burko

1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Hey everybody, I picked up my truck yesterday, so it's time for the build to begin. IT's a black Z71 on 24s for now. 133k miles, interior looks brand new, overall great shape. If you don't know me well, I'm a 15 year old and this is my first setup.

Equipment I've already ordered/received:

1 D2 18" Fi BTL N2

1 AQ2200D

Thinking of running a D3400 in the back. The battery in the truck is basically brand new, so I'm leaving it as is. The guy that had it before me actually had a setup extremely similar to mine; an 18" SoloX. He had the big 3 done already. I got really lucky with this, seein as how I had no idea this truck had previously had a system in it. The guy knew what he was doing too; his family was workin on a car when I got there to look at it. They showed me a civic they built with 2 Sundown 18s and 2 SAZ-3000s. Made my insides tremble. That was without a doubt the loudest system I've ever heard. He had it walled off.

Pictures of the truck later today.

It sounds like a great start so far. I wish I got into systems when I was 15 ..

Good luck with the build!

It sounds like a great start so far. I wish I got into systems when I was 15 ..

Good luck with the build!

Appreciate it man. In the middle of uploading pics to photobucket. More will be up in just a minute.

Looks nice. Luck little bastard :P

lol hell yeah man. Family helped me out a good bit with the purchase of the truck. I have to pay every penny for the system though :suicide-santa:

lol hell yeah man. Family helped me out a good bit with the purchase of the truck. I have to pay every penny for the system though :suicide-santa:

Sounds reasonable :D

Just ordered XS Power D1200. Still waiting on AQ amp. E-mailed them and Michael cleared everything up. He even asked me for my shirt size because they're sending free t-shirts and stickers to anybody who had to wait. Thought that was pretty cool of them.

Nice truck! 15 years old damn you are lucky. Looking foward to your build. Good luck.

Sounds reasonable :D

Very reasonable. Same deal I had, except I didn't get as sick of a ride as you. Clean truck, man.

Appreciate the kind words everybody. I know you don't normally tell how much you pay for a purchase like this, but I don't really care. :P

Paid $5200. Very reasonable considering the mileage and the shape it's in. I contributed $1000. I paid for my previous truck, but I sold it and made a little money. After help from my mom, grandmother, and aunt (my aunt is like my second mom), I was able to purchase the truck with money to spare. It's got a few scratches/dents/dings, but pretty much any 13 year old truck is gonna have some flaws.

24s will be coming off fairly soon and it will be lifted 6" on 35s. If anybody wants to buy some 6 lug 24s let me know. Tires still have plenty of life. I live in northern Alabama.

Pics of box build (hopefully) this weekend!

Nice truck and cant wait for the progress, enjoy it man.

So I'm considering going with aero ports. I was thinking of going with 2 6" ports. If the box is 8 cubes and they are cut to 8.516874999999998" in length, this would bring my tuning to right at 40 Hz. Only problem is, I'm not sure exactly how big my box is...

For all of those port calculators on the web, are you supposed to already have a sealed box built, and they expect you to just cut holes for the ports? If someone could elaborate exactly how this process should be done I'd really appreciate it.

Nice truck! Good luck with build.

You will need to account for the port displacement when figuring overall enclosure volume.

I side fired my Aeros in my truck! 4-4" Aeros tuned to 36-37Hz, two per side. It has amazing lows, sounds great imo and moves plenty of air.

You will need to account for the port displacement when figuring overall enclosure volume.

I side fired my Aeros in my truck! 4-4" Aeros tuned to 36-37Hz, two per side. It has amazing lows, sounds great imo and moves plenty of air.

By accounting for port displacement, I'm asssuming you mean the overall volume of the cylinder? The volume of a cylinder is pi*r^2*height if I remember correctly. Should I subtract the total volume of the port all the way down to the end? Does this space contribute to the total box cu. ft. whatsoever?

*EDIT: Could you also give me a link where I can buy the best aero ports?

Edited by burko

madisound.com for aero ports.

You got the right formula for the cylinder volume !

You decide what net volume (without port and sub displacement) you want your sub in. then, you found what tuning you want and use an online calc (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31) for example. that will give you the length of the port for the tuning you want (you choose the port width).

Finally, you add net volume + port volume + sub volume = total volume. With this total volume you try to find dimensions that can fit in your car : you need 2 out of 3.

L x depth x width = total volume.

Be careful : external and internal dimensions are different(wood thickness).

It's not so easy, that's why I buy my designs on line : eclectic design, ram designs,...and many more... It's super cheap, and it works fine !

good luck !

Nice truck.

Congratulations !!!

15 years old and it's already your second truck ? Dam...

You don't need driving license in Alabama ?!

Nice looking truck!! Not many your age are getting with the program of buying a vehicle and having money to contribute. :drink40: Tuned in!!

of course you would drop in on this one curt.

BURKO: I would ask 98GMC what he has found to work good, he has done some different boxes that slam in his and has done too much research into these trucks that i know of. but your lucky, i had to buy my first car and first system my self when i was 14. kinda funny i paid 3x more for my system then my car and had my system first! 1987 2 door sunbird (ballin!) with eclipse cdp, pioneer speakers, mtx 1501d, 2 mtx thunder 6000s in prefab slot ported boxes with an optima yellow top. so i think your off to a little better start then me!

Good Luck to you on your build and with your truck

madisound.com for aero ports.

You got the right formula for the cylinder volume !

You decide what net volume (without port and sub displacement) you want your sub in. then, you found what tuning you want and use an online calc (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31) for example. that will give you the length of the port for the tuning you want (you choose the port width).

Finally, you add net volume + port volume + sub volume = total volume. With this total volume you try to find dimensions that can fit in your car : you need 2 out of 3.

L x depth x width = total volume.

Be careful : external and internal dimensions are different(wood thickness).

It's not so easy, that's why I buy my designs on line : eclectic design, ram designs,...and many more... It's super cheap, and it works fine !

good luck !

Nice truck.

Congratulations !!!

Perfect description.

Just to reiterate, because I want to be COMPLETELY clear before I go and buy something unnecessary, I should buy (4) 4" ports from here. Say I wanted a tuning frequency of 40 Hz.. I would cut the tube to make the TOTAL length of the ports 7.66" (including the length of the flanges on both sides)?

I would then decide what size box I want my sub in. To that number, I would add the total volume of the port (from the inside wall, I'm guessing?), as well as the volume of the subwoofer displacement (which according to Fi is 0.18 cu. ft.), giving me the TOTAL volume of my box, correct?

Edited by burko

15 years old and it's already your second truck ? Dam...

You don't need driving license in Alabama ?!

Yeah I cant drive by myself till August but my brother is 19 so he usually rides with me if Im drivin. My original truck was a single cab, and I wasn't havin that lol

Is your setup sub up or sub forward? I might have to PM you later on if I have any questions if you don't mind; we basically have the exact same amount of space to work with.

I've decided to go with a slot port, but I have a couple of questions that need answering.

First question: When the "vent length" is calculated in a simple calculator such as this one, what exactly does it pertain to? Should it be this length:

slotport1.jpg

Or this? (To be sure I don't get confused, we'll call this one "picture 2") :peepwall:

slotport2.jpg