Sign in to follow this  
GoBigRed313

Starting a new box build, need some advice on new port design

Hello all! I am looking to reconfigure my trunk set-up in my Mazda 3 and am looking for some feedback on my idea to see if this would give me my desired result.

Currently, I have the subwoofer firing straight to the back of the car, with the port opened up to the rear deck ( I use a flared round port). The problem is that the rear deck is completely solid and this causes quite a bit of rattling, even after deadening the whole trunk.

What I am considering doing is rebuilding the box to have the sub firing straight to the back of the car, with the port opened up on the back of the box. In order to do this, I would need to put an elbow on the PVC port because the box will only be about 8-9" deep and the port will need to be much longer.

My goal in this is to get the most output out of my sub/amp combo and to reduce rattles and airflow by having the port open up on the back of the box. I would like to be able to drive around with the back seat folded down and hear no rattles, and loud bass.

Has anyone ever built a round port with an elbow bend in it? I imagine you should be able to, but just want to check with some other enthusiasts who may have tried this and had some success (or failure) with this set up. Are there any things I should consider when building, or placement of the port? I am not looking to compete or anything like that, just want a nice clean sounding/looking install to listen to music with.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Is there anyway to put the port on the side of the box?I have mine like that and it sound pretty good for one 12"

Is there anyway to put the port on the side of the box?I have mine like that and it sound pretty good for one 12"

I suppose I could, but the goal is to get the air to be pushed into the cab of the car without having a hole in the rear deck to work with.