djjdnap

Increasing voltage from Alternator

My mileage has went down some, but I doubt this was the cause. I got 37's and 20's right after, so I assumed that was why.

I may try taking it off and seeing though.

my pig tail has 3 wires on it.. and its a 6G would it still be the yellow?

^^^ maybe a *bit different because it serves the same purpose correct?

the difference is what? they build it in to a wiring harness for you to fit to ur alt so u dont have to splice any wires.....

I mean if ur just tricking ur alt to bump up the voltage seems like the same thing to me..

-----------

crunkjuice.

yea some cars are pcm controlled, meaning the cars computer controls the voltage, usualy newer cars.

my girls grand prix has pcm controlled alt and the voltage is all over the place, sometimes 13v sometimes 15v... she doesnt have any amps or anything

the only thing that pulls the most amps i can see is the traction control, slam on the gas and it cuts on and voltage drops to 12v easily.

Yep GM PCM controll is stupid. Even if I got a MLA I would have to splice into my PCM for it to work and then it probably will still throw a code.

How exactly would you go about splicing into the pcm? Lol I have a 97 grand prix with this exact problem, and I think its becase the pcm is controlling the voltage or charge rate, and its sits way too low or varies too much for my needs

I recently had to take my mechman alt off because of a bracket issue. Lucky for me I kept my OE alt in case anything would happen. Some things I can throw out here is that before alts are put in I charge batteries, then with O scope at the battery I set the pot on mechman harness cold start 15.1v then after car warms up it will sit at 14.8 to 14.6v.

There would be irregular voltage drops from there to 13.8 and then bounce right back up. With the OE alt in it cold starts at 14.4 car warms up and sits at 14.1v I don't know my car but I think that the computer is what adjusts the voltage and with the mechman pot there seems to be a bumping of heads. So to add to this thread your idea might be right but the computer might be regulating the voltage still.

my mechman alternator doesnt have an adjustable pot, my ECU controls the voltage output of the alternator