slim2fattycake

Special DD subs

Can anyone tell me what's so special about the 9500 series and below? Why is the 3515 series map $500? The AQ HDC3 is way less, the Fi BL is way less, Hell the BTL N2 is less as well. Please, I feel really retarded that I don't hang from DD's nuts since their products are so superior. Please tell me why I should get a DD3500 series sub and pay $500 map pricing or tell me what I am not understanding. I posted here to get non-nuthuggery answers.

To avoid anyone being insulted, I'll just say what I know about them. Fairly strong motors, short coils, TONS of laminated spiders (I dissected a 3500, and it had six laminated spiders, which were extremely brittle, that's just a drawback of that type of spider, they dryrot) direct leads, and ultralight cones, that's about all there is, the technology behind them is very old for a subwoofer, nothing special.

What do you mean avoid anyone being insulted? Insult me if I'm retarded.

Not you, just don't wanna piss off any nutthuggers ;)

If you are in the game for SPL, or a substage that will bang out some upper 40 hz. frequencies pretty hard, get DD.

Also, if you are looking at Fi woofers comparable, it'd be the N3, not the N2.

What do you mean avoid anyone being insulted? Insult me if I'm retarded.

Doesn't want to insult any DD owners, don't want to bash what their using.

Not you, just don't wanna piss off any nutthuggers ;)

If you are in the game for SPL, or a substage that will bang out some upper 40 hz. frequencies pretty hard, get DD.

Also, if you are looking at Fi woofers comparable, it'd be the N3, not the N2.

You telling me the N3 is comparable to the DD3500? :WTFBubble:

I know someone that does extremely well with the older ufo BTLs in spl. He actually was louder with the BTL vs the DD9500 on less power.

As Duran stated the spiders are very thin and seem to be the first thing to fail when they do fail. A great brand with a great product, but just not what I want in sound from a subwoofer. Imo they are very expensive for what you get. I would rather go with Fi, Incriminator, SSA or Sundown :drink40:

As Duran stated the spiders are very thin and seem to be the first thing to fail when they do fail. A great brand with a great product, but just not what I want in sound from a subwoofer. Imo they are very expensive for what you get. I would rather go with Fi, Incriminator, SSA or Sundown :drink40:

Agreed.

Wow, so much misinformation on DD's in here. I don't even know where to begin.

Anywhere? :ughdunno:

at least something other than "so much wrong" :ughdunno:

Enlighten us with what makes DD so special other than they get loud :P

To avoid anyone being insulted, I'll just say what I know about them. Fairly strong motors, short coils, TONS of laminated spiders (I dissected a 3500, and it had six laminated spiders, which were extremely brittle, that's just a drawback of that type of spider, they dryrot) direct leads, and ultralight cones, that's about all there is, the technology behind them is very old for a subwoofer, nothing special.

what about the fact that they use all american parts like your beloved Fi, what about the fact that they have the second largest magntizer in the U.S., what about the fact that they have incorporated cooling and coil inventions that every other company disects only to steal ideas from.

to answer, no the 3500 is not worth the price. your dealer is shitting on you. my dealer sells those for 295. the 9500 or z is what you want.

First being, DD woofers play the same and sound the same as ANY other woofer. It's ALL box dependent.

DD's advantage to most is their motor force, and other motor innovations.

what about the fact that they use all american parts like your beloved Fi, what about the fact that they have the second largest magntizer in the U.S., what about the fact that they have incorporated cooling and coil inventions that every other company disects only to steal ideas from.

to answer, no the 3500 is not worth the price. your dealer is shitting on you. my dealer sells those for 295. the 9500 or z is what you want.

American parts...cool. Big ass magnetizer...I don't give a damn about. Super neat cooling designs...cool. So all this means their stuff should be more expensive right? Or that the dealer gets to charge whatever right?

The magnet slugs are not US made. There are no more US made permanent magnets.

MAP is a suggestedprice. If you dont have a dealer in 50 miles call DD. Talk to them. They will sell direct and at damn good prices.

Trust me I got 4 9512's on Black Friday..............money well spent is what its going to be.

J

Want me to drive over there and pick you some up?

Hmmmm what kind of pricing do you get to go there in person/

Might have an order.

J

what about the fact that they use all american parts like your beloved Fi, what about the fact that they have the second largest magntizer in the U.S., what about the fact that they have incorporated cooling and coil inventions that every other company disects only to steal ideas from.to answer, no the 3500 is not worth the price. your dealer is shitting on you. my dealer sells those for 295. the 9500 or z is what you want.

What makes having the 2nd largest magnetizer in the US have to do with making the lines from 9500 and below any more special than another sub? What cooling is different on those lines and coil inventions? The price was posted on CA.com by a dealer and no one said it was too much. :trippy:

First being, DD woofers play the same and sound the same as ANY other woofer. It's ALL box dependent. DD's advantage to most is their motor force, and other motor innovations.

I never said they didn't sound the same or anything. I am saying they aren't special. What is special about their motors besides the three Zs.

what about the fact that they use all american parts like your beloved Fi, what about the fact that they have the second largest magntizer in the U.S., what about the fact that they have incorporated cooling and coil inventions that every other company disects only to steal ideas from.to answer, no the 3500 is not worth the price. your dealer is shitting on you. my dealer sells those for 295. the 9500 or z is what you want.

What makes having the 2nd largest magnetizer in the US have to do with making the lines from 9500 and below any more special than another sub? What cooling is different on those lines and coil inventions? The price was posted on CA.com by a dealer and no one said it was too much. :trippy:

First being, DD woofers play the same and sound the same as ANY other woofer. It's ALL box dependent. DD's advantage to most is their motor force, and other motor innovations.

I never said they didn't sound the same or anything. I am saying they aren't special. What is special about their motors besides the three Zs.

I'm right there with you. The proof is in the puddin'.

And if they don't play any different then...the consumer should pay more why?

I bought a pair of 3515D's direct from DD like an idiot...this was about 5 years ago, paid $840 for the pair. I know the 3515's nowadays run around $500 with zero options.

Please tell me what special cooling and coil innovations they have?

I know your not talking about machined slots in the topplate and cross drilled holes in the former... Cause these aint special, and DD did not invent it.

All this talk about motor force, but what people don't understand there comes a point where to much motor force actually decreases SPL.

And those superlight cones that need a expensive CF dustcap just so it won't fold. Then when you reach a certain point have to spend even more money on a composite cone.

Why does one tire cost more than another? They are all just rubber right? Why does a Lexus cost more than a Hyundai? They are both just plastic and steel. Why is gas higher in one part of the country versus another? It's all the same fuel . .

Notice anything?