harveywong

Benefits of a 15.1 voltage regulator on a 270xp?

How much of a difference and what kind of benefits will I get by running a 15.1 voltage regulator on a 270xp? I just got my 270xp last Friday and it was suppose to have this upgrade regulator in it but after I installed the alt I notice that my voltage is only at 14.3. So I think they forgot to upgrade to the 15.1 regulator.

Harvey,

In the midst of getting all the hondas out your regulator upgrade was overlooked on accident. The honda regulators do really well but are set a little bit lower. If voltage becomes an issue, I'll issue you a call tag and get the alternator right back out to you as soon as possible. I do apologize about this however, but let me know how the voltage is holding up. :)

Kyle,

From 14.3 to 15.1 will I see a big difference in output from from my bass amp (4300 watts)? Or it doesn't matter since I'm getting more amperage with the 270xp?On high volume the voltage drop on the front battery is down to (13.9 to 13.8) but on the battery bank in the back I'm dropping to (13 to12.8) so would getting the upgrade voltage regulator installed make a difference?

Honestly, not really. The 15v regulator under full load on my car reaches full output at 14-14.3v.. so that little bit of a difference you'll never hear audible.

Sounds like you should run another run of wire to ur bank if its dropping that much in the rear.

check grounds..

snds like a voltage drop

Edited by djjdnap

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing next. At the moment I only have one run each pos and neg. So another run each should do the job.

Well I'm running 13kw off a single run of 0 of pos and neg so I would trace down that problem to see where you're losing voltage.

might be the fuse holder

Yeah, I had voltage drops too. I had .7 volt drop front to back no load. It was my grounds. Apparently my rear grounds went bad and so did my OEM grounding location on the engine that I replaced with 2/0 over a years time. :suicide-santa: i had like .4 volt increase from engine ground to grounding at the strut tower.

I have one battery under the box where the spare goes and other three on top in the trunk. There is about a three foot wire run from the one under the box to the others batteries and the wire runs that i have from the front to the back goes to that battery first. Is that where I could be losing some voltage? And also I have a fuse on that three foot run to the other batteries... Is that bad? Should I just get rid of the battery under the box?

On idle voltage at front reads 14.34 and the back reads 14.32, it just drop a little more in the back when I'm cranking my system but goes right back to 14.3 when i turn the volume down.I will try the engine ground to strut tower. Hope I can get a few more volts.

Checked all connections and fuse holders..they were all good..so I finally ran another fun of pos. & neg. 0 gauge and sure enough no more voltage drop.

Kyle,

My voltage is at 14.3 and at full tilt I'm dropping to 13.9-13.8. My question is if I ran the 15.1 regulator and at full tilt would I still be dropping to the 13.9-13.8 range or would it be at a higher range because of the 15.1 regulator? By the way voltage at the front and back are the same since I added another run of 0 gauge wire.

Well I'm running 13kw off a single run of 0 of pos and neg so I would trace down that problem to see where you're losing voltage.

Why do you have only one run?

Why do you have only one run?

Easier to fit one through the firewall? :P

That's correct it was easier to fit through the firewall and I didn't have time to do a second run. Got to remember though I only have a single 270 amp XP alternator..

Pretty impressive :)