nick_19

New BTL not very loud...

Ok so I got my new BTL in today and hooked up. Yes it is a D2 and yes it's wired correctly to 1 ohm. It's in the same box as my old havoc. It's on double the power as the havoc. I have a 225 amp alt and autocracy gold battery. Everything is the same setup as the havoc minus the sub and amp. It's just not that loud... I have to turn the gain up to 3/4 to even get it close to what it used to be. All radio settings are the same. I would think it would be a good bit louder, but it's just not impressing me. Any ideas? I grounds? I checked all x'overs, EQ, settings, etc. I'm lost. 4 volt pre outs.

Edited by nick_19

id say dbl check ur wiring.

somin doesnt snd right

So when you turn the gain up is it as loud?

Not broken in, but it shouldn't make THAT big of a difference.

Yeah I was thinking not being broken in but it's too much of a difference. Has anyone gone from a 1250 watt sub to a 2500 watt sub? I was expected a good 'wow'. Maybe my expectations were too high? It just doesn't even seem louder. I said I checked my wiring.

With the gain at 3/4 (higher than it should ever be for my setup) it's about equal I guess...? Not noticibly louder. Maybe not even as loud. Not enough to warrant the price difference!

Edited by nick_19

hvoc SPL 85.8 1W/1m 87.0 1W/1m 89.8 1W/1m

btl n2 SPL 89.5dB1 92.4dB1W/1m 94.0dB 1W/1m |

Yea id say something is wrong

You went from what amp to what? Voltage is good?

Yeah something isn't right, did you double check that a wire inside the box didn't come loose?

Yes sir. The only reason I'm so sure is that I have a plexiglas window. So I can see the connections ;) I hate to say it but now I'm disappointed.

check the VCs to make sure they're the right impedance?

Yeah I got a flashlight and checked the writing in sharpie on the cardboard part of the former that says "N2 D2"

Yes it is wired correctly. Coils in parallel to a nominal 1 ohm load. (electrical engineering major in progress--it's wired correctly ;) )

try reversing + and -?

Try each coil seperate.

play around wt the crossover ssf on the amp.

Know you said you looked, but uh try a dmm.

May sound dumb..but if you've still got the rockford amp, throw it back in there and see how it acts.

Yeah. It drops no lower than 12.5. T1000.1bd to SAZ2500D

Voltage dropping to 12.5v isnt good imo. With a 225a alt and 2500wrms amp on music (doubtful you even come close to that rms rating), you shouldnt really have considerable voltage drop.

You went from a RF amp to Sundown. Sundown amps are no joke. You may want to consider upgrading or reworking your electrical wiring if needed. You might even need to look into XS Power battery up front and another XS Power battery near the amp. I have a feeling you are starving your Sundown amp.

Maybe your enclosure foe the sub is less than optimal. :ughdunno:

Good luck

I went from a 15" xcon to a 12" btl N2 , on the same amp (saz 1500) and I was not disappointed.

first impression : "wow, how can that be so loud AND so low ?"!!!

It was incredible. My box builder (who has 2 xcons 15") said that he wants 2 N2 in 15" immediately !

Somethong is wrong in your install. From a Havoc and double power : n o way you can be disappointed !

:WTFBubble::ughdunno:

Yeah. It drops no lower than 12.5. T1000.1bd to SAZ2500D

Voltage dropping to 12.5v isnt good imo. With a 225a alt and 2500wrms amp on music (doubtful you even come close to that rms rating), you shouldnt really have considerable voltage drop.

You went from a RF amp to Sundown. Sundown amps are no joke. You may want to consider upgrading or reworking your electrical wiring if needed. You might even need to look into XS Power battery up front and another XS Power battery near the amp. I have a feeling you are starving your Sundown amp.

Maybe your enclosure foe the sub is less than optimal. :ughdunno:

Good luck

Agreed, but I'd still think even if he went easy on the sundown for this test, he could give the new driver as much if not more power then the RF, and it should be louder.

I'd do what Nick suggested first tho.

First I'd take the sub back out and check the coils with a dmm. Then double triple quadruple check all wiring, in the box, outside the box, ground and powers, rca's. Then take the dmm and set you're amp with it. Take square root(2500*impedance) should be right around 50 ac voltage. You may have a bad rca or a bad input. With switching amps you might do what nick said and hook the rockford back up.

How is the box placed in the vehicle? Make sure it isn't wired out of phase. This sounds like a cancellation issue of some kind to me. Try switching amps for sure, that would be a good test for the amp.

I don't have another amp on hand... sorry :(

Something I really think is strange is that if I turn the gain to, let's say, halfway (straight up and down) there is NOTICABLY less bass than there was with the Havoc. Now I bought this amp from dB-r, and they said that the repair done to it was for the gain knob. Maybe the gain knob is "out of tune"?

And I agree that 12.5V is too low of a drop. That also confuses me. I've got Big 3 in 1/0 (KnuKonceptz) and 1/0 all the way around. The battery up front is like... 750 CCA. It's not a little puss.

Whats the soecs on your enclosure? Volume? Tuning? Port area? What vehicle?

2006 grand prix. 4.496 cu ft. Tuned to 28.77 Hz. 54 sq in of port. Sub up port to the drivers side. This is the loudest setup for my vehicle given my constraints. Termlab tested.

12 inches of port per cube isn't enough imo, id go with at least 16"^2 per f^3.but idk how much of a problem it would be, maybe the btl just doesn't like that enclosure. Could be the amp. 12.5 isn't that bad of a drop, that sundown is probably doing rated at 12.5v

Fact is it could be anything, id check ALL wiring with a dmm. But those box specs sound off as well.