Sign in to follow this  
ford302redneck

Type of Aluminum?

I'm curious on what type of aluminum people use for bus bars and such?

I will be making some to fit my post batteries because I can't find any terminals I like. Plus making my own will cost less, because I need four.

I'm curious on what type of aluminum people use for bus bars and such?

I will be making some to fit my post batteries because I can't find any terminals I like. Plus making my own will cost less, because I need four.

this is probably your best bet for the best current flow

http://store.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/copper-barstock--125-thickness-unplated.html.

Edit: never mind, this place is waaaay cheaper

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2870-8204-18-x-1-ca-110-copper.aspx

or if your set on aluminium,

http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8350-2024.aspx

I've used this place a bunch for my projects

Edited by Bobobass

I think I'm going to make some out of some old scrap copper tubing. I may even play around and see if I can build some thick ones by folding the tubing several times. Do you have access to a torch, hammer, anvil, drill press and a tap?

Most common is Aluminum 6061-T6. Very good all around for welding, machining, and chewing on. If you check out the site mc master carr they have a guide on material explaining the different grades of aluminum with pro's and con's. Sorry no link, the site is build using flash or something so direct links never work. :( Do a little digging and you'll find what you need there. Good luck. :fing34:

For what you are doing it won't make a bit of difference in the electrical world. The most common aluminum is a 6061 alloy, or if you are by an aircraft plant 7075 is what they use. You can buy from McMaster Carr, but another good place for metals is www.speedymetals.com

My original plan was 6061 I believe.

Then I came across a chart and it was a big difference from 99%.

I guess why I made this thread.

And yes I have acess to a torch, hammer, anvil, drill press and a tap. If not I wouldn't be consider making my own. Lol.

I had ton of copper piping the other week. But scrap price got the best of me and I took it all. Plus I was worried somebody would steal it. Having 300 dollars worth of copper in one pile made me nervous.

Copper capers seem to be the job of choice around here the last couple years.

I didn't steal mine.

I had a old 50s Chevy truck, I'm not sure what to call it, but it was a small big rig.

Anyways, it had about a mile of copper piping on it. The truck was rusted to death, not much left, so we decided to scrap it.

I also collected copper from various places when I came across it. I usually find a 100lbs a year, pretty much laying around. Not all at the same place, but two pounds here two pounds there, it adds up quick.

I also save aluminum cans. I have around 200 dollars I need to cash in.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were a thief at all, merely stating that there is an abundance of thievin' bastards around here.

I know. I was just saying.

I think there's a bunch of thievin' bastards everywhere.

My Granny had a house she rented catch fire and pretty much burned to the ground. Long story that doesn't have effect on the story. The night after it burnt, somebody stripped it of copper. But lucky we caught the guy the next day on a bicycle with all the copper.

Couldn't get him for stealing but it is against the law in SC to be in possession of 20+ pounds of copper. Lol. Weird ass law but regardless it got that SOB.

bought a bar 1.25x1.25x36

for 36$ on amazon

they had 24in length for even less, shipped in like 2 days

search for aluminum flat bar.