Hi-

I've needed a new alternator for a while and I'm finally starting to get my money up to purchase some upgrades. My 2000 Volvo S40 has a small alternator in a cramped engine compartment so most companies don't make alternators for it. DC Power and Ohio generator will make something for me, but I'm not sure which is the best scenario. I have an IA 40.1 (3600+ rms) and RF T4004 elite (~100x4).

DC power quoted me ~$800-900 for a 270XP alternator. ~200 amps at idle, 270 max. This would be fine for my current system, but it's quite pricy and I could not buy new batteries this summer.

Ohio generator quoted me ~$350-450 for a ~120A at idle (my stock max), and 200A max. Since this costs a bit less, I would replace both of my batteries with some XS power batteries (not sure which yet).

Which option seems more stable for a daily system? Let me know if I forgot any info.

Hmm

Your s40 and my v40 have the same engine etc.

I talked to dc and they said they currently didn't have any alts for our vehicle. But that they could make one in at least 6 months.

So did dc say they had an alt or could make it?

Hmm

Your s40 and my v40 have the same engine etc.

I talked to dc and they said they currently didn't have any alts for our vehicle. But that they could make one in at least 6 months.

So did dc say they had an alt or could make it?

I called them quite a while ago and they said they could do it. I can't tell you definitively, but I think I remember my dad saying they made some revisions after the first model (2000). Even so, I just looked and they are definitely the same alternator stock. Maybe they made a mistake with me I don't know. If that's the case, then I'll be going with the Ohio Generator alternator. They told me they could make it (did not give me a timeframe at the time, but didn't warn me about a long wait or anything). They also made it sound like that is why it was going to be so costly.

I can wait if the Ohio Generator alternator is not sufficient, but I'm hoping to get some opinions so I can make a more informed decision.

Edited by ulrisa

Well im definitely interested to see what happens.

I need to get a alt soon too, and I have a dc alt sitting in my room. So im waiting til they can make a new case...

Have you contacted Mechman or Excessive Amperage? I have been very impressed with both companies.

Have you contacted Mechman or Excessive Amperage? I have been very impressed with both companies.

I've read so many horror stories about EA products... :peepwall:

I contacted Mechman and XS Power and neither of them carried anything for my vehicle. I haven't called excessive amperage yet, so I might give them a call and see what they have to offer. I've heard horror stories about them too, so I guess I'll have to keep that in mind.

Edited by ulrisa

I've read so many horror stories about EA products... :peepwall:

I contacted Mechman and XS Power and neither of them carried anything for my vehicle. I haven't called excessive amperage yet, so I might give them a call and see what they have to offer. I've heard horror stories about them too, so I guess I'll have to keep that in mind.

I did not know that. I and friends of mine have had good luck with them. I'm still looking for alternator options. Instead of doing a high output. I want to get a dual bracket with two oem alternators. Good luck with whatever you decide. With your two options, I would do the bigger alternator first and then add some batteries as you can.

I've just read TONs of threads about people saying their EA alt has terrible voltage and amperage at idle, worse then stock.

Well I called up Excessive Amperage and he told me he could do $385 shipped for 200A Max ~130A idle. This sounds good, but I'm still hesitant to order... I've been browsing around to read more about them, I really don't want to order it and regret it later.

Thanks for that suggestion, I wouldn't even have considered it otherwise. Now I just have more options to choose from lol.

If I go with EA or Ohio Gen. I'll be getting whatever the max size battery from XS power I can fit in the front. Right now I have a G34 in there but I think I can go larger. Eventually I will get one for the trunk as well.

If I go with DC Power, I most likely can't get newer batteries until next year because I can't make that much money until I get out of college :(.

I feel that upgrading my batteries (old D34/78 yellow top, C&D High Rate Max) to a big XS Power battery would help a great deal. I'm leaning towards the cheaper options so I can do this soon... Does this seem like a good idea?

I'm going to give DC another call just to see if they really can make my alternator within a reasonable time frame.

Well I called up Excessive Amperage and he told me he could do $385 shipped for 200A Max ~130A idle. This sounds good, but I'm still hesitant to order... I've been browsing around to read more about them, I really don't want to order it and regret it later.

Thanks for that suggestion, I wouldn't even have considered it otherwise. Now I just have more options to choose from lol.

If I go with EA or Ohio Gen. I'll be getting whatever the max size battery from XS power I can fit in the front. Right now I have a G34 in there but I think I can go larger. Eventually I will get one for the trunk as well.

If I go with DC Power, I most likely can't get newer batteries until next year because I can't make that much money until I get out of college :(.

I feel that upgrading my batteries (old D34/78 yellow top, C&D High Rate Max) to a big XS Power battery would help a great deal. I'm leaning towards the cheaper options so I can do this soon... Does this seem like a good idea?

I'm going to give DC another call just to see if they really can make my alternator within a reasonable time frame.

Let me know what comes of it.

Been waiting a month for my alt from ohio gen. From what i heard from the guy building my alt its been crazy busy for them.