All i am saying is that the car that brad used as an example is kinda like the Linear Power Bread Truck ... A "One of a Kind" machine ...

It is Almost impossible (without spending a butt load of money) for a Daily driver vehicle that can be built to sound like that car ... Back in the early 90s, that car's system was $100,000.00 or better ...

I'm not going against Brad or Sean anymore, all I'm saying is that if you are going that route, you got your work cut out for ya ... :drink40:

Yes, that specific vehicle had a lot of work done. It was also the first of it's kind, so the available options weren't as ready-made as they are today. But you entirely missed the point of that particular example.

As long as you have room for the horns mounting them is not a difficult task, especially for a professional installer. Building for the 10" mids wouldn't be any more difficult than the work required to fit multiple drivers, as you suggested and as he was originally going to have done. And moderate tuning is all that's really needed to bring a horn into the realm of "sound quality" that would be satisfactory for this particular installation. I don't see how this route would be any more challenging than either the path he was originally intent on going or the route you've suggested, and the results would be better in just about every sense. Where is the downside?

P.S. I would still like some brand recommendations for the HLCD

thanks!

Image Dynamics and USD Audio are the two main sources of car audio specific horns.

Not sure of your budget, if you can buy new you could go that route. But they are much more affordable on the used market. In Image Dynamics lineup you should look for the CD1-Pro, CD2-Comp or if the budget allows the newer Ultra horns. On the used market the CD2's can be found for around $250-$300.

USD Audio I'm not as familiar with, and really their horns a little more scarce.

As for processing, if you don't want an external trunk mounted processor you can look for a headunit that has a built in 3-way crossover (highpass for the horns, bandpass for the mids and lowpass for the sub). You want to make sure the highpass can be set as low as ~1khz, steeper the slope the better. Ideally 24db/oct. A decent 13-band graphic or 7-band parametric should be sufficient for tuning the horns to an acceptable level for your listening purposes.

thanks!

Image Dynamics and USD Audio are the two main sources of car audio specific horns.

Not sure of your budget, if you can buy new you could go that route. But they are much more affordable on the used market. In Image Dynamics lineup you should look for the CD1-Pro, CD2-Comp or if the budget allows the newer Ultra horns. On the used market the CD2's can be found for around $250-$300.

USD Audio I'm not as familiar with, and really their horns a little more scarce.

As for processing, if you don't want an external trunk mounted processor you can look for a headunit that has a built in 3-way crossover (highpass for the horns, bandpass for the mids and lowpass for the sub). You want to make sure the highpass can be set as low as ~1khz, steeper the slope the better. Ideally 24db/oct. A decent 13-band graphic or 7-band parametric should be sufficient for tuning the horns to an acceptable level for your listening purposes.

this is exactly the post I was looking for! thanks! hopefully this thread will shed some light on people that have the same issue as me

All i am saying is that the car that brad used as an example is kinda like the Linear Power Bread Truck ... A "One of a Kind" machine ...

It is Almost impossible (without spending a butt load of money) for a Daily driver vehicle that can be built to sound like that car ... Back in the early 90s, that car's system was $100,000.00 or better ...

I'm not going against Brad or Sean anymore, all I'm saying is that if you are going that route, you got your work cut out for ya ... :drink40:

Yes, that specific vehicle had a lot of work done. It was also the first of it's kind, so the available options weren't as ready-made as they are today. But you entirely missed the point of that particular example.

As long as you have room for the horns mounting them is not a difficult task, especially for a professional installer. Building for the 10" mids wouldn't be any more difficult than the work required to fit multiple drivers, as you suggested and as he was originally going to have done. And moderate tuning is all that's really needed to bring a horn into the realm of "sound quality" that would be satisfactory for this particular installation. I don't see how this route would be any more challenging than either the path he was originally intent on going or the route you've suggested, and the results would be better in just about every sense. Where is the downside?

I see no problem to this, sounds logical to try out ...

Impious,

This was a great Moderators post, Logical, easy to read, and very nice straight on topic ... Thank you sir ...

There was no need for ///M5 to be so arragant to me earlier, he could have just set back and let you answer. Then there would be no conflict ...

Keep us posted Focalrock4life on what you do to your system ... Thanks, Randal ...

thanks!

this is exactly the post I was looking for! thanks! hopefully this thread will shed some light on people that have the same issue as me

finding a headunit with those processing capabilities seems to be non-existant. I may have to goe with a trunk mounted one afterall. but not something as extensive as a 3sixty.3 or others like it

thanks!

finding a headunit with those processing capabilities seems to be non-existant. I may have to goe with a trunk mounted one afterall. but not something as extensive as a 3sixty.3 or others like it

Look for a used Pioneer Premier 800PRS or 880 PRS.

Used for a headunit will be probably the route you need to go.

Pio 800, 880, (?860mp)

Alpine 9813, 9815, 9833, 9833, 9855 (?9853)

Clarion 9255

Ural CDD

Eclipse 8053, 8454, 8455, 7200

There are a few other Clarion's and assorted, but feature wise I much prefer the above. The ones in brackets I am not 1000% sure of and would probably avoid anyways.

There was no need for ///M5 to be so arragant to me earlier

You bring out the best in me. I am flat out sick of you posting either the :popcorn: , interesting, or a bunch of garbage. Funny thing is I said about the same thing Impious did, you just don't like hearing any criticism from me. The cure is to stop posting stuff when you don't know anything about it.

Used for a headunit will be probably the route you need to go.

Pio 800, 880, (?860mp)

Alpine 9813, 9815, 9833, 9833, 9855 (?9853)

Clarion 9255

Ural CDD

Eclipse 8053, 8454, 8455, 7200

There are a few other Clarion's and assorted, but feature wise I much prefer the above. The ones in brackets I am not 1000% sure of and would probably avoid anyways.

There was no need for ///M5 to be so arragant to me earlier

You bring out the best in me. I am flat out sick of you posting either the :popcorn: , interesting, or a bunch of garbage. Funny thing is I said about the same thing Impious did, you just don't like hearing any criticism from me. The cure is to stop posting stuff when you don't know anything about it.

ok. So I think I finally have it figured all out.

consists of:

pair of Image Dynamics CD1-PRO

(2) either 10" or 8" Midbasses

headunit: MVH-P7300 (I need ipod, I don't use CD's) processing will not be as important through the headunit as I thought because of the amp's exceptional processing/crossovers.

Amp: Sundown SAX 100.4D http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/item/sax-1004d.html

anything else? I really think this will do it for my needs.

Except you need more processing than that amp can provide. It isn't just crossover, but EQ is also required. It will be a way better bang for the buck to buy a headunit/processor for the crossovers and eq together than separate eq alone.

Personally I am also completely against trunk mounted crossovers as it is SUPER hard to get them dialed in right.

Well the headunit has an 8 band parametric eq, and the amp has all the advanced crossovers. Is that not ok? your saying try to get a head unit with both eq and crossover and not an amp with one and the headunit with the other?

what about this

consists of:

headunit: Alpine CDA-117 w/ Imprint device (This combo has all the crossovers and processing needed, I believe)

Amp: Sundown SAX 125.2 (horns on one channel, mids on the other)

Edited by focalrock4life

what about this

consists of:

headunit: Alpine CDA-117 w/ Imprint device (This combo has all the crossovers and processing needed, I believe)

You need at least a 4-channel so you can have Left/Right fading.

what about this

consists of:

ah dang-it. overlooked that detail! damn this is frustrating lol

so then my original option with the pioneer and 100.4D would be better, since the HU has the 8 band parametric eq on it

Edited by focalrock4life

what about this

consists of:

so then my original option with the pioneer and 100.4D would be better, since the HU has the 8 band parametric eq on it

I would personally look for more EQ options, your going to need to tame those horns.

what about this

consists of:

I would personally look for more EQ options, your going to need to tame those horns.

Impious recommended a 7 band parametric EQ to tame the horns, which is why I thought it would work. Especially in conjunction with the advanced crossovers on the 100.4D

what about this

consists of:

Impious recommended a 7 band parametric EQ to tame the horns, which is why I thought it would work. Especially in conjunction with the advanced crossovers on the 100.4D

Do what you feel is needed.

what about this

consists of:

or you could give me a thought out reason as to why what im doing is wrong like others have in this thread instead of just saying "you need more eq" with no explanation as to why. your post does not help me at all.

what about this

consists of:

or you could give me a thought out reason as to why what im doing is wrong like others have in this thread instead of just saying "you need more eq" with no explanation as to why. your post does not help me at all.

It would obviously help control the output of the mids/highs. And also would help in getting the crossover settings set better and have easier control.

what about this

consists of:

It would obviously help control the output of the mids/highs. And also would help in getting the crossover settings set better and have easier control.

noted. so what setup would you suggest?

I'd suggest I read, and keep up with threads better.

I now see you are going with the 117 and Imprint unit, that should be just fine. Idk why I thought you were going with some cheap Sony unit. :suicide-santa:

Sorry about that. :eek5wavey:

I'd suggest I read, and keep up with threads better.

I now see you are going with the 117 and Imprint unit, that should be just fine. Idk why I thought you were going with some cheap Sony unit. :suicide-santa:

Sorry about that. :eek5wavey:

LOL. i was like " jeeze theres no satisfying you people!"

Just don't use the "auto" feature on the Imprint, it won't work at all.

I am also unsure that it is flexible in manual mode, but I haven't ever played with one, just heard some terrible installs that had them.

As for the "advanced" crossovers on the Sundown, they are far from, but very simple and hard to adjust right. A proc like above or a headunit with one is a MUCH better option.

tuning from an amp or an offboard processor from the trunk is the ultimate pain in the ass. Don't do it.

Just don't use the "auto" feature on the Imprint, it won't work at all.

I am also unsure that it is flexible in manual mode, but I haven't ever played with one, just heard some terrible installs that had them.

As for the "advanced" crossovers on the Sundown, they are far from, but very simple and hard to adjust right. A proc like above or a headunit with one is a MUCH better option.

That's what I was thinking. I really think he would benefit from a 800/880PRS as they are super easy to work, and can be had cheap if a good deal is found.