CTAudio

2 12" ICONS AMPLIFIER QUESTION

Im looking for a good amp to power 2 12" SSA ICONS in a 2.35^3 sealed box for a nice daily driver application. Will the Sundown SAZ 1500d v.2 be enough to power those ICONS? I am not overly concerened with extremely high SPL just a nice punchy daily driver with a good mix of SQ.

Edited by CTAudio

For sure. But if you want headroom or somewhere down the road the ability to throw more power at them i would look at something like the 2500, if you want to stick to sundown. If you got the bigger amp, there is nothing to say you have to use all of the power, just keep the gain down to where you want it.

1500D is plenty of power for a pair of Icon's. They don't need gobs of power to preform. Heck, I ran a 12" Icon on 240 watts and it was more then enough for daily needs.

1500D is plenty of power for a pair of Icon's. They don't need gobs of power to preform. Heck, I ran a 12" Icon on 240 watts and it was more then enough for daily needs.

x2 You don't need to feed a woofer the full RMS to get it to perform well. Just because a car has 400HP, that doesn't mean you have to mash on the gas wide open throttle everywhere to enjoy the performance of it...

I run a 10" ICON on 400 watts and it does great, granted i want :morepower1: But it does great as is.

I have to agree, running on my 12" Icon off a JL 500/1 .... It is flexing my now broken door and my hood seems to be vibrating as well.... Would like to put more power to it, but I think I want to go with a better subwoofer maybe get a 15" Xcon and keep the JL for now and upgrade amplifiers down the road...

x2 You don't need to feed a woofer the full RMS to get it to perform well. Just because a car has 400HP, that doesn't mean you have to mash on the gas wide open throttle everywhere to enjoy the performance of it...

:sleepwerd4::fing34:

:sleepwerd4::fing34:

LOL...everybody is a power fiend!

As power started getting cheaper, the pissing contests were on, when most knew little on how to supply the current or even set gains correctly. This lead to this blind misconception that you must run way over rms rating. 5 years ago, there was not 1/4 of the recones needed there are now, and that is directly due to the above-mentioned. Headroom is a good thing as music is dymanic, but only for those who know how to really set gains correctly. All I am getting at is worry more about quality and a proper gain settings, and less about maximum power. It is far better to make the most with less then incorrectly apply more and get less.