Impious

The Official TeamSSA Subwoofer Thread

As many of you know, I was looking around for a high excursion 18" driver with a relatively high efficiency, low inductance, mid Q and low Fs for primarily IB use at a price of around $300 and couldn't find anything that combined all of my criteria. So, I got ahold of Adire to see what they could cook up. Info is down below.

They "quoted" me a cost of around $250 per driver for an order quantity of 12. Plus shipping and a little give and take of the rough cost.........For now I'd say that one would run around $325 shipped to the lower 48 states (may be a little on the high side, but I'd rather over-estimate than under-estimate). I'm not making a profit on this....your price will be nothing more than actual cost + shipping.

What I'm looking for here is an official "who's in" thread, as I'll need to have a minimum of 12 of these drivers sold. Also looking for any constructive criticism if you may have any.

Proto's would be built mid- to late-January.....so this will take some time to arrive at your doorstep if it all goes through. So be sure you'll have the money then......stick it in a 3 to 6 month COD at your bank if you need to :P

T/S Params:

Fs: 22 Hz

Qms: 5.2

Qes: 0.42

Qts: 0.39

Vas: 670 liters

Sd: 1180 cm^2

Xmax: 28mm one way

SPL: 94.1 dB @ 1W, 1m

Re: 3.9 Ohms

Le: 1.5 mH

BL: 14 N/A

Mms: 152 grams

Cms: 0.35 mm/N

323229_210_full.jpg

Adire's Engineering Dept comments: "Nice and flat and extended. Really doesn

My comments from IHoP stand. Edgewound silver VC and Titanium Former! :P

By those stats it looks great, esp. the sensitivity I hardly ever see subs upwards or high 80's. 94 is freakin sick. I'm supprised they're going with the good motor for that price. All and all I think it looks like a pretty sweet deal. I'm wondering how they got the sens that high with xbl, most of their xbl stuff has pretty low sens.

later,

b

when do you need a definite confirmation on ordering one? I'm interested!

Oh squeakers, I have a real question though. What cone material are we looking at? I'm guessing a pulp of some type? Would flat-cone or poly be out of the question? If I have the spare cash in the comming 2-3 months I would be interested in one or two for a HT setup :)

I'm wondering how they got the sens that high with xbl, most of their xbl stuff has pretty low sens.

And most of their XBL^2 stuff is designed for a small box.......this thing ain't :D

But, I know Dan has mentioned in the past that XBL^2 has been used in Pro Audio drivers, with sensitivities in the 97-98db range. He uses that in his defenses against the comments like you've just mentioned.....most of the "known" XBL^2 drivers are low efficiency. But that's a function of their design and not the topology.

Frankly.....for the design I was wanting, XBL^2 just made the most sense IMHO.

when do you need a definite confirmation on ordering one? I'm interested!

ASAP. I'd like to be able to tell Adire to get moving on it next week if possible. Sooner I can get it all ordered, sooner it will be done.

BTW.....glad you like the design :D

Oh squeakers, I have a real question though. What cone material are we looking at? I'm guessing a pulp of some type? Would flat-cone or poly be out of the question? If I have the spare cash in the comming 2-3 months I would be interested in one or two for a HT setup :)

To be honest with you, I don't know right now. As long as it fits the design and budget, and is strong enough to withstand the excursion without massive flex I'm not too partial.

Flat cone I would guess would be out of the question, since I would *assume* a design involving flat cones would be more expensive. And keep in mind that, due to being high efficiency, that Mms is pretty darn low for an 18" sub. So weight of the material will be a concern aswell.

Cosmetics/appearance I'm not really worried about.....low cost and good performance are numbers 1 & 2 on the list (in no particular order :D )

I'm not talking from a cosmetics standpoint. I believe in using decent materials in a driver. Here in AZ where there is zero humidity, some materials don't last.

As for the flat cone idea...other than killing the Sd.... it might not hurt to ask? :)

sounds interesting...do we need down payment? 250 for an 18" sub of that magnitude would be a sight to own :)

if i have to pay by Jan, everythings cool.

also, wats the power handling?

Hell, even around $300 is a steal for an 18" driver.

Like I said, I'm down for 2 at least. I could possibly do more by the actual time they are ready.

On a side note, the cosmetics, as bland as possible would be nice. A Malestrom look is perfect.

wow wow...need more info!  sounds interesting....

What more info do you need? Just about everything is up there....LOL

sounds interesting...do we need down payment? 250 for an 18" sub of that magnitude would be a sight to own :)

if i have to pay by Jan, everythings cool.

also, wats the power handling?

They have a pretty decent coil, thermal power handling should be relatively high (~1kw) I'd say.

Mechanically they wouldn't need much IB. +/- 500w or so.

As for paying....the sooner the better ;) I'm really not sure how to work the payment system.....I'm thinking maybe a nonrefundable downpayment up front when they are ordered, then final payment due when they are done. Just to kind of curb many people from ordering one now and not following through.

Like I said, I'm down for 2 at least. I could possibly do more by the actual time they are ready.

On a side note, the cosmetics, as bland as possible would be nice. A Malestrom look is perfect.

Sweet deal Ryan. I'll mark you down for atleast 2.

As to the cosmetics.....I agree. Nothing fancy, just a solid performing subwoofer.

By the way fella's; While I'd like this to run through SSA, if you know any other knowledgeable members of other forums who you think may be interested, please shoot them a PM with a link to this thread. Sort of like the uberwoofer. Home Audio guys looking for a great IB subwoofer would really be ideal here aswell :D

By the way fella's; While I'd like this to run through SSA, if you know any other knowledgeable members of other forums who you think may be interested, please shoot them a PM with a link to this thread.  Sort of like the uberwoofer.  Home Audio guys looking for a great IB subwoofer would really be ideal here aswell :D

okay ill get Sblazer over here so he can stop humping alpines leg.

i was kidding.

By the way fella's; While I'd like this to run through SSA, if you know any other knowledgeable members of other forums who you think may be interested, please shoot them a PM with a link to this thread.  Sort of like the uberwoofer.  Home Audio guys looking for a great IB subwoofer would really be ideal here aswell :D

okay ill get Sblazer over here so he can stop humping alpines leg.

i was kidding.

I would shoot you.

Seriously. Hunt you down and shoot you.

* Thread pinned.

Much love! :fing34:

If I didn't have too many projects already on the go, I would be in this like a necrophiliac at the morgue. But, alas, I will have to watch this from the sidelines.

humm, I have no idea what I would do with one, I have more subs than I need as it is and i have yet to order my competition subs for next year

Brad - count me out.

:cries:

*screams from the back row*

Booooooo

Additional Info:

"We'll use our 44 Magnum motor, 44mm thick top plate, XBL^2,

3" diameter voice coil, 180mm diameter magnets. It uses a 4 layer, copper clad aluminum wire, 22 AWG wire, with a winding length of 33.5mm. Single 4ohm nominal coil."

what Adire driver uses the 44 magnum motor?

GODDAMNIT!!!!! I'm trying to get my car's electrical up to par and what do you do?? You come in with this knowing damn well I'm gonna buy one and you just taunt me with it!!!!

I hate you, I'm in, don't talk to me! (j/k let me know all the details.)