Sign in to follow this  
bigmikekc

subs making weird noise

i have 2 skar 12's and a alpine m500 wired to 4ohms(changing amp soon) and it sounds like theres a sound coming from the sub that is not supposed to. it sounds like a high pitched rattle noise and im almost sure its not my car rattling because it will make that sound when the music is not very loud and the subs are only getting 150 watts each. i will make a vid tomorrow but does anyone think they know what this sound is? if you need any more info let me know

Might be driving the amp into clipping, considering the drivers are rated for 600watts and your using 150, perhaps you kept turning the gain up to get some more excursion and output, and it's clipping like crazy.

I would pull the drivers out of the enclosure, and play each driver by it's self in free air and looking for anything loose / any noise. (Remember their power handling will drop tons when there in free air, so don't have the volume turned up a ton.

Sealed box? Ported? Do any of the enclosure panels flex a lot, any gaps in between panels, air leaks?

Explain it some more im not getting a full understanding.

Edited by Dictator

Might be driving the amp into clipping, considering the drivers are rated for 600watts and your using 150, perhaps you kept turning the gain up to get some more excursion and output, and it's clipping like crazy.

I would pull the drivers out of the enclosure, and play each driver by it's self in free air and looking for anything loose / any noise. (Remember their power handling will drop tons when there in free air, so don't have the volume turned up a ton.

Sealed box? Ported? Do any of the enclosure panels flex a lot, any gaps in between panels, air leaks?

ported box, no air leaks and no panel flex. gain is about half way up on the amp and on head unit i have bass boost off and EQ at 0. i posted this on another forum and alot of people where saying it might be my ground

Explain it some more im not getting a full understanding.

on some songs i hear a weird rattle noise and it sounds like it might be from the subs

Some songs what songs? Think your port is rattling or something internaly in the box is having problems!!

Some songs what songs? Think your port is rattling or something internaly in the box is having problems!!

box was built pretty strong with bracing and i used alot of glue and screws, i could punch that thing as hard as i could and it would not move or rattle. port is not rattling and the subs barley move because of the power they are seeing so even if the port was weak theres not much air is blowing out of it to make it move