speaker is in which is pretty close to the same size as the speaker, which my measurements were 8" Long x 5.75" Wide

In other words, a 6x8 like all us ford guys. Order an adapter set from car-speaker-adapters.com

A 6x8 adapter so I can fit a 6.5" speaker?

Yes sir. The only thing is, they come with at 5.5 inch hole so you'll probably have to do a lil shaving/sanding/hit it with the dremel to get the speaker to fit but I find it better that way than to come with a giant hole or having to tell them directly what size you need. Just make the hole bigger til it fits snug. If you happen to crack or break it they'll hook you up with a new one

Awesome thank you! I am way glad to know I can fit 6.5" in :) I looked on the site you told me and didn't see my car model so I e-mailed them to see if they have that size for my model. Is there anywhere else that has the adapters for about the same price?

Awesome thank you! I am way glad to know I can fit 6.5" in :) I looked on the site you told me and didn't see my car model so I e-mailed them to see if they have that size for my model. Is there anywhere else that has the adapters for about the same price?

The most important part is to check your mounting DEPTH, as that will limit what you can get in the door more than the diameter will. And uhhhh...well there are various 6x8 to 6.5 adapters made by Scosche and Metra but those are wayyyyy small and require alot more material to be removed (which honestly after that much work you might as well just cut your own, right?) I have the 6x8 to 6.5 and they fit my 98 Explorer perfectly. I'm assuming that even though your Mazda is way newer it would be the same mounts, but I could be wrong. The cool thing about them is that if you have a drill, you can drill your own holes or even just use a phillips head to bore new holes. The material is very strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy some even if I knew I would have to drill new mounting holes. If you want pictures I could probably post some?

I decided that I will give it a shot at making my own out of 3/4" mdf, and the only part that worries me is the top half of the mounting depth, because right from my window to the top of the mounting bracking (not speaker) is 2.5" but I don't know how much room I have from the top of the mounting bracket to the back of the door panel :ehh:

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but how do I figure out what the space is from the top of the mounting speaker bracket to the back of the door panel is?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but how do I figure out what the space is from the top of the mounting speaker bracket to the back of the door panel is?

Measure it? :ughdunno:

Order an adapter set from car-speaker-adapters.com

That adapter is a piece of crap. Build your own. A speaker requires a baffle to sound good.

I decided that I will give it a shot at making my own out of 3/4" mdf, and the only part that worries me is the top half of the mounting depth, because right from my window to the top of the mounting bracking (not speaker) is 2.5" but I don't know how much room I have from the top of the mounting bracket to the back of the door panel :ehh:

Good, nice call :)

If you can't measure directly, squish some clay in there and see how much it squishes down. Then you'll know your clearance.

Order an adapter set from car-speaker-adapters.com

That adapter is a piece of crap. Build your own. A speaker requires a baffle to sound good.

Good, nice call :)

If you can't measure directly, squish some clay in there and see how much it squishes down. Then you'll know your clearance.

I lack the three T's. (Time, Tools, and Training) All I needed was a way to get 6.5's in my door. I figure deadening and sealing up the door itself will be more beneficial than the material of the adapter. They are sealed up against the door nice and tight.

To Crash, DON'T forget to treat the MDF with something or you will be very sad. As far as having room between the door panel and door itself, you should be good as long as the speaker isn't slapping the panel when it plays?

Edited by An-i-no

If I can get some time to take my panel off tomorrow I will try to see if I can measure the space between the mounting bracket and the back of the door panel and if not then I will try the clay trick. Also what do most of you find to work best for splicing wires together besides soldering? I like setups which you can unplug and plug wires easily so I don't really like butt connectors for this reason, but if I need to use them I will, but I know there are other great connectors out there.

Alright so I took off my door today and the measurement from my window to the mounting bracket (not speaker) is actually 2 3/16", the speaker bracket is 1 3/16", and the space from the speaker bracket to the door panel is 7/16", correct me if I'm wrong, but I should have 3.8" mounting depth correct?

If I can get some time to take my panel off tomorrow I will try to see if I can measure the space between the mounting bracket and the back of the door panel and if not then I will try the clay trick. Also what do most of you find to work best for splicing wires together besides soldering? I like setups which you can unplug and plug wires easily so I don't really like butt connectors for this reason, but if I need to use them I will, but I know there are other great connectors out there.

For your vehicle I would look into This.

Thanks for everyones help, it's greatly appreciated! and 98GMC thanks for that link that is actually what's next on my list to buy and I didn't know the name of that part so I am stoked that you saved me that time for having to hunt it down, haha so thanks again!