edouble101

How-to remove excessive expanding foam

I used expanding foam in a can to seal off my trunk. I used it around my subwoofer enclosure and in a metal cavity between the rear seats and trunk. I let it dry for over 16 hours.

This morning on my way to work I was listening to my audio system for the first time since sealing off my trunk with expanding foam. The difference in sound volume and quality is extremely noticable.

After I arrived at work I went to put my rear seats back up and I noticed un-dried expanding foam had seeped out of a metal cavity and dripped on my XCON's cone. I really expected all of the foam to be dy after +16 hours.

How should I clean/remove the expanding foam from the XCON cone? I read that acetone is best for expanding foam removal but is acetone safe on a XCON cone?

I'm thinking maybe you should have covered your drivers ... and anything else for that matter that you didn't want to get messed up bro ...

I'm thinking maybe you should have covered your drivers ... and anything else for that matter that you didn't want to get messed up bro ...

During the initial application I did take caution in apply it. I really expected it to be all dry after over 16 hours.

I will add that before I left for work there was no seepage. After driving and sound vibrations there was seepage of un-dried foam which I did not expect after a long cure time.

is it literally "Dried" on the driver ??

Not yet. I probably have less than two hours or so until it will be more solidified since it isn't a large amount.

I need to know if acetone is harmful to the dust cap/cone and surrond on the XCON.

Best of luck to ya bro ... hopefully the XCON professionals will chime in soon ...

Yeah its phucked. It already dried on the cone and surrond. It isn't coming off without tearing the surrond. Oh well.

2011-03-24_07-55-53_756.jpg

WD-40 usually works when its still wet but damn

WD-40 usually works when its still wet but damn

I wil keep that in mind for the future.

FYI, hand lotion takes it off your skin the best.

DAMN BRO! :peepwall::ohnoes9: Sorry about the rotten luck with that foam :(

DAMN BRO! :peepwall::ohnoes9: Sorry about the rotten luck with that foam :(

The foam works great when it is dry ;) Damn XCON vibrated out all the wet chit lol.

I hope the XCON will not be negatively affected with a lil foam on the cone :peepwall:

So I should feel bad for the foam behind the XCON and got rattled into a state of ooze?...LMAO :roflmao:

Lol, no damn it, I am pee'd off! It was a great looking subwoofer! Maybe over time the XCON will rattle the foam off the cone but I doubt it. The foam is probably the most stickiest goop I ever worked with.

Recone will fix that :peepwall:

The foam is probably the most stickiest goop I ever worked with.

yep ... kinda a PITA ...

sorry to hear/see that edub ... I've used expanding foam as well but I put it in between crossbars on the trunk lid... I let it sit for 4 hours and thought it was all done. Right after re-installing the trunk lid and closing it I heard a "wet fart" noise.. I was like WTF... Good news was that I did not put anything back inside the trunk yet... I opened it up and wet foam was coming out of any hole it could find... Even got some in my hair removing the lid again for more drying... lol :suicide-santa:

You are right. I planned on switching over to two 12", so no immediate need for a recone. Are SSA XCON recones available?

sorry to hear/see that edub ... I've used expanding foam as well but I put it in between crossbars on the trunk lid... I let it sit for 4 hours and thought it was all done. Right after re-installing the trunk lid and closing it I heard a "wet fart" noise.. I was like WTF... Good news was that I did not put anything back inside the trunk yet... I opened it up and wet foam was coming out of any hole it could find... Even got some in my hair removing the lid again for more drying... lol :suicide-santa:

Dude sharts are the worse! Seriously, expanding foam can be great and also awful.

You are right. I planned on switching over to two 12", so no immediate need for a recone. Are SSA XCON recones available?

Dude sharts are the worse! Seriously, expanding foam can be great and also awful.

You can contact denim for a recone, but I recently saw a topic saying they were out of 12" D1 recones at the moment if you need D1's.

When I used an expanding foam gun I cleaned it with some kind of a spray so that the gun can be used again. Tho I haven't tried it on dried up foam it worked very well with cleaning fresh one. You should check wherever you bought the foam from for cleaner.

I can ask around, if you want and maybe tomorrow I can tell you if it can clean dry foam too. :)

Sorry to hear about the sexy woofer...

You can contact denim for a recone, but I recently saw a topic saying they were out of 12" D1 recones at the moment if you need D1's.

I will have to ask him. I have a 15D2 btw. Thanks!

When I used an expanding foam gun I cleaned it with some kind of a spray so that the gun can be used again. Tho I haven't tried it on dried up foam it worked very well with cleaning fresh one. You should check wherever you bought the foam from for cleaner.

I can ask around, if you want and maybe tomorrow I can tell you if it can clean dry foam too. :)

Sorry to hear about the sexy woofer...

That would be great, thank you. I am afraid that an acetone based cleaner would melt the surrond though.

Why don't you just try. Soak a little acetone on a towel and gently rub it on a non damaged part of the subwoofer so you can clearly see if it is doing any harm like melting it or loosing its color. Have a clean towel in your other hand if it is damaging the cone so you can wipe it out fast.

You can try the same technique on the dried foam, apply and wipe fast so it does little to none effect on the woofer.

I'll see about that foam cleaner tomorrow. What base it is on and if it will do any good on dry foam. :)

I just got the PM. I have not used ACETONE on our drivers to say yes or no. We are not out of softparts for our drivers, we are out of steel for the motor assemblies, in case anyone was questioning.