Sign in to follow this  
Dan208

Staying motivated.

As the title states, I was just wondering how you all stay motivated when it comes to working out?

I enjoy exercising, but it just seems like life gets in the way too often and I can't keep my motivation up and stick with a routine. As of now I haven't done a workout for probably two months. Don't get me wrong, I don't just sit around on my ass all day. I have a very physically demanding job, and I'm the one that does the majority of the housework (because I'm anal about how it's done :ehh: ).

I've had back problems for the last 11 or 12 years and gave up on weights several years ago, as I kept hurting myself. I turned to kettlebells and bodyweight, and a neurologist that I saw for my back told me to do Pilates.

My main problem, I believe, is that I tend to overthink the routines I'm doing. I'm NOT a morning person and have never been able to get into an early morning workout, and by the time afternoon or evening rolls around I'm busy doing other things or exercising has completely slipped my mind.

Anyway, enough of my rambling pitty party. Any suggestions for staying motivated, getting into and sticking with a routine, etc? My wife, daughter and I are planning on going to the ocean at the end of June (the first time for all three of us) and I want to be in shape for it.

What usually keeps me motivated is the sports I play. I want to be able to be able to out-work everyone else.

This pic makes me stay motivated :D

Funny_Pictures_5683.jpg

You're a real facking jerk GMC!!! I told you to not post this pic of me anymore bro!!! :suicide-santa:

Back in the day, I used to be very active and whatnot. So working out was no problems for me. I'd go about 4-5 days a week. But once I hit highschool and got a job. That all turned around. This was about 11 years ago. Then this year, I vowed that i'd get back into the shape. How I was 11 years ago. I wasn't very motive at all. I'd went like 1 day a week. Then I wouldn't go again for 2 weeks. But I couldn't stand it. So, I decided to force myself to go. Even if I didn't wanna go. Go anyways. But after about 2 months, I got into my routine. And enjoyed working out again. So i'm in the gym 5 days a week now. Love every sec of it. It has changed my life around. I have more energy, I feel better about myself, and most importantly, I can enjoy running around the yard with my 2 year old daughter and not get short of breath. I should also mention going for hikes with the gf on the weekends without getting tired. Maybe thats what motivated me the most, was my 2 special girls.

You're a real facking jerk GMC!!! I told you to not post this pic of me anymore bro!!! :suicide-santa:

I sorries Gen! :lol:

What keeps me motivated is the money i spend on membership, supplements, clothes, ect.

Also the compliments you get, well depending on what your working out for.

I lift hard so being able to throw an extra 45 on makes me feel good.

Knowing that i'm in better shape than i was a month ago and that it will continue is motivating as well.

But for your workouts snds like time is an issue, so have a routine planned out and just get in and get out. Hour at the most.

Also watching this video:

Yeah BUDDY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO45iY7hilI

Coleman's a freak

Not being one of those people who have to have a wall in there house taken out so they can get to the hospital. Also the fact I have a long family history of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and addiction.

2000 lbs. leg press? good god...I remember back when I was playing football I could do 600...shit...

My motivation?

My wife and my daughter, and any other kids i may have with my wife. I love being alive, and I don't want that to stop any time soon.

You have to want it. Part of wanting it is remembering to do it and making yourself show up.

Its like a date when you were single. You want to fuck that sexy blonde, but her dinner conversation skills are meh at best. BUT the booty is well worth it so you put up with it to get some right? Same principle. You want to be around for your family, so you eat right, put in work at the gym and make it happen.

Keep a log book of your routine. When you see all those 'missed days' with bullshit excuses written in there, it makes you want to get in there even more.

J

On that note this old guy in the gym was randomly talking to me and said

"starting your own business is like trying to fckin a btch.....There so many different approaches"

lol

Its like a date when you were single. You want to fuck that sexy blonde, but her dinner conversation skills are meh at best. BUT the booty is well worth it so you put up with it to get some right? Same principle.

:roflmao: That's signature worthy.

I also have something else that should keep me motivated. I was born with a heart condition and it's a given that I'm going to need a valve replacement in the future some time. Being in shape would help me recover faster.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get back at it today.

Not only would it help you recover faster, but it will keep the ticker you currently have in better condition. Its like a car part. You know the car has a bad rod, but its not thrown yet. If you maintain everything else around it, it should last longer.

J

What keeps me motivated is the money i spend on membership, supplements, clothes, ect.

Knowing that i'm in better shape than i was a month ago and that it will continue is motivating as well.

But for your workouts snds like time is an issue, so have a routine planned out and just get in and get out. Hour at the most.

Yeah BUDDY!!

HAHAHAHAHA....YEAH BUDDY!

That dudes looks so stupid :suicide-santa:

Yeah BUDDY!!

HAHAHAHAHA....YEAH BUDDY!

That dudes looks so stupid :suicide-santa:

What is so stupid? The squat suit to help him keep form and do more? The wraps to protect his knees? Or the fact that he is a genetic freak?

J

When I walk into a room and the other dudes are freaked out by me. Fedex and other things take a big chunk of my time, so I enjoy giving myself some time to keep on making myself a better person.

you could really just put this on ur ipod and listen to it b4 u leave the house in the morning.

Edited by djjdnap

Hey Dan, and updates?

Hey Dan, and updates?

Not really. Still trying to get myself motivated but I just feel so run down lately. I don't know if it's work or what. Sitting here typing this and all I want to do is take a nap. I'm working on cleaning up my diet too. Trying to phase out processed foods, sugars, etc. It's slow going but I'm determined to do it.

Hey Dan, and updates?

Not really. Still trying to get myself motivated but I just feel so run down lately. I don't know if it's work or what. Sitting here typing this and all I want to do is take a nap. I'm working on cleaning up my diet too. Trying to phase out processed foods, sugars, etc. It's slow going but I'm determined to do it.

The biggest non-specific thing, is just making it part of your routine on a daily basis. Just going and doing 25 minutes of light weights or moderate cardio is far better then not going. Find a good time that fits your schedule (for me I go every day at lunch and push as hard as I can for 55 minutes). So even if you are thinking about going, just go. The more you do, the more it becomes automatic and easy.

Hey Dan, and updates?

The biggest non-specific thing, is just making it part of your routine on a daily basis. Just going and doing 25 minutes of light weights or moderate cardio is far better then not going. Find a good time that fits your schedule (for me I go every day at lunch and push as hard as I can for 55 minutes). So even if you are thinking about going, just go. The more you do, the more it becomes automatic and easy.

I'm trying to make it a habit of getting up earlier (I need to start getting to bed earlier too :peepwall: ). With my back problems I'm usually pretty sore in the morning, so I want to start doing some light pilates or yoga, and hopefully that will get me "loosened up" enough to move onto something else.

Thanks for checking up on me. :gayhaaay1:

Hey Dan, and updates?

I'm trying to make it a habit of getting up earlier (I need to start getting to bed earlier too :peepwall: ). With my back problems I'm usually pretty sore in the morning, so I want to start doing some light pilates or yoga, and hopefully that will get me "loosened up" enough to move onto something else.

Thanks for checking up on me. :gayhaaay1:

This should be a group effort. :) Can you go after work?