irvin productionz

steve's anti-cliiping device

If your competing, why would one care about having a clipfree setup?

That doesn't seem like a good example.

And your saying its fool-proof, but that's not true. It does require some basic knowledge to use it, and most that will use it, should be able to use a Oscope also.

I pre ordered twenty! hehe.

And another twenty :D

Clipping and distortion can actually work on your side when competing ;)

Also, just to mention.. I know people that clip the shit out of their system and not think twice about it when competing.

But for how long? Bass race? :P

Also, just to mention.. I know people that clip the shit out of their system and not think twice about it when competing.

Exactly. As stated, I could think of absolutely no logical use for it other than to pad Steve's pocket. That I understand completely and even commend him on it as he came up with a perfectly useless product that he can charge a lot for and net $$. I couldn't sleep at night doing that, but the goal and even some of the steps used to get there I can appreciate.

I guess its the same as caps. Almost every company has one, and how they are marketed doesn't do the user any good.

And your saying its fool-proof, but that's not true. It does require some basic knowledge to use it, and most that will use it, should be able to use a Oscope also.

What knowledge do you need?

Put in the cd and turn up the gain till the device shows a red light.(so not really "knowledge")

Like i said a 5 year old could do it without having to read manuals that are longer then a page...

True, but most "beginners" don't want anything to break.. Since they don't want to shell out a big amount of money for maybe dissapointing results.

But for how long? Bass race? :P

Exactly, and if you do psychlone it is even harder on the equipment used.

What knowledge do you need?

Put in the cd and turn up the gain till the device shows a red light.(so not really "knowledge")

Like i said a 5 year old could do it without having to read manuals that are longer then a page...

It doesn't work that way, you have to play a sine tone. They cannot build one that is accurate that works with a CD for an anywhere near reasonable amount of money. This of course means that the target market of the noobs will still screw it up and again, it won't help them anyways.

Kirill man you're wasting your time. As usual they know more about a product than the maker/designer/ company. With that being said, instead of tring to downtalk someones elses invention, just go out and make your own device and use it in the way u see fit. Why is it so hard to belive that you can get a good product for a reasonable price. Is it becasue we didn't come up with the idea???? Audio equipment has been around for ages, and with todays technology, i'm quite sure such device is possible to produce. So instead of bashing a product first, test one out and send reviews for us to read/see and to make our on informed decisions on what is a good product.

As usual they know more about a product than the maker/designer/ company.

I don't think anyone here is trying to claim they "know more" than the designers or try to prove that as their point. But we don't need to know more than them, we just have to know the intended purpose of the device......which we do.

With that being said, instead of tring to downtalk someones elses invention, just go out and make your own device and use it in the way u see fit.

I don't think anyone here is trying to "downtalk" someone else's invention, but rather discuss the potential benefit of such a device. Just because someone produces a product, it doesn't mean everyone has to agree that it has a potential benefit and is worth a purchase. People can disagree about the potential benefit of a product, and they can voice this opinion. If you have such an issue with someone voicing their own opinion, whether you agree with it or not, then you have a long road of life ahead of you.

Why is it so hard to belive that you can get a good product for a reasonable price.

Why is it hard to believe someone may have an opposing opinion?

Is it becasue we didn't come up with the idea????

I would actually argue that SMD and his designer (Tony?) didn't come up with the idea, either. Or atleast, they weren't the first.

I remember several years ago Chris (he goes by "thechris" or "thch" on the forums) had an identical idea and was actually in the design phase....don't know what ever came of it. It will take me a little bit to find all of the info though.

Ah ha...Success! Notice the thread dates; over 5 years ago.

http://www.caraudio....tting-tool.html

http://www.caraudio....tting-tool.html

So instead of bashing a product first, test one out and send reviews for us to read/see and to make our on informed decisions on what is a good product.

I don't really see how testing a device such as this really has anything to do with influencing someone's opinion of it's usefulness and benefits. Someone can form an opinion on the usefulness of a device such as this without needing to see the LEDs lighting up. The concept is fairly easy to grasp, and it's the concept and benefits of use that are in disagreement.

If you think it's a good product then great....buy it. But don't expect everyone to agree with you, and don't expect those who disagree to bit their tongues.

Instead of coming in here just to complain because you don't like M5's opinion, why don't you try refuting his statements with valid reasons as to why you see benefit in such a product and actually contribute to the conversation.

Kirill man you're wasting your time. As usual they know more about a product than the maker/designer/ company.

Why is it so hard to belive that you can get a good product for a reasonable price. Is it becasue we didn't come up with the idea????

Agreed.

Probably because Meade is helping work on it. Everytime I've seen his name mentioned on here, its been followed by numerous bashes (*cough* M5). I guess they're just haters.... I dunno

Kirill man you're wasting your time. As usual they know more about a product than the maker/designer/ company.

Why is it so hard to belive that you can get a good product for a reasonable price. Is it becasue we didn't come up with the idea????

Agreed.

Probably because Meade is helping work on it. Everytime I've seen his name mentioned on here, its been followed by numerous bashes (*cough* M5). I guess they're just haters.... I dunno

I don't see M5 pick and choose things to discuss. He is the same regardless name or brand. So just because you have been in threads where Steve's name been in, and seen M5 reply, doesn't mean he doesn't post on the rest of the forum.

You starting to show your SMD forum side, thinks people "bash" for whatever reason.

You should know SSA isn't about bullshit, and doesn't sugar coat or let bullshit fly.

As far as hating on Steve, why would anybody? Just because he's popular, anybody that disagree's with anything that has to do with him, their classified as a "Hater". Which makes no sense.

I don't care if Fi or sundown made the product, I still wouldn't buy it.... Im questioning the purpose, not the maker.

Edited by beandip

Agreed.

I don't agree.

He maybe doesn't like him or he does like him, i dunno.

But he always gives good reasons/arguments, so i respect his opinion.

Agreed.

I don't see M5 pick and choose things to discuss. He is the same regardless name or brand. So just because you have been in threads where Steve's name been in, and seen M5 reply, doesn't mean he doesn't post on the rest of the forum.

You starting to show your SMD forum side, thinks people "bash" for whatever reason.

You should know SSA isn't about bullshit, and doesn't sugar coat or let bullshit fly.

As far as hating on Steve, why would anybody? Just because he's popular, anybody that disagree's with anything that has to do with him, their classified as a "Hater". Which makes no sense.

Generalizing people is not a good thing, i'm on SMD too. I don't think like he does, not all people are the same. (damn this get's offtopic..)

To get back on the discussion, i know a few people who would buy it.

Just because they are quite stupid and don't even actually know how to use a dmm, so don't expect them to use a o-scope.

And M5, why would you think that it wouldn't work?

The vid SM made, showed that on his handheld o-scope it started clipping exactly at the point the light flashed, and he just put in the 60hz cd and the 1000hz test tone.

They will first build prototypes and let them test by people, and improve, that's why it still isn't for sale.

He doesn't just wants to make money, but also to have a device that actually works the way it's made to function.(so not sell a non-working device.)

SM has a huge fan base, mostly youtubers, and we all know how dumb youtubers are.

Steve is gonna make money off of this, and nobody can get mad at that.

I don't have a feeling either way, don't know him well enough to like or dislike him.

Thanks for the props, my comments are always based on some reason and I try to explain what it is but sometimes I fail as I obviously did here by misinterpreting your post.

The vid SM made, showed that on his handheld o-scope it started clipping exactly at the point the light flashed, and he just put in the 60hz cd and the 1000hz test tone.

Didn't mean to imply it wouldn't work with a sine tone, I took your CD comment to mean throw some music in and run it and it definitely won't work for that. Of course without knowing what level, what song is recorded at, setting your gain based on that clipping isn't particularly (read at all) useful. Add to that the incapability of the human ear to hear major differences in power output from an amp and it is a rather strange desire to reach for the limits of output, instead you should reach for the limit of discernible audible difference and leave it there. For that a DMM is fine *assuming your amp isn't a piece of shit*.

Obviously I left out POS amps, but would question whether someone would spend even $50 on a product to check their amp, when they wouldn't even spend that on the amp. Add to that the oscilloscope gives you a lot more information I see no value whatsoever in this product. You may argue that an Oscope is "harder" to use as you cannot see what percentage the clipping is at but algorithm wise I doubt (could be of course) that all the harmonics are counted in the clipping tool either (nor would it be necessary). I will add that if the target market for the device is for people with POS amps I find it funny.

Curious what other uses anyone else has thought of for it. As I stated before, I can't think of any but perhaps someone else can.

I don't have a feeling either way, don't know him well enough to like or dislike him.

Thanks for the props, my comments are always based on some reason and I try to explain what it is but sometimes I fail as I obviously did here by misinterpreting your post.

Didn't mean to imply it wouldn't work with a sine tone, I took your CD comment to mean throw some music in and run it and it definitely won't work for that. Of course without knowing what level, what song is recorded at, setting your gain based on that clipping isn't particularly (read at all) useful.

You get the cd with the device. :)

And i actually agree with you, i wouldn't buy it myself.

I think if Steve wants to make devices to help kids from destorying equipment. How about something to help set subsonic filters or he's own filter for amps that have none. As noobs are even more confused about subsonic filter than clipping. And this causes just as many failures as clipping. Meh...

I think if Steve wants to make devices to help kids from destorying equipment. How about something to help set subsonic filters or he's own filter for amps that have none. As noobs are even more confused about subsonic filter than clipping. And this causes just as many failures as clipping. Meh...

Because his lovely sponsor is famous for having practically useless subsonic filters set at 25 Hz.

It's all about the politics.

I was just saying, if he coming out with a fairless useless device, might as well fix the subsonic problem.

I see just as many(or more) subsonic related failures than clipping.

Seems now, if you don't have a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment to set up you install, you fail.