Sign in to follow this  
eric-b

BL or BTL for this amp..

Pretty much decided on Fi for my next sub. Going for a single 12 in the trunk of a saab. The amp I have is an Elemental Designs Nine.1 with 1200 rms @ 1ohm or 900 rms @ 2ohm.

Question is whether I should go with a BL and push the limits or underpower a BTL? I listen to mostly rap btw. Thanks for any insight!

bl in my opinion but you could run a btl on that amount of power. What are your goals exactly

Edited by theluker69

Well... no matter how many watts you put to the BL or BTL... the BTL will be louder. (Assuming the same Wattage for both)

Ex. The BTL will be louder than the BL on 1watt. As will it be louder on 1200watts.

Hope that helps...

I under power my BTL and have no complaints what so ever. Think of it as room to grow if you go with the BTL. Sure it will sound badass with 1200 watts but you could always upgrade to more power later if you want.

bl in my opinion but you could run a btl on that amount of power. What are your goals exactly

Goals are just to have something that will hit hard when I want it to, but still sounds good for daily listening. I don't plan on getting too crazy with this setup, probably just the 12 and some components. Just looking for something that plays well in the hip-hop frequencies, but will slam when I'm in the mood (most of the time lol)

Well... no matter how many watts you put to the BL or BTL... the BTL will be louder. (Assuming the same Wattage for both)

Ex. The BTL will be louder than the BL on 1watt. As will it be louder on 1200watts.

Hope that helps...

Good to know also, just wasn't sure how BTL's perform in the 1k range.

I under power my BTL and have no complaints what so ever. Think of it as room to grow if you go with the BTL. Sure it will sound badass with 1200 watts but you could always upgrade to more power later if you want.

Very good point, hadn't looked at it that way. Can always upgrade later. Plus upgrading an amp is a lot easier than a sub since I wouldn't have to build a new box.

Edited by eric-b

id go with the btl. it will most likely be louder and give you allot of room for upgrade.

What are your trunk dimensions? If you can fit a 15 do it if its output your after. Youd need somewhere around 4 cubes depending on your choice of sub. I agree with the idea that the btl gives you room to grow.....but you should know its not as easy as just swapping in a more powerful amp. Youd need some electrical upgrades to go with a more powerful amp which can be costly. Just something to think about. Good luck with the setup

BTL hands down

What are your trunk dimensions? If you can fit a 15 do it if its output your after. Youd need somewhere around 4 cubes depending on your choice of sub. I agree with the idea that the btl gives you room to grow.....but you should know its not as easy as just swapping in a more powerful amp. Youd need some electrical upgrades to go with a more powerful amp which can be costly. Just something to think about. Good luck with the setup

oh I definitely understand that. Just said that because I'm lazy when it comes to building stuff lol. I don't mind spending though.

Trunk is pretty big but I don't know about 4 cubes. The 12 is recommended at 2.5 right? I'll check the dimensions.

Go BTL, then buy a more powerful amp later down the road. It'll surprise you again.

oh I definitely understand that. Just said that because I'm lazy when it comes to building stuff lol. I don't mind spending though.

Trunk is pretty big but I don't know about 4 cubes. The 12 is recommended at 2.5 right? I'll check the dimensions.

No I meant most 15s require somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 cubes. A 12 wouldnt need that much. But by the sound of things BTL all the way. N2 right? You mentioned its for music so im assuming thats the one you would choose

Fi BTL in a ported 4 cubic foot enclosure with the port facing the rear, tune around 32 or 33hz for daily. You won't regret it. (give it 1500watts or more) Just like the others said, make sure your electrical is up to par, bad electrical = low voltage = clipping, which in the end can/will blow your sub and amplifier. Start off with doing the Big 3 upgrade, also, add a second battery. What gauge ground wire do you plan on running?

IMO you should go with a BL just because you said you didn't want to go overboard on this build. These members on here that posted already I feel are recommending too much for your goals stated. Especially the one right above my post.

Fi BTL in a ported 4 cubic foot enclosure with the port facing the rear, tune around 32 or 33hz for daily. You won't regret it. (give it 1500watts or more) Just like the others said, make sure your electrical is up to par, bad electrical = low voltage = clipping, which in the end can/will blow your sub and amplifier. Start off with doing the Big 3 upgrade, also, add a second battery. What gauge ground wire do you plan on running?

I have the materials from my previous system, just a new car now. I had 2 12's off this amp in a single-cab truck. Got rid of the subs and kept the amp, wires, farad cap, optima, etc.

IMO you should go with a BL just because you said you didn't want to go overboard on this build. These members on here that posted already I feel are recommending too much for your goals stated. Especially the one right above my post.

Yea 4 cu ft seems alittle big for a single 12 dont they reccomend 3-5 for a 15? Im no expert so im not disagreeing with him or anything im just wondering. Anyway to the op I still think you should measure that trunk and see if you can fit a 15. Fi has some cut sheets posted on here you should take a look at and see if you can fit the reccomended enclosure for the 15 bl or btl. (i know theres one for the bl....cant remember if ones posted for the btl)

BTL 15 3-5 cu. feet, BL 15 2.8-4 cu. feet. The BLs take 1000w rms, so re-reading his amp specs, the BL with 1200w be perfect.

Alright...decided to go with the 12" BTL N2, fully loaded daily. Can't wait to get it!

Went with the 12 strictly for space purposes, 4-5 cubes isn't realistic with my current setup, and I still would like to use my trunk on occasion. Gonna build a 2.5 cu. ft. 32hz box and see how it does with 1200w for awhile. Anyone have specs for an enclosure this size?

Sign in to follow this