outhopu

My new hooptie, 1980 CoupeDeville. Bumping on a budget.

Missed a pic.

Decided to paint the rings on the door with the same paint I used on the kick pods. I can tolerate how they look now at least until I have time to do something nicer.

Picture165.jpg

Hells yeah, that's what I'm talking about!! Diggin' the old school rims for a true lowrider as well!

looking good. i love the look of the old school low rider rims. how thick is the spray on in your trunk?

Got to keep wires and whitewalls on the oldschools. It's very thick. I'd say close to double what a spray in bed liner typically is. I did 3 applications on the 1/4 panels since they are the largest/flatest panels that will resonate the most.

Hells yeah, that's what I'm talking about!! Diggin' the old school rims for a true lowrider as well!

13x7" with 155-80-13 rubber. I keeps it reel ! (in my best Dave Shapell voice) :thanx:

Decided to upgrade the head unit to a touch screen Pioneer. The larger display makes using the Ipod much easier. Also got the dash back together. Just need to hook up the volt meter to the distribution block out back.

I tried to angle it toward the drivers seat a little to make the screen easier to see.

Picture167.jpg

Picture168.jpg

All lit up and looking good.

Picture170.jpg

I'm a smoker but I like that more than an ashtray anyday! Leds are lookin' sharp, nice glow going on in there!!

Looks schwanky. :P I'm gonna ask a really dumb question now. Can you see the gauges behind the tinted plexi-glass during the day? It looks cool and I'm thinking about trying it in my Monte Carlo, I just want to make sure I'll be able to see the gauges during the day as well. :) Do you leave the lights on or something?

I'm a smoker but I like that more than an ashtray anyday! Leds are lookin' sharp, nice glow going on in there!!

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with everything at this point. Just need to make a good push to get everything in the trunk wired now.

Looks schwanky. :P I'm gonna ask a really dumb question now. Can you see the gauges behind the tinted plexi-glass during the day? It looks cool and I'm thinking about trying it in my Monte Carlo, I just want to make sure I'll be able to see the gauges during the day as well. :) Do you leave the lights on or something?

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to test it during the day yet. I'll be taking her out this weekend for the first time if all goes to plan. I wired the lights in the gauge pod to an ignition switched 12v supply so they light up when the ignition is turned on. I'm hoping that will be enough to make them visible during the day. I'll update after getting it out on the road.

Wired up the amps.

Picture172.jpg

Dropped in the box and gave it a little test run. I bangs pretty good.

Picture171.jpg

Mounted the spare.

Picture174.jpg

Made a little adaptor that uses the factory tie down hook and a knock off to properly secure the tire.

Picture175.jpg

Added another layer of 1/4" hardboard to the factory rear deck trim panel and bored some extra holes into it for better sound transfer. I covered it in grill cloth when I was done with it.

Picture173.jpg

Picture176.jpg

Nice idea on the trim panel, never thought of that. Where did ya' get the purple wire, may have missed that.

Nice idea on the trim panel, never thought of that. Where did ya' get the purple wire, may have missed that.

I wanted to do a brown grill cloth on it but had the black left over from my Scion build so I just used what I had on hand. The purple wires are way over priced RCA cables. They were bought over 10 years ago and were in my audio collection so I put them to use again.

Enclosure top looks to be a sheet of glass, guessing that goal was accomplished. Would think the finish on the sides will give a nice reflection of the pumps and bats once you get them in there!

Enclosure top looks to be a sheet of glass, guessing that goal was accomplished. Would think the finish on the sides will give a nice reflection of the pumps and bats once you get them in there!

It's not as nice as I'd like it to be, but does look decent. I'm having an issue with the clear soaking in and leaving the grain lines. I may throw some more clear on it when I pull it back out for doing the hydraulics.

Here is a few videos and a few more pics of the ride. Top 3 pics should be videos just click on them.

th_Picture186-1.jpg

th_Picture184-1.jpg

th_Picture185-1.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for the first ride.

Picture180-2.jpg

Picture179-2.jpg

Picture181-2.jpg

It's not as nice as I'd like it to be, but does look decent. I'm having an issue with the clear soaking in and leaving the grain lines. I may throw some more clear on it when I pull it back out for doing the hydraulics.

Here is a few videos and a few more pics of the ride. Top 3 pics should be videos just click on them.

th_Picture186-1.jpg

th_Picture184-1.jpg

th_Picture185-1.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for the first ride.

Picture180-2.jpg

Picture179-2.jpg

Picture181-2.jpg

Now that I can see it a little better that coupe is really clean!!! Seems the subs are doing work!!

It's not in mint condition but then again I only paid $1,900 for it and it runs like a champ. For basically being entry level subs not geared for big SPL they get down nicely. I'm surprised that the factory alternator keeps up as well as it does also. If I'm idling the volts will drop as low as 11.8v but when driving it stays around 12.5-13.5v at full tilt.

Should be very easy to get a step-up on alt for an older vehicle like that, may need a little more juice once you get the hydralics installed. By the way how are the front speakers working out with how you set them up??? You havn't mentioned them.

Should be very easy to get a step-up on alt for an older vehicle like that, may need a little more juice once you get the hydralics installed. By the way how are the front speakers working out with how you set them up??? You havn't mentioned them.

The hydraulics do not get connected to the cars charging system at all so at least there will be no extra load added from them. I may swap a built up 350 w/700R4 into this over the winter so I'm not planning on any charging upgrades for the time being. As for the front speakers I'm pretty pleased with them. I did think they would get louder than they do but it's possible the amp isn't pushing the power it's claimed to do. I can't say that the imaging and all that technical stuff would please uptight purists but that wasn't my goal anyways. I'd guess if it was just the speakers in the kicks the SQ would be pretty dam good though. The speakers in the rear of the doors aren't even noticable up front but do a nice job for the rear seat passenger (I sat in back to hear for myself).

I was also asked about the gauge pods visibility by onebadmonte I believe. It works great at night but I can't make them out during the day. Either I should have done lighter tint or added some lights in front of the gauges in addition to the lights inside them. Black faced gauges might allow lighter tint while still being hidden during the day. If I had it to do over I would opt for digital gauges since the digital volt gauge that I bought can be seen easily day or night, just need to mount it better since the bass already knocked it loose.

Looks good for being 30+ and under $2k. I like it. I think it deserves some tint now.

Looks good for being 30+ and under $2k. I like it. I think it deserves some tint now.

I like the fish tank effect of clear glass, no tint for me. Tinted windows would take away from the classy looks of it.

i am a big advocate of tint but... i agree, a classic car like that should have the fishbowl look to it. the deepest tint should be 50% which is a step darker than stock. the car looks great in and out now. i want to see what the car looks like when you get the hydraulics on it

i am a big advocate of tint but... i agree, a classic car like that should have the fishbowl look to it. the deepest tint should be 50% which is a step darker than stock. the car looks great in and out now. i want to see what the car looks like when you get the hydraulics on it

I have a bit of a set back to deal with on getting the hydraulics installed. I'm going to have to narrow the rearend which means lots more work for me to do still. Not to mention the down time waiting on a set of custom axles to be made. :suicide-santa:

i meant see it on here but i'd take a personal viewing also haha. sorry to sound a little demanding or what not. posted that and then went to sleep. ok, and creepy as this may sound, but i know where you live now from seeing the picture of the street in front of your house.

i meant see it on here but i'd take a personal viewing also haha. sorry to sound a little demanding or what not. posted that and then went to sleep. ok, and creepy as this may sound, but i know where you live now from seeing the picture of the street in front of your house.

It's cool, I didn't take it the wrong way. Nobody is hard to find these days. Thats what I have the dog for. I'll keep posting updates as I move onto the rest of the build.

Are you juicing it because you want to keep the theme with the oldie or do you not like bags?