Sign in to follow this  
burko

Alternator Suggestions for AQ2200D

Vehicle: 2003 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

Stock alt size is 130 I believe. What size alt would you guys recommend to successfully push my Fi BTL N2 with the AQ2200D? Is a HO alt even necessary for the system?

There are many attributing factors to consider before recommending an alternator for your needs. I would start with the big 3, upgraded agm starting battery and an auxiliary agm battery mounted near the amplifier. If this is installed correctly you may discover that you will not need an upgraded alternator. Other amplifiers and loads placed on your electrical system need to be considered as well.

If you feel the need to upgrade your factory alternator I recommend Mechman.

If you do the big three and run 1/0 to aq2200d and to ground.Also run seperate power to your door speaker amp you should be ok.I am running 160 amp with a aq2200d and sax100.4 sundown amp and I have no voltage drop at full volume going down the road. Not at idle then you need a higher amp alt. that puts out at idle.Can never run to big of wire.Also running agm starting bat. and another agm by the amps.

I think with that vehicle you can run multiple alts fairly easy.

Not that its needed lol

I feel like the most expensive thing is gonna be the bracket, then a used alt from the junk for what? 30$ plus core

So then you got 260A for maybe a little more work and probably the same price you would pay for the bigger alt.

Just a different option

build your own bracket? might not be pretty but it shouldn't be too hard to fab up something.

I think with that vehicle you can run multiple alts fairly easy.

Not that its needed lol

I feel like the most expensive thing is gonna be the bracket, then a used alt from the junk for what? 30$ plus core

So then you got 260A for maybe a little more work and probably the same price you would pay for the bigger alt.

Just a different option

Why you would mention a multiple alternator setup? Based on the information given by the op an aftermarket alternator may not be needed let alone a multiple alternator setup.

Let's just stick to the basics before the less informed (I say that kindly) become confused.

I have a 220amp, 1/0 big three, and an optima yellow top up front for my Aq 2200d, and my voltage doesn't move much at all. Doesn't dip below 13 volts. I'm gonna add a small battery to the back to keep it around 14.

How about an xs power batt up front and a high output alt? Would be nice to not have any unnecessary weight in the trunk. How big of a battery/alt (give me suggestions for both if youre gonna tell me please) do you think I would need?

The general rule of thumb is Watts/Voltage = Amperage. Maybe that could help you out with your selection.

Updgrade wiring and bats then see if you need new alt. I dont think you do unless you listen to loud music while parkrd for long .

Are you going to be running an amplifier for your front stage?

My opinion is u can never have enough supply..

But i had an orion 2500w, 250A alt no problems

so lets calc this out.

2200*.7=1540w

1540/12=128A

so 128a from the amp plus your stock draw, so you could get away with it wt a decent battery or 2

Are you going to be running an amplifier for your front stage?

No sir.

My opinion is u can never have enough supply..

But i had an orion 2500w, 250A alt no problems

so lets calc this out.

2200*.7=1540w

1540/12=128A

so 128a from the amp plus your stock draw, so you could get away with it wt a decent battery or 2

I'll give it a shot.

To everyone:

Say I was to get an upgraded starting batt as well as one in the trunk. Size suggestions for each?

If you are still in the market for an alternator, OHIO Generator makes 275 amp alts. for GMs, I have one in my 02 Yukon Denali XL (6.0L). Super happy with it.