slim2fattycake

Special DD subs

Why does one tire cost more than another? They are all just rubber right? Why does a Lexus cost more than a Hyundai? They are both just plastic and steel. Why is gas higher in one part of the country versus another? It's all the same fuel . .

Notice anything?

If my Hyundai was just as good a vehicle as the Lexus, those tires just as good as the more expensive ones, and the additives in the cheap fuel just as good as the not cheap fuel...you understand where this is going. Sure, every company has markup and "Name recognition prices" but it doesn't = better product. DD's 3500 and under (remember, that's what the thread is about)almost always aren't worth what people want for them. As a company, when you look at that, that has to call your attention. But hell, the turnover is so huge on them I'd doubt they notice.

I've got a pair of DD9515g. I got them because they are good subs and I liked what I heard when demoing other users cars. Why these over Fi, SSA, or Incriminator Audio? I bought mine on the cheap, NIB, off some guy on Craigslist strapped for cash. Muahahahahah!

Show us actual pics of the so called SPL Sub! Not a link to another forum!

what the fuck are you talking about you can see the pics in that link?

:ohnoes9: UMAD? Butt hurt? Sand in your vag? You spout nothing but :bull:and nobody here cares what you say DIPSHIT!

Quit acting like a keyboard commando, obviously you have small dick disease and feel the need to act like a :loser:

:squintfinger:

your not even making sense man

lol id beat you up in a hurry

Better lose the attitude buddy.

Chris, Fi made the Crossfire XS V.1, and XS-SPL V.1. You have a habit of only looking at the outside of a motor and saying it looks like another woofer that may look similar, but be COMPLETELY different.

Also, keep it civil in here fellas.

Exactly.

People are just fucking idiots when it comes to motors. If it looks anything similar iT HAS to be the same. Right?

Bahahaha. I do like how my question on page two about DD inovation cooiling and coils was addressed.

The "special" cooling on the motor is simple cooling channels drilled vertically into the ID of the top plate, nothing special, coil "innovations" include making the coil shorted, on a normal sized former and drilling holes in it, again, nothing special.

I got mine for 3 reasons

1) Ability to take the power I am planning on using while being able to go into the vehicle(s) I have in mind with ease

2) Durability. I never have had a problem with them 'blowing out' on me with a clean unclipped signal unless I over powered them like all hell.

3) Wow factor. People in my area do not run DD. I have shown them SSA and they loved it. I would of kept with SSA if they had something that could take 2500 rms daily and not be over what I paid for the DD's. If I can sell the DD's and not lose a dime I may change to ZCON's when I get back, but until then its all up in the air.

Lemme ask this, if they price mind fucked you so bad, are you actually considering them, or is this just a 'lets start a discussion to see what I can find out' type thread?

J

But you basically described really any decent sub company person with higher powered subs. Fi for one.

I would consider the Zs if I was into hardcore SPL but that's about it. Nothing about the rest of their lineup makes me want to pay the price without going to another company. I started this as a find out type of thread. With the 3515's price tag, I can get an N2 BTL. It spawned from another thread that no one could tell me why they would recommend the dd3515 over the AQ HDC3 or FI BL.

I started a thread just like this on 5 other sites. But i was calling out the SSA ZCON. with an estimated 500$ price tag. Why would someone buy a ZCON for 500 when they can get a better n2? this is a business and people dont understand that. no body cares about you, or your setup. they care about your wallet. SSA, DD, and AA for example. all high end retailers, that are in for the kill on some cash money. DD does the best to be honest. my friend brian who is a AA dealer, makes decent margin, but DD is the best money maker.

also whoever said a 3500 over an HDC is horiibly mistaken, my old HDC motor is almost as big as my 9500

heres an insider tip

the SSA ZCON basically uses the old crossfire motor that Fi oemd. i could buy that sub for 300$ back in the day, now they have brought back the same motor, made it a little better and JACKED UP THE PRICE. why... TO MAKE MONEY!!!!

theese subs look famaliar to your HDC, 3500, and ZCON?

this is the AB VFL, which basically uses the 3500 motor for half the price

http://www.kochaudio.de/shop/index.php?cPath=196_930_937&osCsid=9f18c59201d4eecd74aef550408c140b

AB XFL look like the HDC? carbon cone, dd basket, direct connects, JUST A DIFFERENT DUSTCAP!!!

http://www.americanbassusa.com/front/showcontent.aspx?fileid=213

Crossfire AHHHH, my favorite company. i am trying out for the team this year. here is the original ZCON, what you guys are about to pay 500$ for

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/htdoc/cf_m01_product_05_xs.asp

business is business

go fuck yourselves

Couldn't be more wrong about the zcon/crossfire sub :)

:eek5wavey:

The "special" cooling on the motor is simple cooling channels drilled vertically into the ID of the top plate, nothing special, coil "innovations" include making the coil shorted, on a normal sized former and drilling holes in it, again, nothing special.

In this day and age of been there done that nothing is really special. Even more so for use who roam this online world. This comment ^^^ reminds me of a signature someone quoted in their sig: Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats. Howard Aiken.

You are also missing the cost difference in all of the pieces used as well.

1) It is not a mayhem motor with a 4 inch coil, the ID on the magnets used on the mayehm are 25mm tighter than the ones used with a 4" coil.

2) There is more steel there with a 4 inch pole.

3) Top plate is definitely different and the motor is chrome finished as well.

4) 4 inch coil costs almost double what a 3 inch coil does, as does the basket, and does the suspension.

The price difference reflects cost difference...and its their business, not mine. I just want to correct your statements as they are incorrect.

To the guy that was arguing that brand X has the strongest gauss motors in the world:

Food for thought:

I can take a top plate and shrink it down to 1/4" tall on a 190mm diameter motor...and make it have say an arbitrary 10,000 guass...that's great, but how tall is your gap height? (The answer is 1/4 inch) So, when your coil is in motion, it is only in that high concentration of gauss for 1/4"..if the coil is 2.8" this means that the wire is away from the B portion of (B x L) for over 70% of the time...which causes tons of distortion issues and HUGE swings in regards to your inductance curve..amongst other things.

You then have things like we developed in supergauss, which has a common main gap that has say an arbitrary 8000 gauss through out the entire 2.4" tall gap height, instead of the 1/4" that we had before. So when you slap a split coil or a main coil in there that is 1.4 or 2.8" long this means that the wire is in a high concentration of flux density..through out the entire range of movement. You have less distortion, less flux modulation, and less inductance shift..because the wire does not move out of the area of high concentration.

The point of a permanent magnet structure is to have steel where the wire of the coil is, if you cross drill and get rid of steel where it should be (pole piece etc.)..you lose motor strength. Meaning you have to change from a 220mm motor to a 280mm motor..to get the same parameters...because you took the steel away from where it needs to be.

I can bench race all day long. There isn't anybody else in the industry that can say that all of our steel is dug out of the ground here, forged here, machined in house here exactly to your order for the price point that we do it at.

:captain:

See what I mean, about the whole having to ram ideas into people's heads.

Thanks for taking the time Nick. There are a few of us here who appreciate and enjoy reading the inside info.

You are also missing the cost difference in all of the pieces used as well.

1) It is not a mayhem motor with a 4 inch coil, the ID on the magnets used on the mayehm are 25mm tighter than the ones used with a 4" coil.

2) There is more steel there with a 4 inch pole.

3) Top plate is definitely different and the motor is chrome finished as well.

4) 4 inch coil costs almost double what a 3 inch coil does, as does the basket, and does the suspension.

The price difference reflects cost difference...and its their business, not mine. I just want to correct your statements as they are incorrect.

To the guy that was arguing that brand X has the strongest gauss motors in the world:

Food for thought:

I can take a top plate and shrink it down to 1/4" tall on a 190mm diameter motor...and make it have say an arbitrary 10,000 guass...that's great, but how tall is your gap height? (The answer is 1/4 inch) So, when your coil is in motion, it is only in that high concentration of gauss for 1/4"..if the coil is 2.8" this means that the wire is away from the B portion of (B x L) for over 70% of the time...which causes tons of distortion issues and HUGE swings in regards to your inductance curve..amongst other things.

You then have things like we developed in supergauss, which has a common main gap that has say an arbitrary 8000 gauss through out the entire 2.4" tall gap height, instead of the 1/4" that we had before. So when you slap a split coil or a main coil in there that is 1.4 or 2.8" long this means that the wire is in a high concentration of flux density..through out the entire range of movement. You have less distortion, less flux modulation, and less inductance shift..because the wire does not move out of the area of high concentration.

The point of a permanent magnet structure is to have steel where the wire of the coil is, if you cross drill and get rid of steel where it should be (pole piece etc.)..you lose motor strength. Meaning you have to change from a 220mm motor to a 280mm motor..to get the same parameters...because you took the steel away from where it needs to be.

I can bench race all day long. There isn't anybody else in the industry that can say that all of our steel is dug out of the ground here, forged here, machined in house here exactly to your order for the price point that we do it at.

:captain:

See what I mean, about the whole having to ram ideas into people's heads.

Thanks for taking the time Nick. There are a few of us here who appreciate and enjoy reading the inside info.

Not a problem. I'm not a fan of mis-information.

More motor strength is not always better, we've been there and figured that out with the really strong supergauss motors that we've made. The Qts starts out at .02 and it shifts to .08 in play...which yields a peak in the 180-190Hz range with nearly a pound of moving mass...

If you have a Kia rio..something that goes good on gas mileage and gets you from a-b, there is no point trying to drop a top fuel nitro engine in it. You will never ever hook that stock p185 series tire with front wheel drive...all that you will accomplish is burning rubber.

Which..if burning rubber is your goal, then I guess mission accomplished.

I can make something have 1.2 tesla in a minuscule sized gap for bench racing and bragging rights...doesn't mean it is going to be worth its weight in salt though.

:morepower1:

I got mine for 3 reasons

1) Ability to take the power I am planning on using while being able to go into the vehicle(s) I have in mind with ease

2) Durability. I never have had a problem with them 'blowing out' on me with a clean unclipped signal unless I over powered them like all hell.

3) Wow factor. People in my area do not run DD. I have shown them SSA and they loved it. I would of kept with SSA if they had something that could take 2500 rms daily and not be over what I paid for the DD's. If I can sell the DD's and not lose a dime I may change to ZCON's when I get back, but until then its all up in the air.

Lemme ask this, if they price mind fucked you so bad, are you actually considering them, or is this just a 'lets start a discussion to see what I can find out' type thread?

J

But you basically described really any decent sub company person with higher powered subs. Fi for one.

I would consider the Zs if I was into hardcore SPL but that's about it. Nothing about the rest of their lineup makes me want to pay the price without going to another company. I started this as a find out type of thread. With the 3515's price tag, I can get an N2 BTL. It spawned from another thread that no one could tell me why they would recommend the dd3515 over the AQ HDC3 or FI BL.

I started a thread just like this on 5 other sites. But i was calling out the SSA ZCON. with an estimated 500$ price tag. Why would someone buy a ZCON for 500 when they can get a better n2? this is a business and people dont understand that. no body cares about you, or your setup. they care about your wallet. SSA, DD, and AA for example. all high end retailers, that are in for the kill on some cash money. DD does the best to be honest. my friend brian who is a AA dealer, makes decent margin, but DD is the best money maker.

also whoever said a 3500 over an HDC is horiibly mistaken, my old HDC motor is almost as big as my 9500

heres an insider tip

the SSA ZCON basically uses the old crossfire motor that Fi oemd. i could buy that sub for 300$ back in the day, now they have brought back the same motor, made it a little better and JACKED UP THE PRICE. why... TO MAKE MONEY!!!!

http://www.kochaudio.de/shop/index.php?cPath=196_930_937&osCsid=9f18c59201d4eecd74aef550408c140b

AB XFL look like the HDC? carbon cone, dd basket, direct connects, JUST A DIFFERENT DUSTCAP!!!

Crossfire AHHHH, my favorite company. i am trying out for the team this year. here is the original ZCON, what you guys are about to pay 500$ for

business is business

go fuck yourselves

The above in red is INCORRECT. The Zcon is it's own motor, same for the Xcon. The Crossfire you are referencing is related to and older Fi driver, NOT the Zcon. The Zcon does not use a 4" coil. The Zcon is not in the same segment at the HDC or 3500. The Zcon does not sacrifice decent sound for maximum output. We are not after the same market segment at the HDC or 3500.

I got mine for 3 reasons

J

heres an insider tip

business is business

go fuck yourselves

Wow hostile much? Yes this is a business, and making money is the end goal. Congrats glad you figured that out all by yourself.

Now let me ask you this, have you used PERSONALLY each sub you bothered to mention in your post?

And I'm really proud that you equate SSA and Crossfire. Its a great comparison, especially when its made 'a little better'. That being said what was 'back in the day' when you cold get the XS from Crossfire for 300 bones? Was it within the past year? Two years? Five years? Time changes price guy. Quite alot. Just look at gas and vehicles.

J

J, None of our products are Crossfire products re-badged. The Crossfire in question is related to the old Q.

Chris, Fi made the Crossfire XS V.1, and XS-SPL V.1. You have a habit of only looking at the outside of a motor and saying it looks like another woofer that may look similar, but be COMPLETELY different.

Also, keep it civil in here fellas.

THIS!!

Nick FTW.

I'm glad somebody still takes the time to explain things to ignorant people, who thinks they know it all, all because things look similar.

I do find it quiet amazing just cause something comes from the same place and looks similar, then it has to be the same.

***Take a Ford Mustang.

You got the base model v6 200hp

Then got the Cobra 400hp

They look very similar. To most people, they couldn't tell the real difference. But does that mean I can buy the v6 and expect the same performance as the cobra? Since there made at the same place, looks similar, they have to be the same, right? No.

***Example only. Just to prove a point. Numbers and stats may vary.

Also, Chris you are semi correct with your HDC3 statement being very similar to the AB XFL. Thing about it, the AB at dealer cost is quiet a bit less than the AQ.

I'm not sure if you was around but a few years ago, 4-5 different company had a very similar sub to the HDC3. Konaki was one of them. From a picture they looked exactly the same.

Until you got it in your hands and actually applied power to it, you realized the Konaki suspension was total shit. I can't comment first hand on how sorry it was, but from what I heard it was totally shitty.

But it looked the same, yet the konaki couldn't handle any power because of the lack of quality softparts. So what's your point? Everybody needs to go on looks and not relay on a companies reputation.

If so, you would of bought the Konaki, and inreturn spent more money having to buy a quality recone kit, just so your cheaper sub could perform. But only if you would of went the AQ route first, wouldn't of had to deal with all the bullshit.

I know you're aware of my situation, but I'm just demonstrating that DD isn't always the best sub for the job.

I got mine for 3 reasons

J

heres an insider tip

business is business

go fuck yourselves

Wow hostile much? Yes this is a business, and making money is the end goal. Congrats glad you figured that out all by yourself.

Now let me ask you this, have you used PERSONALLY each sub you bothered to mention in your post?

And I'm really proud that you equate SSA and Crossfire. Its a great comparison, especially when its made 'a little better'. That being said what was 'back in the day' when you cold get the XS from Crossfire for 300 bones? Was it within the past year? Two years? Five years? Time changes price guy. Quite alot. Just look at gas and vehicles.

J

J, None of our products are Crossfire products re-badged. The Crossfire in question is related to the old Q.

Well shit Aaron it appears as if what I ment to say did not come across right. What I ment was as a whole its nice to see SSA and the old Crossfire mentioned in the same breath to me. For me Crossfire was some of THE best equipment made and it was pretty much the 'holy grail' until I was about 18.

I am completly aware SSA has nothing to do with Crossfire or any other amt of companies. Are there some? Yes but who doesnt have the same thing in one form or another.

J

I know you're aware of my situation, but I'm just demonstrating that DD isn't always the best sub for the job.

I think this could imply to every install.

If I wanted to run a sealed enclosure with 500rms, I wouldn't think a DD 9500 would fit the bill.

That doesn't mean the 9500 is total shit. Well that one reason doesn't anyways.

Well shit Aaron it appears as if what I ment to say did not come across right. What I ment was as a whole its nice to see SSA and the old Crossfire mentioned in the same breath to me. For me Crossfire was some of THE best equipment made and it was pretty much the 'holy grail' until I was about 18.

I am completly aware SSA has nothing to do with Crossfire or any other amt of companies. Are there some? Yes but who doesnt have the same thing in one form or another.

J

I'm not quiet sure Crossfire had some of the greatest. Sure it wasn't bad by no means, but greatest, meh, I never seen it.

I do like Crossfire, alway have. My local dealer when I first got into audio, carried Crossfire.

Second setup I ever heard was Crossfire subs and amps. And was damn loud. Was actually my first really loud setup I heard.

I actually owned a few Crossfires. 15inch white basket DB. One of my favorite subs, ran it in a sealed box off 150rms, sounded quiet amazing to me as a nooob.

I also ran a 12 DB3 for a few months, again, decent entryish level sub.

But greatest? The old XT(2) was good for what they was, but nothing ground breaking or insanely loud.

I did like the Original BMFs. I've heard countless setups with them and always thought good things about em.

But this is just my opinion. Not disagreeing exactly.

I think this could imply to every install.

If I wanted to run a sealed enclosure with 500rms, I wouldn't think a DD 9500 would fit the bill.

That doesn't mean the 9500 is total shit. Well that one reason doesn't anyways.

Just a post for the DD nuthuggers, that's all :)