My rear axle NEVER hits the water when I launch a boat. Of course having the practice of doing it as often as I have makes that rather easy.

I've seen a lot of funky failures with people who can't tow and exactly what Ryan described. Not so amusingly it is regularly with my friends who always wonder why my stuff is more reliable that theirs....that is until I bought my Chevy which only had 28k miles on it when I purchased it. Cost WAY more to keep running than the F150 I had previous to it that I didn't buy until it had 130k

I keep looking at the Fords..............I am going to research, research, research and test drive the fuck out of trucks before I buy.

I just figure if I can trim the last through experiences I have not had then its all the better.

J

I see people doing it all the time.

Mileage means nothing to me, but I use it for resale. Most people will prefer a low mileage car thinking it's been used less so it will be in better condition and last longer.
So I'm assuming from your statement that this isn't true, or not always true?

I was just stating my opinion. I have had several low mileage vehicles that were more problematic than high mileage vehicles. Remember, cars have moving parts and seals and gaskets everywhere. These parts are designed to move and to go through heat cycles andexpand and contract many many times throughout their lifetime. When you start letting your vehicle just sit around, what do you think is happening to these parts.

I'm still not convinced on big diesel trucks. The mileage doesn't offset the fuel cost difference. The performance potential is there, but the required funds and skills to pull it off is ridiculous. To be honest, I really don't need the capability of such a vehicle. I've got a co-worker with one, a f-250. He's not really mechanically inclined, but then some of the stuff that has gone out on his truck I don't think I try to take care of myself in the drive way. The ring gear gave out and had to have it replaced. Parts and labor scratched $2k. The truck had just over 100k miles and the only heavy towing he did was a 20ft boat twice a month during the summer months. He also had trouble when he had his fuel filter replaced. It wasn't done right and the thing leaked diesel on to the clutch. Although not his fault he did get the shop to pay for it all. Needless to say the shop was out about $3k in parts and labor. Unfortunately my co-worked had to go through this hassle which dragged on for a couple of weeks. We lived near each other so I was giving him rides hear and there. Heck even oil changes are nuts. 15qts of synthetic don't come cheap. These trucks are work horses meant to make money and be written off on business taxes. For the average joe these are endless money pits. Don't get drawn into the hype. A very small few might pull off owning one of these trucks on the cheap, but that is a rare rare occurrence. Good luck and keep us posted.

I can tell you right now the reason his ring gear failed was due to the towing of the boat, although indirectly, but you know when you back the trailer down the ramp and the rear axle is submerged in water, well, guess where water goes? And guess what 99% of people never check or change. . . That's right, rear gear lube, and brake fluid, and tranny fluid. . . You get the point. Granted diesels are aimed more for towing people, but don't let the one bad experience be your basis for judging. My uncle has an 87 F-250 diesel that has towed pretty much everything from horse trailers to his farm and heavy equipment and it has also been used out in the field all it's life and he had to do nothing more than change the fluids regularly. Granted, it's rusting to shit, but it gets abused just as well. One of the guys I work with also runs a diesel shop in Southern Indiana and I am pretty certain he would disagree with you as well.

I have little to no plans of towing. Having a couple hundred pounds in the back of the cab daily? Damn straight. Occasionally hauling a bunch of shit at work, or a chest freezer, a bed, couch, or cinder blocks? Again Damn straight.

I just like knowing the power is there if I need it............Plus I have always loved the sound and feel of a Diesel.

J

Smell, gotta love the smell.

I wouldn't bother with a diesel if that's all you need it for. Any standard V8 truck should do.

Sean, do you like the smell of the fuel or the exhaust? I can not stand the fuel itself, but burned it can be enticing.

Good point Sean the burned fuel does smell fuckin great.

Plus I love the ability to leave black smoke on those stupid 'themed' shitty rimmed cars.

J

I wouldn't bother with a diesel if that's all you need it for. Any standard V8 truck should do.

Sean, do you like the smell of the fuel or the exhaust? I can not stand the fuel itself, but burned it can be enticing.

I like the smell of power :)

VROOOOOMMM!!!

I'm still not convinced on big diesel trucks.

IMHO, if you want diesel, Cummins is the only way to go.

And on an old Ram, with the 12 valve Cummins getting some decent power is simple and cheap.

BTW with my goals and desires am I being unreasonable for trying to keep it under 10 grand? I know the gas engine would be fine and its the easiest to 'downgrade' to from Diesel, but I don't want to get my hopes up consistantly.

J

I cannot say anything about the fords, but my family and I have driven GMs forever. If maintained correctly they can go to 250k. If the Chevy was a work truck and towed a lot, then it might end up needing a new transmission down the road. I currently drive an '02 GMC Yukon Denali XL (127,000 well maintained miles), I have had nothing wrong with it ever, except a head light blowing out =D. I would not buy any ex-work truck or any vehicle that looked like it hauled/towed a lot with 100,000 miles, just because the transmission most likely would go later on. (Friend's '05-06 yukon 2500 with 160,000 miles towed mostly all highway miles, tranny went died, nice new one costs them $5000-6000 last year). Had a '98 suburban SLT 1500, Mostly highway miles, rebuilt transmission @ 112,000 or 115,000 miles, then at 125,000 miles August 2010, had to replace waterpump, radiator, and rebuilt the A/C system. Everything but the transmission was expected.

Avoiding anything that was labeled a work truck, or had a 5th wheel like its the black plague.

I mean I still have about 2 mths to shop and research so time IS on my side.

J

Had a '98 suburban SLT 1500, Mostly highway miles, rebuilt transmission @ 112,000 or 115,000 miles, then at 125,000 miles August 2010, had to replace waterpump, radiator, and rebuilt the A/C system. Everything but the transmission was expected.

Especially with that god awful Dex-Cool; stuff eats gaskets like crazy :(

Remember, cars have moving parts and seals and gaskets everywhere. These parts are designed to move and to go through heat cycles andexpand and contract many many times throughout their lifetime. When you start letting your vehicle just sit around, what do you think is happening to these parts.

And guess what 99% of people never check or change. . . That's right, rear gear lube, and brake fluid, and tranny fluid. . . You get the point.

This x Eleventy billion

Remember, cars have moving parts and seals and gaskets everywhere. These parts are designed to move and to go through heat cycles andexpand and contract many many times throughout their lifetime. When you start letting your vehicle just sit around, what do you think is happening to these parts.

And guess what 99% of people never check or change. . . That's right, rear gear lube, and brake fluid, and tranny fluid. . . You get the point.

This x Eleventy billion

Hence any new vehicle getting all new fluids and filters. Rear gear lube is a possibility then too.

J

BTW with my goals and desires am I being unreasonable for trying to keep it under 10 grand? I know the gas engine would be fine and its the easiest to 'downgrade' to from Diesel, but I don't want to get my hopes up consistantly.

J

Anyone have an opinion here?

Also been looking at the Dodge Rumble Bee's.............Just looks like a fun truck.

J

Those Rumble Bees do look nice, I have not driven/rode in one though

IF I got one there goes any build besides DVD/Nav for me.............unless i could find a quad cab one.

J

I drive a '99 Corolla with 207,xxx miles. It runs fine but has been burning oil like a mug lately. We've always taken care of the car, but I won't lie, I drive it like i stole it :)

Toyota is also on the truck test list.

J

J

Tacoma's last forever! :fing34:

J

Tacoma's last forever! :fing34:

They are nice trucks, but a very tight if you are used to a full size truck.

My dads 08 Dodge Ram 2500 mega cab has 175,xxx on it.. and he just got another 2011 Ram mega cab Lorn Horn edition and has 30,xxx :rofl2: Hes a driving freak.