Sign in to follow this  
bcst86

need help with wireless connection

i just got a new netgear wireless router and tried setting up a password. it connects to the internet but only as a limited connection and cant get online. anyone know what i need to do? it worked fine without the password, but i dont want to leave it open so anyone can connect to it.

i just got a new netgear wireless router and tried setting up a password. it connects to the internet but only as a limited connection and cant get online. anyone know what i need to do? it worked fine without the password, but i dont want to leave it open so anyone can connect to it.

Save yourself allot of headaches/guessing and call the number on the box.

I had issues with D-Link and the tech walked me right through the entire process.

you are referring to the Key, not the password.

Password is for login to access router settings.

Key is encryption that is used to prevent unauthorized access to your internet service.

If it only works when you use no key, then i need to know what you are using to try and go online with wirelessly?

Is it a laptop, video game system, phone, etc?

2nd, you need to make sure that the proper encryption method is chosen on the device doing the connection.

Using the wrong method will not work.

Did you buy this router used?

Check and see if there are MAC filtering adresses turned on

Check to see if there are a limited number of DHCP users allowed on the network

is your router setup to transmit the same technology as the device doing the connecting?

There is A, B, G and N. If your router's technology is newer than the device doing the connecting, make sure your router is setup to transmit older style signal for proper connection.

Are you transmitting your SSID?

Some routers require that you do this even if you type it out exactly.

im trying to get my laptop on. i bought the router new. followed the directions from the disk that came with it. my sister came to town last weekend and her laptop connected to it fine. she just searched for a wireless signal and mine popped up, i put in the key and she was online. i tried doing the same with my laptop and it just says connected with limited access.

first things first-

Unplug power cord from router for a FULL 60seconds.

After this, plug power cord back in.. wait ~10 seconds then attempt to connect via laptop.

If it fails again, if running Vista or 7, run repair netowrk connection and see if it finds and fixes problem.

If it doesnt, open command prompt in All Programs -> Accessories

Type this is exactly-

ipconfig/all

Copy n paste everything it says.

Sensitive information will be listed here so if u do not want it posted publicly, pm me the info.

I will look over it and see if your Windows OS is still configured properly for networking based on this info.

Make sure your SSID is correctly typed in and password...both are case sensitive.