bakedboy08@yahoo.com

RF amp gets really hot?

hey guys i have a new RF t1000bdcp amp that i have hooked up to my fi bl. i have the dual 1 and have it wired to 2 ohms. i have my gain about 3/4 the way on amp because my h/u preout volts are 2.2v. After i play my music for about 20-30 minutes at about 3/4 volume my amp will get extremely hot iv had people burn there arms on it when they set it on it cuz its on my sackseat and its folded down. I was wondering why my amp is getting so hot its crazy. is it because i need a new h/u with 4v preouts or could it be something else and what? i have no bass boost or anything on on amp or h/u.

Did you upgrade your electrical system?

How large is your alternator?

Low voltage, not enough amperage.

i have it wired seeing 2ohms which my amp puts out 1425 watts @ 2ohms, when i play heavy bass songs my cap volt reader doesnt go below 14.2 at idle, when music is off it reads 14.6v

Use a dmm on the battery terminals to verfiy that. Measure with car idling and amp at full tilt.

Maybe the heatsink is REEEEAAAALLLLY frickin effective?

But seriously, what gauge wire (and brand) and where is it grounded? You 2 fuses in the power wire right? One for the battery and one for the amp?

ok ill see what it comes out to i gotta find it, but if my voltage is dropping what do i need to do i dont have a whole lot of money i have a parttime job so anything that might help my amp from getting so hot would work and still why do you guys think my amp gets sooo darn hot haha?

ok ill see what it comes out to i gotta find it, but if my voltage is dropping what do i need to do i dont have a whole lot of money i have a parttime job so anything that might help my amp from getting so hot would work and still why do you guys think my amp gets sooo darn hot haha?

Low voltage. Either that or you have it at .5 and not 2? But more than likely low voltage.

Is it hot as fuck in your car? Cuz if it's 85 outside and you get in and jam it might be operating just fine but since it started out at 100+degrees it just gets hotter?

i have 4g power wire going to battery 4g ground wire to frame, 2 fuses? i have one inline by battery and then my amp has a 150a fuse built into it if thats what you mean? if i get the big3 upgrade would that make my amp not get so hot? does it make that big of a difference cuz this thing gets really hot like after 30-45 minutes ill let my amp cool down cuz im kinda afraid to keep playing it with it getting that hot

Low voltage. Either that or you have it at .5 and not 2? But more than likely low voltage.

Is it hot as fuck in your car? Cuz if it's 85 outside and you get in and jam it might be operating just fine but since it started out at 100+degrees it just gets hotter?

that could be i mean its been like 85-90 outside lately but i always have my windows down, the amp doesnt really get too warm just sitting inside car

Turn the gain down. Do the big 3.

Your electrical seems good.

I don't feel it's enough power to arm something in that car.

But what do I know ?!

Good luck.

if i turn the gain down i cant even hear my sub, im thinking i need a new h/u with 4v preouts so i only have to turn the gain up half way correct me if im wrong. yea cuz my lights dont dim really anymore but yet my amp gets really hot

My old RF amp got really hot. Double check your voltage as others have said, but if it really is going as strong as you say then voltage isn't an issue. This may be part of the amp's design, it should have thermal protection too.

You don't need a new hu with 4v preout, that wont solve anything.

The gain is there for a reason, to match signal voltages. Whether its 3/4 the way up on a 2v preout hu or 1/4 on a 4v preout hu

yea it has thermal protection and its never went on so maybe these amps just get hot i mean the middle doesnt get hot but the heatsink will get very toasty, well i was told on here before that if i got a h/u with 4v preouts then i wont have to turn my gain up so much which will be less stress on my amp

if i turn the gain down i cant even hear my sub, im thinking i need a new h/u with 4v preouts so i only have to turn the gain up half way correct me if im wrong. yea cuz my lights dont dim really anymore but yet my amp gets really hot

If you turn the gain down, and have a higher preout voltage head unit plugged in, it won't change anything. The amp amplifies that preout voltage, the same voltage will be achieved.

yea it has thermal protection and its never went on so maybe these amps just get hot i mean the middle doesnt get hot but the heatsink will get very toasty, well i was told on here before that if i got a h/u with 4v preouts then i wont have to turn my gain up so much which will be less stress on my amp

Aw shit mang you just answered your question. The heatsink gets "very toasty" cuz it's a HEATSINK! It's pulling heat away from the amps internals. It's doing what it's supposed to. If the middle of the amp (where the more sensitive parts are) is really hot then that's a problem but if that part's cool then you should be good.

And Duran is right. Say your H/U puts out 2 volts which your amp turns into 40 at 3/4 gain. If you get a new H/U that makes 4 volts and your amp turns that into...40...at 1/2 gain, then the amp is still making the same power and you didn't do anything. Having the gain up high is NOT BAD, if that's where you need it to be. Having it TOO HIGH is bad.

This gain rule is funny to me...almost like people saying "don't ever push your car past XXXXrpm cuz that will mess it up." Only true if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

haha wow thanks guys for all the input i really appreciate it. also for my fi bl if i were to use a dmm to tune the amps gain to the volts what am i looking for like what should it read where fdoes the sub have to read, is there a formula to any of this cuz i dont wanna just tune it to ear i want to see if its in the right place. i know it has something to do with the qts or maybe not i think is the fs haha not too sure always did it by ear but i wanna get the most out of my sub with it being safe

Aw shit mang you just answered your question. The heatsink gets "very toasty" cuz it's a HEATSINK! It's pulling heat away from the amps internals. It's doing what it's supposed to. If the middle of the amp (where the more sensitive parts are) is really hot then that's a problem but if that part's cool then you should be good.

And Duran is right. Say your H/U puts out 2 volts which your amp turns into 40 at 3/4 gain. If you get a new H/U that makes 4 volts and your amp turns that into...40...at 1/2 gain, then the amp is still making the same power and you didn't do anything. Having the gain up high is NOT BAD, if that's where you need it to be. Having it TOO HIGH is bad.

This gain rule is funny to me...almost like people saying "don't ever push your car past XXXXrpm cuz that will mess it up." Only true if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

I have that same amp and it never gets hot. This is also in the 100+ degree Arizona heat, but I have proper electrical upgrades.

I have that same amp and it never gets hot. This is also in the 100+ degree Arizona heat, but I have proper electrical upgrades.

whats your elcetrical consist of?