outhopu

My new hooptie, 1980 CoupeDeville. Bumping on a budget.

Hey there! Look who's back. :gayhaaay1: Bummer bout blowing the woofers, kick ass carnage tho. :D Nice that you were able to salvage the box. Better luck this time around. :P

What happened? Too large of enclosure? What do you plan to tune to? Remember to get more port area for the added excursion.

I'm not sure what caused all the damage. The box was exactly to the specs supplied by Infinity so that shouldn't have been the issue. I have a feeling that there wasn't enough clearance on the subs behind the ports and they may have been touching on the low notes. The 2 subs that were clear of the ports are still in working order somehow. I'll be tuning to 34-35hz on the ported box but I'm stuck with running 3" ports since I physically cant fit anything larger. I didn't hear port noise on the bandpass design so I'll just give it a try and see how it sounds.

Hey there! Look who's back. :gayhaaay1: Bummer bout blowing the woofers, kick ass carnage tho. :D Nice that you were able to salvage the box. Better luck this time around. :P

I've just been busy with more important things for a while. Finally got settled in at my new place and decided to start getting the old girl ready for spring. I'm not too surprised that they didn't last long I just can't seem to take it easy on anything audio related. I have the system crank up to full output 90% of the time I'm riding. I need a stupid loud system so I don't have to run it to the edge all the time. I hope the box sounds good since I have a retarded amount of time invested in it. I even sanded it down and gave it several more coats of clear today to freshen up the finish.

Good to see a thread update, sorry it's about loosing the subs. Keep us updated on the refresh for spring!

Nice update, sucks about the subs but at leats you had some replacement subs on hand.

Good to see a thread update, sorry it's about loosing the subs. Keep us updated on the refresh for spring!

They were cheap so no big loss. Only paid $180 for all four and I still have 2 of them left. I'll be doing some more work on it over the remainder of the winter so some more updates will trickle in here and there.

Nice update, sucks about the subs but at leats you had some replacement subs on hand.

I just need to make the new ones last a while my "spares" are running low now.

Keep the pics and updates coming!! :drink40:

nice ride. cute to see you put your daughter to work... i cant wait til mine gets old enough so she can help me out lol.

nice ride. cute to see you put your daughter to work... i cant wait til mine gets old enough so she can help me out lol.

Thanks. She really likes helping me. We are going to restore/customize and oldschool Schwin bike for her together. Should make for a good time.

Well since I destroyed the subs and had to do some reworking of the box. I also got off my ass and finished doing the S/S hardlines to clean up the trunk a little more.

I ran all the lines under neath while the box was out. I wrapped the lines with rubber hose where they cross each other and also under the rack to keep them from rattling against each other.

Picture585.jpg

I welded some #8 unions to a tab and then welded it to the rack for a solid mount at the flex line.

Picture567.jpg

A few misc shots.

Picture564.jpg

Picture569.jpg

Picture568.jpg

I also opted to use Seco seals at all the hardline connections to insure against leaks.

Picture582.jpg

They slip over the fitting before you attach the line and create a softer sealing surface for a better seal.

Picture583.jpg

It's still not exactly how I want it but it's getting there.

Picture589.jpg

Picture588.jpg

On a side not I hate the new forum layout on here. The page is crowded as hell now.

Edited by outhopu

The thought and time you put into this build really shows in the final stages, looks great so far.

What did you use to finish that (birch?) box with?

Thanks. I used high gloss polyurethane clear designed for use on hardwood floors. It required lots of sanding and about 15 coats to get it looking how it does. I also stained it before clearing to get the color to match the interior trim pieces.

Edited by outhopu

Thanks for sharing the info man. Ive used polyurethane a few times on small projects, and I bet it took a whole lot of sanding to get that box looking that good.

Sanding the wood wasn't too bad. It's sanding between coats of poly that sucks. It takes forever for the poly to fully dry and it gums up if you sand it before it does.

Edited by outhopu

Picture588.jpg

Really looks nice!!! Very clean!!!

love the painted optimas, box and amp rack. everything is top notch

I just read through your whole build and damn its amazing how nice of work you have done. Seems like you thought of everything that could have happend and it seemed like you could do everything you dreamed of to this car. Its definatly an inspiring build to see. Keep up your great work

Thanks guys. I'm working on a center counsol to hold the head unit and eq now to clean up the look of the interior end of the install. Just trying to up the overall build quality now.

I've built a lot of cars over the years and I try to improve on every build to make a cleaner, more functional install.

Edited by outhopu

Trunk is looking classy. Excellent work man! Congrats.

Thanks guys.

Pulled the radio and the gauge pod I put in the factory radio slot and reworked a few things.

Made some new mounting brackets to hold the headunit/eq in the new center counsol.

Picture601.jpg

Mounted it to the counsol.

Picture602.jpg

Used a couple factory screw locations that are hidden by the trim bezel to hold the counsol in place for a clean install. I did the same thing for the new switch panel location.

Picture603.jpg

Picture594.jpg

Picture606.jpg

Picture607.jpg

Edited by outhopu