outhopu

My new hooptie, 1980 CoupeDeville. Bumping on a budget.

Maybe I missed it, but what are the specs on the box? It's definitely a different approach to a bandpass.

Are you juicing it because you want to keep the theme with the oldie or do you not like bags?

I've never used bags on anything I've built. There just isn't anything cool about bags to me. I like the sound of a hydraulic pump spinning at 72-96 volts and the power/speed that comes with it.

Maybe I missed it, but what are the specs on the box? It's definitely a different approach to a bandpass.

I just built it to the specs that Infinity provided with the sub. Here is a link that shows the specs and sound graph for it. You just need to scroll down to page 6 once you open the link.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/108/108PER101.PDF

Are you juicing it because you want to keep the theme with the oldie or do you not like bags?

I've never used bags on anything I've built. There just isn't anything cool about bags to me. I like the sound of a hydraulic pump spinning at 72-96 volts and the power/speed that comes with it.

Good enough for me :)

Keep up the good work bro

Well I'm finally getting back to work on this. My custom axles should be here tomorrow so I got started on narrowing the rearend today.

I pulled the axles a few weeks ago to get the measurements needed to place my axle order. You can see from the order form that there is a good bit of measuring involved.

Picture183-1.jpg

Picture186.jpg

I waited to pull the rearend until today to keep the car from being torn apart for too long.

Picture188.jpg

Started the process of narrowing the housing by making a reference measurement and then just used a cut off wheel and followed the line.

Picture279.jpg

After that I marked the end for the amount I needed to remove. I had to come up with a way to mark it to insure a straight cut. Sometimes you have to get creative.

Picture281.jpg

Picture282.jpg

After lots of measuring to make sure the end was square and true I tacked the end back on the housing. I want to test fit the new axles before full welding and moving on to the other side.

Picture284.jpg

you sir, have a lot of talent when it comes to this custom aspect. i take it that you have had many years of experience doing it? always top notch work and great step by step photos with explanations.

I've been into working on cars for 20 years and have been heavy into welding and fab for the last 10. I've made the most improvements in my work within the last 5 years though. Thanks as always.

Well after working a 12 hour day I came home to a much needed package. The axles!

Picture290.jpg

Here is a new one next to the original.

Picture291.jpg

Did a test fit and liked what I saw so went ahead and welded the one end up fully.

Picture292.jpg

Hopefully I can get started on the other side tomorrow. That's if I don't get stuck at work all day again. :suicide-santa:

Maybe I missed the reason, but what is the advantage of narrowing the rearend?? Just more clearance?

Great work as always!

That's pretty hardcore work there. I would have guessed you would have needed some sort of tool to keep the cutoff axle tube inline with the existing axle tube while welding. Good job, you make it look easy. I want to try now. :P

Nice work for sure, keep it up. :drink40:

did you narrow that without a narrowing jig???

i dont think you can do that unless you get real lucky and weld that thing straight, if not youll fight balancing, harmonics, tracking/alignment.

and it looks like you laid a FAT bead down, there HAD to be some warping going on there.

whenever we narrow a rearend we have a jig and take DAYYYSSS to weld it.

Maybe I missed the reason, but what is the advantage of narrowing the rearend?? Just more clearance?

Great work as always!

The wheels I'm using are a 7" with full reversed offset which pushes the wheels out alot. The tire/wheel will no longer clear the 1/4 panel and need so narrowing the rearend is needed to get the car to lay out nice.

That's pretty hardcore work there. I would have guessed you would have needed some sort of tool to keep the cutoff axle tube inline with the existing axle tube while welding. Good job, you make it look easy. I want to try now. :P

In a perfect world a jig and alignment bar should be used. I have all of that for doing 9" Ford housing but had to improvise on this GM 10 bolt.

did you narrow that without a narrowing jig???

i dont think you can do that unless you get real lucky and weld that thing straight, if not youll fight balancing, harmonics, tracking/alignment.

and it looks like you laid a FAT bead down, there HAD to be some warping going on there.

whenever we narrow a rearend we have a jig and take DAYYYSSS to weld it.

I prefer to use a jig but it can be done without one with enough measuring. I had a friend of mine do my last housing exactly how I did this one and never had any issues with bearing or axle failures. As for the other issues I'm not too worried. This car is a toy and only gets driven occasionally and will rarely see the highway. If it doesn't work I have a spare housing that I can get narrowed "properly" by a local shop.

I finally got around to getting some pics after the rearend was reinstalled. I have plenty of clearance on the 1/4 panel now to lay the ass end out.

Picture299.jpg

I've put a couple hundred miles on it with the new rearend and it drives great. Even ran it up to 90 mph to make sure it was stable at speed.

I'm slowly getting the hydraulic parts and plumbing together so hopefully soon I'll have more interesting pics to share.

looks darn good man. keep going and showing us what you do

Not my style, but mad props on all the fab work! That's one Coupe that's growing on me! Sub'd for updates!

Just read all 11 pages, I love how it's such a unique build! Props! You're doing a great job with all the mods.

Ever want to paint it? Metallic black would look very nice.

Ever want to paint it? Metallic black would look very nice.

I was wondering the same thing. There's just something inherently cool about a black cadillac

<<< A beast at photoshop.... Jussayin!

Thanks guys. I'll keep posting as I make progress. I've just been slammed with work lately and haven't had much time to tinker with this.

As for paint, I'd never go black on big car. I had a 86 VW GTI that was black and couldn't keep even that little car clean. Black is just a pain to keep looking super clean. I like the lighter colors on these Caddys personally.

Thanks guys. I'll keep posting as I make progress. I've just been slammed with work lately and haven't had much time to tinker with this.

As for paint, I'd never go black on big car. I had a 86 VW GTI that was black and couldn't keep even that little car clean. Black is just a pain to keep looking super clean. I like the lighter colors on these Caddys personally.

Whaaa?! You in a Vee-Dub? I would have never guessed it. What happened? Did the dark side start offering cookies? :P Just messing.

I have to admit, lighter colors on Caddys are better. One thing is for sure you're gonna need to update that color on yours. As sweet as it is, every time I see it, the color makes me think Ford Crown Victoria. Ughh, makes me cringe.

It's a sweet Caddy for sure. :fing34:

Edited by onebadmonte

Nice ride! Good job with everything. What's next?

hell yeah glad to hear the rearend is working no problems.

that car is tits, props to all the work you have done my friend.

keep the updates coming!

nothing like an old school cadi on juice :dancing:

Whaaa?! You in a Vee-Dub? I would have never guessed it. What happened? Did the dark side start offering cookies? :P Just messing.

I have to admit, lighter colors on Caddys are better. One thing is for sure you're gonna need to update that color on yours. As sweet as it is, every time I see it, the color makes me think Ford Crown Victoria. Ughh, makes me cringe.

It's a sweet Caddy for sure. :fing34:

I'm a gear head. I like all kinds of different cars. I've owned about 5 various years and models of VW's and a long line of oldschool GM's. I drive a Scion XB for my daily even. If I had more time and money to throw around I'd have a couple hot rods and muscle cars too. Sometimes I wish I did only like one type of ride though. It would make it so much easier to stay focused and finish something.

Nice ride! Good job with everything. What's next?

Thanks. I'm working on getting the parts for doing the hydraulics still. I just haven't had much spare time to devote to it lately so it's taking forever.

I also need to find a higher output alternator asap to keep up with the sounds. It's struggling to keep above 11.5 volts now.

hell yeah glad to hear the rearend is working no problems.

that car is tits, props to all the work you have done my friend.

keep the updates coming!

So far so good. Hopefully I'll have some pics of some progress next weekend.

nothing like an old school cadi on juice :dancing:

Looks bad ass :drink40:

Thanks guys.