I'll be running 8-8"s and 4 tweets on a SAX 100.4D and I want to have some good processing at my finger tips which is why I don't want a trunk mounted EQ. my two options are:

1.) Keep my Factory Pioneer Scion TC deck (which has a L/R and rear sub outs just like an aftermarket deck) and add an AudioControl Three.2 to it

or

2.) get a bad ass headunit that has multiple procesing features to it such as Alpines CDA-117 (or similar, if you know of a better option let me know as well) and just use it's features.

Thanks! I'm really torn between the two and need some more experienced opinions on where to spend my money. yes I know it would be best to do both but its hard to drop another 575 bucks right now. eventually I will but for right now, which will be the best option?

Impossible to answer without knowing what exactly your wants and needs are as far as processing is concerned.

For starters......

How is your setup going to be executed?

Where are the mids and tweeters going to be located?

Why do you have eight 8" mids?

What frequency range are the 8's and tweeters going to be playing?

Are you using active or passive crossovers?

Does the processor need to have active crossovers?

What are your goals for the system? Accurate soundstage reproduction, flat frequency response, or just loud without sounding too bad?

What type of EQ processing power do you want/need?

What is your budget?

Answering those questions is only a start to heading in the direction of being able to assist you with meaningful responses.

Impossible to answer without knowing what exactly your wants and needs are as far as processing is concerned.

For starters......

What are your goals for the system? Accurate soundstage reproduction, flat frequency response, or just loud without sounding too bad?

What is your budget?

Answering those questions is only a start to heading in the direction of being able to assist you with meaningful responses.

x2

Also, Why do you have eight 8" mids?

For starters......

two speakers per channel giving roughly 65wrms to each 8 and the twetters will be placed on thier own small amplifier

Three 8's in each door (2 door car) and two in the rear for some rear fill (one on each side) and the two tweeters on each side in a yet to be determined location

Because I want it to be louder than 8 6's? I dont really have a better answer than that.

Leaving that up to the installer, since i dont have the experience or skill to do an install like this. I am purchasing the main components and letting the installer put them all together.

same as above

same as above

I don't know, that's why I'm asking. But the AudioControl Three.2 seems to fit the bill with what I want as far as processing goes

What is your budget?

around 300 for processing or headunit

I feel your asking this twice because its a bad idea?

WOW. I hadn't thought it would be that involved, now I see why I was so torn. replies in red

For starters......

What is your budget?

x2

Also, Why do you have eight 8" mids?

see reply

You catch on quick ;)

To answer your original question......I don't see the AC Three.2 as being a valuable option unless you absolutely need 2 auxillary inputs. Not many of it's features are very helpful in any grand sense and really most mid-level aftermarket headunits can easily match and/or exceed it's processing capabilities. So I would mark it off of the list.

I can't help you select a processor that does fit your needs, because it doesn't sound like you know what your needs actually are.

As for the speakers......yes, it's a bad idea. Completely unnecessary for anything other than a show car built to wow the ignorant masses. For starters, anytime you have more than one speaker playing the same frequency you have the potential for constructive and destructive interference. This in turn can create anomalies in the frequency response that will ruin the sound and can't be fixed with an equalizer. There are some caveats where multiple speakers can work well......but with three 8" mids per channel playing fairly high in a 2-way setup, I realistically don't see the results being anything more than craptastic. It might be loud, but if actually enjoying the sound is also one of your goals I don't think this is the route to take.

I'm scared to ask this question......but if a professional is installing the system for you, why isn't the professional also assisting you in system design and layout? I say I'm scared to ask because most professional installers seem to be good at fabrication and can rattle off Metra part numbers from memory but they don't actually understand much on the acoustic end of things. So I'm not sure if their assistance would be an asset or a liability.

What speakers did you intend on using?

You catch on quick ;)

To answer your original question......I don't see the AC Three.2 as being a valuable option unless you absolutely need 2 auxillary inputs. Not many of it's features are very helpful in any grand sense and really most mid-level aftermarket headunits can easily match and/or exceed it's processing capabilities. So I would mark it off of the list.

I can't help you select a processor that does fit your needs, because it doesn't sound like you know what your needs actually are.

As for the speakers......yes, it's a bad idea. Completely unnecessary for anything other than a show car built to wow the ignorant masses. For starters, anytime you have more than one speaker playing the same frequency you have the potential for constructive and destructive interference. This in turn can create anomalies in the frequency response that will ruin the sound and can't be fixed with an equalizer. There are some caveats where multiple speakers can work well......but with three 8" mids per channel playing fairly high in a 2-way setup, I realistically don't see the results being anything more than craptastic. It might be loud, but if actually enjoying the sound is also one of your goals I don't think this is the route to take.

I'm scared to ask this question......but if a professional is installing the system for you, why isn't the professional also assisting you in system design and layout? I say I'm scared to ask because most professional installers seem to be good at fabrication and can rattle off Metra part numbers from memory but they don't actually understand much on the acoustic end of things. So I'm not sure if their assistance would be an asset or a liability.

What speakers did you intend on using?

This is going to be a loud daily driver setup with multiple woofers in a wall . So I will be using PPI Midranges and tweeters to keep up. I understand you probably don't see my side as you seem to be very well educated on the higher end S.Q. side of things.

Also, which headunit would you recommend? Since I can knock the three.2 off I can afford to spend a little more on a better, more capable head-unit.

http://www.precisionpower.com/html-version/pro.html

those midranges. I heard them in a customers car at the shop I go to and I thought they were very well balanced with equalization. As far as the professional shop goes, the installers are very well respected in my area and statewide. I still wish to do the 8 speakers, but do you think I should go with 6"s instead of 8"s? Again, I know my style doesn't fit yours, but this is what I like. I appreciate all of your help so far. Even in just two posts you've managed to change my outlook on some things.

8 is a bit much

IMO, less is more in car audio

I'd focus my money on 2 superior drivers than buy a bunch of walmart pa mids. not saying ppi is, but you get the point.

8 is a bit much

IMO, less is more in car audio

I'd focus my money on 2 superior drivers than buy a bunch of walmart pa mids. not saying ppi is, but you get the point.

well I'm obviously going to need more than two. But, I get your point. I just want to be able to keep up with the bass. and those PPI mids I listed have surprisingly better than "walmart" performance. better than the 02 audio mids I heard.

What will your sub setup consist of?

What do you drive?

What is your goal goal for both bass, and front stage setups?

What do you drive?

2008 Scion TC hatchback 2 door

Sub stage: 2 sundown Z V.2 15"s walled off behind the back seats and either 2 SAZ-2000D's or 1 Stetsom V 4K5 E 2 OHM.

Front stage: is still up in the air no apparently because my old idea doesnt seem like a good one lol.

Just want a loud over all daily driver that I can enjoy, not really for competing. per se'

P.S. who is an authorized Stetsom dealer on here? where can i get the best prices?

Edited by focalrock4life

What do you drive?

2008 Scion TC hatchback 2 door

Sub stage: 2 sundown Z V.2 15"s walled off behind the back seats and either 2 SAZ-2000D's or 1 Stetsom V 4K5 E 2 OHM.

Front stage: is still up in the air no apparently because my old idea doesnt seem like a good one lol.

Just want a loud over all daily driver that I can enjoy, not really for competing. per se'

I would do two mids per door with two tweeters per A-Pillar. That's just what I think.

I would do two mids per door with two tweeters per A-Pillar. That's just what I think.

x2 ... :drink40:

I think that set-up, as long as done properly will be MORE then loud enough. :D

I think that set-up, as long as done properly will be MORE then loud enough. :D

So just the 4 total mids in the doors (since its two door) plus the tweeters and no rear fill?

Edited by focalrock4life

What exactly would you want the rears to "fill" in?

I understand you probably don't see my side as you seem to be very well educated on the higher end S.Q. side of things.

There is this huge misconception that the only way to achieve "loud" is to completely ignore basic acoustic principles. To the contrary, following sound acoustic principles is the most effective means of achieving your goals. To put it into perspective.....the winningest (and most infamous) vehicle in SQ competition history consisted of a speaker system that would put almost all of these SPL vehicles to shame in terms of output capabilities (for the front stage, obviously the sub stage would be louder in the SPL vehicles).

HLCD under the dash and a high efficiency 10" mid per door (or kickpanel). Done. You would have to worry more about hearing damage from the front stage than the substage, as the front stage would literally be capable of deafening you if you allowed it to play at it's full potential.

You need to button down your plans for your speakers before you select a headunit for processing. If you want to do the eight 8's and four tweeters thing you can, it's your system. I just think it's the wrong path.

As for a Stetsom dealer.....check the SSA Store, they carry Stetsom products.

OP, at this point in time i would be careful about Stetsom. Lately, I have read numerous threads about people not getting their stuff for months, even when they paid $200 for express shipping. Not bashing them by any means, nor do i have anything against them, I'm just putting other people's experiences out there.

Edited by thor02

I understand you probably don't see my side as you seem to be very well educated on the higher end S.Q. side of things.

There is this huge misconception that the only way to achieve "loud" is to completely ignore basic acoustic principles. To the contrary, following sound acoustic principles is the most effective means of achieving your goals. To put it into perspective.....the winningest (and most infamous) vehicle in SQ competition history consisted of a speaker system that would put almost all of these SPL vehicles to shame in terms of output capabilities (for the front stage, obviously the sub stage would be louder in the SPL vehicles).

HLCD under the dash and a high efficiency 10" mid per door (or kickpanel). Done. You would have to worry more about hearing damage from the front stage than the substage, as the front stage would literally be capable of deafening you if you allowed it to play at it's full potential.

You need to button down your plans for your speakers before you select a headunit for processing. If you want to do the eight 8's and four tweeters thing you can, it's your system. I just think it's the wrong path.

As for a Stetsom dealer.....check the SSA Store, they carry Stetsom products.

whats this HLCD and High efficiency 10" you speak of? I just caught my attention. Im leaps and bounds more familiar with the substage side of things vs the front stage (as you can tell). I appreciate everything!!

@ Thor02- Ive been seeing that too. its just hard to find an amp that will do 3-4 k at 2 ohms ya know? and the 2000D's are discontinued now and the single 15" Z v2 I have currently is Dual 2 ohm. So im kinda stuck ATM looking for my substage amp

If you have the money, the Rockford 2500 constant power sounds good for your application. It has roughly the same output from 1 to 4 ohms.

If you have the money, the Rockford 2500 constant power sounds good for your application. It has roughly the same output from 1 to 4 ohms.

Yea, but thats only ~500 wrms over what Im giving one. Im trying to atleast give them their RMS.

Yea, but thats only ~500 wrms over what Im giving one. Im trying to atleast give them their RMS.

Get two small(er) amps and run them at 1 ohm?

I'd follow the Hlcd route if you want you bass to chase your front stage. LOL... Def with the right processing setup that would probably sound amazing.

Get two small(er) amps and run them at 1 ohm?

The subs are Dual 2ohm. I cant wire two of them to 1 ohm, its either .5, 2 or 8 (lol)