slim2fattycake

Special DD subs

To avoid anyone being insulted, I'll just say what I know about them. Fairly strong motors, short coils, TONS of laminated spiders (I dissected a 3500, and it had six laminated spiders, which were extremely brittle, that's just a drawback of that type of spider, they dryrot) direct leads, and ultralight cones, that's about all there is, the technology behind them is very old for a subwoofer, nothing special.

what about the fact that they use all american parts like your beloved Fi, what about the fact that they have the second largest magntizer in the U.S., what about the fact that they have incorporated cooling and coil inventions that every other company disects only to steal ideas from.

to answer, no the 3500 is not worth the price. your dealer is shitting on you. my dealer sells those for 295. the 9500 or z is what you want.

American parts...cool. Big ass magnetizer...I don't give a damn about. Super neat cooling designs...cool. So all this means their stuff should be more expensive right? Or that the dealer gets to charge whatever right?

no not really, DD is a business, and most companies will make a nice 60% margin on your dumb asses, i would much rather buy other subs if i didnt buy my dds at cost. and the next thing.. the motor force like said before is almost unmatched, DDs have thrown some of the highest gauss numbers PERIOD. i agree for the price dealers sell them for i would NEVER BUY THEM.

but in the end DD has the most subwoofer world records period

Yeah the Zs. I didn't ask what's special about the Zs.

Zs can be 2000

heres a link to my new custom 9500

if you have the cash, depening on what you want to do... spend it elsewhere

Show us actual pics of the so called SPL Sub! Not a link to another forum!

Why does one tire cost more than another? They are all just rubber right? Why does a Lexus cost more than a Hyundai? They are both just plastic and steel. Why is gas higher in one part of the country versus another? It's all the same fuel . .

Notice anything?

Brand name/some will pay more just because? Would you buy the same vehicle for double the price if it had a Lexus emblem on instead of a Toyota emblem?

Also, chris the man doesn't pay the price everyone else would as he said he wouldn't pay for DD like the rest of us would either.

I got mine for 3 reasons

1) Ability to take the power I am planning on using while being able to go into the vehicle(s) I have in mind with ease

2) Durability. I never have had a problem with them 'blowing out' on me with a clean unclipped signal unless I over powered them like all hell.

3) Wow factor. People in my area do not run DD. I have shown them SSA and they loved it. I would of kept with SSA if they had something that could take 2500 rms daily and not be over what I paid for the DD's. If I can sell the DD's and not lose a dime I may change to ZCON's when I get back, but until then its all up in the air.

Lemme ask this, if they price mind fucked you so bad, are you actually considering them, or is this just a 'lets start a discussion to see what I can find out' type thread?

J

I got mine for 3 reasons

1) Ability to take the power I am planning on using while being able to go into the vehicle(s) I have in mind with ease

2) Durability. I never have had a problem with them 'blowing out' on me with a clean unclipped signal unless I over powered them like all hell.

3) Wow factor. People in my area do not run DD. I have shown them SSA and they loved it. I would of kept with SSA if they had something that could take 2500 rms daily and not be over what I paid for the DD's. If I can sell the DD's and not lose a dime I may change to ZCON's when I get back, but until then its all up in the air.

Lemme ask this, if they price mind fucked you so bad, are you actually considering them, or is this just a 'lets start a discussion to see what I can find out' type thread?

J

But you basically described really any decent sub company person with higher powered subs. Fi for one.

I would consider the Zs if I was into hardcore SPL but that's about it. Nothing about the rest of their lineup makes me want to pay the price without going to another company. I started this as a find out type of thread. With the 3515's price tag, I can get an N2 BTL. It spawned from another thread that no one could tell me why they would recommend the dd3515 over the AQ HDC3 or FI BL.

what the fuck are you talking about you can see the pics in that link?

I got mine for 3 reasons

J

But you basically described really any decent sub company person with higher powered subs. Fi for one.

I would consider the Zs if I was into hardcore SPL but that's about it. Nothing about the rest of their lineup makes me want to pay the price without going to another company. I started this as a find out type of thread. With the 3515's price tag, I can get an N2 BTL. It spawned from another thread that no one could tell me why they would recommend the dd3515 over the AQ HDC3 or FI BL.

I started a thread just like this on 5 other sites. But i was calling out the SSA ZCON. with an estimated 500$ price tag. Why would someone buy a ZCON for 500 when they can get a better n2? this is a business and people dont understand that. no body cares about you, or your setup. they care about your wallet. SSA, DD, and AA for example. all high end retailers, that are in for the kill on some cash money. DD does the best to be honest. my friend brian who is a AA dealer, makes decent margin, but DD is the best money maker.

also whoever said a 3500 over an HDC is horiibly mistaken, my old HDC motor is almost as big as my 9500

heres an insider tip

the SSA ZCON basically uses the old crossfire motor that Fi oemd. i could buy that sub for 300$ back in the day, now they have brought back the same motor, made it a little better and JACKED UP THE PRICE. why... TO MAKE MONEY!!!!

theese subs look famaliar to your HDC, 3500, and ZCON?

this is the AB VFL, which basically uses the 3500 motor for half the price

http://www.kochaudio.de/shop/index.php?cPath=196_930_937&osCsid=9f18c59201d4eecd74aef550408c140b

AB XFL look like the HDC? carbon cone, dd basket, direct connects, JUST A DIFFERENT DUSTCAP!!!

http://www.americanbassusa.com/front/showcontent.aspx?fileid=213

Crossfire AHHHH, my favorite company. i am trying out for the team this year. here is the original ZCON, what you guys are about to pay 500$ for

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/htdoc/cf_m01_product_05_xs.asp

business is business

go fuck yourselves

Edited by chris the man

I got mine for 3 reasons

J

Okay that I can completly understand.

I wish I could give you a review on the subs you mentioned but I have only used the DD 3512's and the 9500 series (each size but different motors). I will tell you this, AudioQue IS a company that 'spawned' from DD from what I remember being informed. Alot of their motor, and coil designs mimic or are influenced from DD at a better price.

For me it just boils down to what I have used, what I have seen and experienced in someone else's vehicle and price that effects my opinions. I have gone against those guidelines ONE time. That was during the middle of my last tour when the SSA iCON's were coming out. I got 4 10" iCON's to try out with 2 Sundown 1500d's. I absolutly LOVED those subs. They are still some of my favorites. If things had gone differently I would still have them.

I wish I could better explain the 'rational' behind their prices but I cannot. The reviews of their equipment, the record books, and the in car trials speak for themselves. But like everything else in this 'hobby' it is install and user preference dependent.

Let me ask in case you have not said or I missed it, what are the goals for your install? Maybe the 3500 from DD will do what you want, then again maybe Fi's N2 BTL will suffice here as well.

J

I am no expert, but I know enough to know that just because a subwoofer looks like another, they are no where near the same thing. Anyways I have never owned DD, doubt I ever will. Expensive subs are over rated. Getting loud with cheap subs is more impressive, anyone can buy 2 bad ass 18s and 4kw and be loud as shit.

I got mine for 3 reasons

J

I started a thread just like this on 5 other sites. But i was calling out the SSA ZCON. with an estimated 500$ price tag. Why would someone buy a ZCON for 500 when they can get a better n2? this is a business and people dont understand that. no body cares about you, or your setup. they care about your wallet. SSA, DD, and AA for example. all high end retailers, that are in for the kill on some cash money. DD does the best to be honest. my friend brian who is a AA dealer, makes decent margin, but DD is the best money maker.

also whoever said a 3500 over an HDC is horiibly mistaken, my old HDC motor is almost as big as my 9500

heres an insider tip

the SSA ZCON basically uses the old crossfire motor that Fi oemd. i could buy that sub for 300$ back in the day, now they have brought back the same motor, made it a little better and JACKED UP THE PRICE. why... TO MAKE MONEY!!!!

http://www.kochaudio.de/shop/index.php?cPath=196_930_937&osCsid=9f18c59201d4eecd74aef550408c140b

AB XFL look like the HDC? carbon cone, dd basket, direct connects, JUST A DIFFERENT DUSTCAP!!!

Crossfire AHHHH, my favorite company. i am trying out for the team this year. here is the original ZCON, what you guys are about to pay 500$ for

business is business

go fuck yourselves

Wow hostile much? Yes this is a business, and making money is the end goal. Congrats glad you figured that out all by yourself.

Now let me ask you this, have you used PERSONALLY each sub you bothered to mention in your post?

And I'm really proud that you equate SSA and Crossfire. Its a great comparison, especially when its made 'a little better'. That being said what was 'back in the day' when you cold get the XS from Crossfire for 300 bones? Was it within the past year? Two years? Five years? Time changes price guy. Quite alot. Just look at gas and vehicles.

J

:ohnoes9: UMAD? Butt hurt? Sand in your vag? You spout nothing but :bull: and nobody here cares what you say DIPSHIT!

Quit acting like a keyboard commando, obviously you have small dick disease and feel the need to act like a :loser:

:squintfinger:

I understand companies are out to make money but not the forum members that should help each other.

I understand companies are out to make money but not the forum members that should help each other.

Just like you were educating me on CACO on your meter, I am trying to help you make an informed decision on DD's.

J

I got mine for 3 reasons

J

heres an insider tip

business is business

go fuck yourselves

Wow hostile much? Yes this is a business, and making money is the end goal. Congrats glad you figured that out all by yourself.

Now let me ask you this, have you used PERSONALLY each sub you bothered to mention in your post?

And I'm really proud that you equate SSA and Crossfire. Its a great comparison, especially when its made 'a little better'. That being said what was 'back in the day' when you cold get the XS from Crossfire for 300 bones? Was it within the past year? Two years? Five years? Time changes price guy. Quite alot. Just look at gas and vehicles.

J

alright here we go

hostile much? Yes this is a business, and making money is the end goal. Congrats glad you figured that out all by yourself

Didnt see you come up with any of this before me?

let me ask you this, have you used PERSONALLY each sub you bothered to mention in your post?

i currently own an HDC, and i have already disected my friends VFL, not the XFL... heres my youtube, and you can find the others on his

youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/illredsea?feature=mhum

I'm really proud that you equate SSA and Crossfire. Its a great comparison, especially when its made 'a little better'. That being said what was 'back in the day' when you cold get the XS from Crossfire for 300 bones? Was it within the past year? Two years? Five years? Time changes price guy. Quite alot. Just look at gas and vehicles.

Back in the day was winter of 2010, when they still carried the XS v.1, now they have the Fi made XS v.2 which basically uses the mayhem motor with a 4" coil. Ofcourse time changes price, but 1 year and 200$ dollars? so that means the inflation rate would be close to 200%? yeah not happening...

i dont want to argue with you, i personally like you and what you have to say. so ill leave it at that. i have tried several subs and a few of which we are talking about here.

:ohnoes9: UMAD? Butt hurt? Sand in your vag? You spout nothing but :bull:and nobody here cares what you say DIPSHIT!

Quit acting like a keyboard commando, obviously you have small dick disease and feel the need to act like a :loser:

:squintfinger:

your not even making sense man

lol id beat you up in a hurry

Just like you were educating me on CACO on your meter, I am trying to help you make an informed decision on DD's.

J

I get you, I was making a reference to the thread on CA that got me started on this thread.

lol id beat you up in a hurry

:yaya:

No pics to see on that other forum!

we gotta sign up to be able to see.

my bad, thanks for the PROPER correction

old coil

dd1.jpg

dd2.jpg

new coil

dd3.jpg

dd5.jpg

I got mine for 3 reasons

J

heres an insider tip

business is business

go fuck yourselves

J

alright here we go

hostile much? Yes this is a business, and making money is the end goal. Congrats glad you figured that out all by yourself

Didnt see you come up with any of this before me?

let me ask you this, have you used PERSONALLY each sub you bothered to mention in your post?

i currently own an HDC, and i have already disected my friends VFL, not the XFL... heres my youtube, and you can find the others on his

youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/illredsea?feature=mhum

I'm really proud that you equate SSA and Crossfire. Its a great comparison, especially when its made 'a little better'. That being said what was 'back in the day' when you cold get the XS from Crossfire for 300 bones? Was it within the past year? Two years? Five years? Time changes price guy. Quite alot. Just look at gas and vehicles.

Back in the day was winter of 2010, when they still carried the XS v.1, now they have the Fi made XS v.2 which basically uses the mayhem motor with a 4" coil. Ofcourse time changes price, but 1 year and 200$ dollars? so that means the inflation rate would be close to 200%? yeah not happening...

i dont want to argue with you, i personally like you and what you have to say. so ill leave it at that. i have tried several subs and a few of which we are talking about here.

Ah brother no argument man. Just a debate. And I appreciate the respect. Trust me it goes both ways.

I can understand your points, I just alos see it as you do. It is a business. At the nd of the day making coin is the bottom line. If it wasn't we'd all be able to afford the best of the best. As for the Crossfire XS series, I haven't messed with them at all since about 2004-2005. They just went down hill pretty bad at that point IMO. As for the 1 year and 200 dollar increase I can agree it is 'extreme' but isn't there also the possibility that there is money being spent on design license, and trademark or patent use? That would also effect the price of the sub QUITE alot.

Either way pricing changes often depending on alot of factors. Its rather shitty since this is already a VERY expensive hobby, but thats life.

:)

J

Chris, Fi made the Crossfire XS V.1, and XS-SPL V.1. You have a habit of only looking at the outside of a motor and saying it looks like another woofer that may look similar, but be COMPLETELY different.

Also, keep it civil in here fellas.

Why does one tire cost more than another? They are all just rubber right? Why does a Lexus cost more than a Hyundai? They are both just plastic and steel. Why is gas higher in one part of the country versus another? It's all the same fuel . .

Notice anything?

Exactly! I have owned a 3518 and loved it! But is it worth the price? Absolutely not IMHO. I received it in a trade and do not regret it but it is long gone. I had it tuned to 38 hz and it still killed the lows. To this day I still consider it one of the best subsonic woofers I have ever owned. But again,IMHO, Its not worth anywhere near the MAP pricing.