spl_eddie

box for 2 custom 12's

hi, i have two 12's i made out of wmd motors (the tripple stacked ones) and mostly sig soft parts. like i said i have two of them and two 1500 watt rockford amps. this is going into my durango. i would like to hit high numbers with these. i have tons of room back there and a 2400 bat. i just need help designing a box. thank you all in advance!!

eddie g

Hard to make a box suggestion without knowing any t/s for the subs in question.

Not really, alot of woofers T/S specs are wrong, and others don't even offer T/S specs.

OP, do you want pure SPL? Loud music?

I wouldn't recommend competing with those amps, they will get you put in a high power class.

Not really, alot of woofers T/S specs are wrong, and others don't even offer T/S specs.

Are you saying that makes it easier? For all we know he's got some good sealed subs on his hands(or very peaky ported ones).

hi, i have two 12's i made out of wmd motors (the tripple stacked ones) and mostly sig soft parts. like i said i have two of them and two 1500 watt rockford amps. this is going into my durango. i would like to hit high numbers with these. i have tons of room back there and a 2400 bat. i just need help designing a box. thank you all in advance!!

eddie g

Find the ts specs and go from there.

I wouldn't recommend competing with those amps, they will get you put in a high power class.

What? That is an erroneous statement and I am surprised that more guys haven't jumped on this. How are YOU designing enclosures without ts specs?

Edited by edouble101

fs - 37 hz

qms - 8.63

vas - 1.74 ft^3

revc - dual 2 ohm

qes - .86

sens - 86.4db 1W1M

qts - .78

bl - 20.2 tm

heres all i could really find. but like i said they have sig soft parts in them. they are MONSTERS!!! i'll put pics up soon. any idea would be great. i live indianapolis if anyone wants to give a hand

eddie g

What? That is an erroneous statement and I am surprised that more guys haven't jumped on this. How are YOU designing enclosures without ts specs?

How are you designing them around them? After 2 week of playing the T/S specs on woofers changes completely, so what good are they then?

If we HAD to have T/S specs to make boxes, how would I build an enclosure for my old MT's, or for some DD Z's?

My enclosures out perform most peoples without even trying, on both output, and over all good sound.

How are you designing them around them? After 2 week of playing the T/S specs on woofers changes completely, so what good are they then?

That's kind of an overstatement; they don't change that much at all. Fs will drop a few hz, qts will be a little lower, and Vas will rise slightly. They are by no means a big change though.

Edited by RAM_Designs

If we HAD to have T/S specs to make boxes, how would I build an enclosure for my old MT's, or for some DD Z's?

By being able to find dozens of past install on the forums and reading what other owners have said works well. It's a lot different than just guessing on some sort of hybrid woofer than you, or probably anyone else on here, has had any experience with.

My enclosures out perform most peoples without even trying, on both output, and over all good sound.

Irrelevant in this case. Anyone can say "throw them in 7ft^3 with a 35hz tuning and use 120in^2 of port", but it really means nothing when you don't know anything about the subs in question, sorry.

Edited by RAM_Designs

kind of losing sight of topic. i really want to build a nice sturdy box for these that shoot hight numbers. im not much of a arguer. sorry

eddie g

Werd? My motor force or sd might increase!?

But more seriously...I don't need a scientist to tell me that water is wet. You don't need a program to tell you that MT's need x.x ft3 at xxHz. What we have here are two one of a kind hybrid woofers so t/s specs WILL make more of a difference. You don't wanna bathe in an unknown liquid do you?

kind of losing sight of topic. i really want to build a nice sturdy box for these that shoot hight numbers. im not much of a arguer. sorry

Sorry op, but without t/s specs it's kinda hard to tell what kind of box they would do best in. Unless someone is really familiar with the woofers they (used to be?) are then it's difficult. Without building several boxes and testing of course.

fs - 37 hz

qms - 8.63

vas - 1.74 ft^3

revc - dual 2 ohm

qes - .86

sens - 86.4db 1W1M

qts - .78

bl - 20.2 tm

But more seriously...I don't need a scientist to tell me that water is wet. You don't need a program to tell you that MT's need x.x ft3 at xxHz. What we have here are two one of a kind hybrid woofers so t/s specs WILL make more of a difference. You don't wanna bathe in an unknown liquid do you?

So, your saying with MT's they are different then all other woofers and don't need magical program to get a box, but all other woofers do?

They fact that y'all would even trust a program that much shows a lot about the designs produced form y'all.

You still have not specified what you want. Pure SPL numbers? Loud music?

So, your saying with MT's they are different then all other woofers and don't need magical program to get a box, but all other woofers do?

They fact that y'all would even trust a program that much shows a lot about the designs produced form y'all.

No, I'm saying something that was said earlier. You're not the only one with an MT. You could do a quick google search and see what other people have had success with. If you didn't do that then what DID you do? Make up a size and port area? How do you build boxes if you don't model them?

He can't just do reasearch. We have NO IDEA what kind of woofers these are (specs wise). We don't know if they're super stiff spl machines or low fs daily beaters.

I'd much rather trust a program before I just made up some numbers and tried it. That way I could see that my response would be peaky or saddle shaped WITHOUT having to build a box and test.

fs - 37 hz

qms - 8.63

vas - 1.74 ft^3

revc - dual 2 ohm

qes - .86

sens - 86.4db 1W1M

qts - .78

bl - 20.2 tm

Are those for these two woofers or the ones they used to be?

No pics?

No, I'm saying something that was said earlier. You're not the only one with an MT. You could do a quick google search and see what other people have had success with. If you didn't do that then what DID you do? Make up a size and port area? How do you build boxes if you don't model them?

He can't just do reasearch. We have NO IDEA what kind of woofers these are (specs wise). We don't know if they're super stiff spl machines or low fs daily beaters.

I'd much rather trust a program before I just made up some numbers and tried it. That way I could see that my response would be peaky or saddle shaped WITHOUT having to build a box and test.

But how does the program know what's going to happen? It has no clue in reality. It's just saying what other humans have GUESSED would happen and programed it to say....

But how does the program know what's going to happen? It has no clue in reality. It's just saying what other humans have GUESSED would happen and programed it to say....

Not guessed. Calculated. USING MATH. With what numbers I wonder.....oh wait, those T/S specs you ignore. They are given for a reason. They do not suddenly go haywire once you play the woofer. All that happens is the suspension loosens up. Motor force, cone area, moving mass, and several others don't change after you play it? If they were useless, why would manufacturer's go through all the trouble to measure them?

EDIT: And you know what, I'm not even saying that you should swear by a program and trust it always. I'm saying that it's a tool to use that can give you a base to build on. It's better than friggin guessing. I'm also not questioning your ability to build boxes. I'm questioning the means by which you design them. (or lack thereof, really.)

Edited by An-i-no

Not guessed. Calculated. USING MATH. With what numbers I wonder.....oh wait, those T/S specs you ignore. They are given for a reason. They do not suddenly go haywire once you play the woofer. All that happens is the suspension loosens up. Motor force, cone area, moving mass, and several others don't change after you play it? If they were useless, why would manufacturer's go through all the trouble to measure them?

EDIT: And you know what, I'm not even saying that you should swear by a program and trust it always. I'm saying that it's a tool to use that can give you a base to build on. It's better than friggin guessing. I'm also not questioning your ability to build boxes. I'm questioning the means by which you design them. (or lack thereof, really.)

Well, the "Guessing" my friend and I do sure has built some loud shit. Probably louder then you will ever build.

And this math you talk about, was it thought up by the same person who came up with the "rule" you have to do 12-14^2 of port per cube?

Enough, this thread is getting way off topic, OP if you want me to clean it up let me know.

I'm not familiar enough with Shocker's parts to know how they will act with the WMD motor, so you have to do some testing, start with about 2.0 cubes(normal for MOST 12" high excursion drivers) and go from there, your port length will depend on the tuning you'd like to achieve, and area will depend on the xmax of the woofers, that can be obtained from Shocker.

The people on this site are getting rediculous. This place is drastically different from two years ago. If you want to have a **** measuring contest go start another thread. What you are doing is not helping the OP one bit.

Now for some information that might HELP the OP.

As Duran stated most 12's will range between 2-3.5 cubic feet. Giving your sub choice "monsters" as you call them, I would imagine you are looking for a loud daily system. Don't worry about the T/S specs as you will most likely not wanting to fine tune the system perfectly anyhow. Usually the larger the box the louder it will be. If you are going for loud I would use your maximum allowed space while keeping it under 3.5 cubic feet per sub. 14 square inches of port per cubic feet will be plenty of surface area to keep port noise at bay. Tuning around 32-35 hz should give you a nice little peak between 35-45 hertz and should make your roll off plenty low enough for this type of system.

Do you have the t/s for MT's? I'd bet big money it's a lower qts, lower vas type of sub(like most all monster subs). You seem to forget that there are no readily available t/s specs out for MT's, thus people rely on others' experiences to help them out.

Edited by RAM_Designs