Sign in to follow this  
burko

So Many Questions..........

I don't know if you have tried the RE Audio box calculator, but I believe it is the internal volume. It gives the port tuning, and adjusts the volume of the box when you adjust the port size. Here is the length:

http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Appreciate the link man, that helps a lot. Here's the dimensions I'm thinkin of goin with:

Width: 56

Height: 24

Top Depth: 15

Bottom Depth: 15

Square Port Width: 5

Square Port Length 2: 8

This would put my cubic feet at 7.913 and tuning at a little more than 33 Hz. What do you guys think?

Edited by burko

A sealed box would have a flat response curve, like a line. A ported back would have a single spot on the curve, where the volume peaks at a certain frequency. That frequency would be the tuning frequency. I wish I could draw a picture for you.

That makes sense, appreciate it..

Hope that last part wasn't meant to sound douche-ish... Hard to tell whether someone is bein a dick or actually bein serious over text...

A sealed box would have a flat response curve, like a line. A ported back would have a single spot on the curve, where the volume peaks at a certain frequency. That frequency would be the tuning frequency. I wish I could draw a picture for you.

Hope that last part wasn't meant to sound douche-ish... Hard to tell whether someone is bein a dick or actually bein serious over text...

No sorry, I worded it kinda bad. I meant it is much easier to explain with a picture. That's how I learned it.

I don't know if you have tried the RE Audio box calculator, but I believe it is the internal volume. It gives the port tuning, and adjusts the volume of the box when you adjust the port size. Here is the length:

Appreciate the link man, that helps a lot. Here's the dimensions I'm thinkin of goin with:

This would put my cubic feet at 7.913 and tuning at a little more than 33 Hz. What do you guys think?

Most people say that the re calculator is incorrect on the tuning freq.(seems to tune to high)

I plugged in the above specs you gave into the calc I use and it is giving a tune at 38 Hz

No sorry, I worded it kinda bad. I meant it is much easier to explain with a picture. That's how I learned it.

Gotcha, no worries! What do you think about those specifications I listed a couple posts up ^^?

snappy commnets like "causing the word to end" around here will get you no where especially when you already stated you were over your head. If you fully read the instructions that are posted in the file with WinSd you would have a llittle understanding of the program and what each function means and shows. Yes moving from 32 to 36 hertz while keeping the same volume can have dramatic effects on responce. At a give volume tuned to 32 hertz can give you a nice flat respnonce curve, while moving tuning to 36 could give you a 3-5 db peak with an f3 way above your desired f3. When tuning low and I don't mean 32. 32 hertz is no where in the realm of low, when using an enclosure too large for the driver's Kms it is very possible for the enclosure's "f" to be way above the actual tuning.

I didn't say all that before because you stated you didn't know anything about designing an enclosure. And most of the time it is easier to give people what they need instead of giving them what they think they want.

You ought to cut that smart ass attitude out man, I didn't ask for your fancy wording that a normal human has no idea what it means.. Got off of my topic please and I'll recieve help from real people.

And besides, I'd rather put the x in the 29cg chamber. Thinkin of goin with a 47h slant on the 63 curvature.

That's exactly the reasoning behind my first post because I knew you wouldn't understand or take the time to google basic t/s parameters and terms needed for designing and using any box building program.

And no a sealed enclosure will not give you a flat responce curve if it is not the correct volume.

Most people say that the re calculator is incorrect on the tuning freq.(seems to tune to high)

I plugged in the above specs you gave into the calc I use and it is giving a tune at 38 Hz

Well, shit.. Which calculator do you use exactly? Do you know the actual formula for determining tuning frequency using only those units?

snappy commnets like "causing the word to end" around here will get you no where especially when you already stated you were over your head. If you fully read the instructions that are posted in the file with WinSd you would have a llittle understanding of the program and what each function means and shows. Yes moving from 32 to 36 hertz while keeping the same volume can have dramatic effects on responce. At a give volume tuned to 32 hertz can give you a nice flat respnonce curve, while moving tuning to 36 could give you a 3-5 db peak with an f3 way above your desired f3. When tuning low and I don't mean 32. 32 hertz is no where in the realm of low, when using an enclosure too large for the driver's Kms it is very possible for the enclosure's "f" to be way above the actual tuning.

I didn't say all that before because you stated you didn't know anything about designing an enclosure. And most of the time it is easier to give people what they need instead of giving them what they think they want.

You ought to cut that smart ass attitude out man, I didn't ask for your fancy wording that a normal human has no idea what it means.. Got off of my topic please and I'll recieve help from real people.

And besides, I'd rather put the x in the 29cg chamber. Thinkin of goin with a 47h slant on the 63 curvature.

That's exactly the reasoning behind my first post because I knew you wouldn't understand or take the time to google basic t/s parameters and terms needed for designing and using any box building program.

And no a sealed enclosure will not give you a flat responce curve if it is not the correct volume.

I do understand something won't behave normally if it is not designed correctly. I was basing it off of proper design :)

The tuning frequency is not the peak. By definition the tuning frequency (f) would be where the responce line sits at zero db.

Congratulations... What do you think about putting the x in the 29cg chamber with a 47h slant on the 63 curvature?

Fb=((14630000*(D/2)*(D/2))/((Fb*Fb*Vb*1728)-(1463*(D/2))))

here's your formula for determining tuning frequency with volume in feet giving you port length in inches

Edited by Audibel Customs

The tuning frequency is not the peak. By definition the tuning frequency (f) would be where the responce line sits at zero db.

I do believe the tuning frequency of a ported box sits above the zero db line.

Yeah, that guy's a dick.. Don't worry about it.

If I build to these dimensions:

Width: 52

Height: 22

Depth1: 18

Depth2: 18

Port Width: 5

Port Length: 8

It says the tuning frequency will e 31 Hz. Will someone with a more precise calculator run those numbers and tell me what the actual tuning frequency will be?

Sorry to jump in but I just wanted to say that that guy is not a dick.He actualy designs and builds great boxes and knows what he is talking about.He was just trying to help you and you jumped to conclusions; so, please next time don't be so rude. People on here are just trying to help eachother out and are very kind but when u go around making accusations people will tend to not help u and be rude back. And trust me I am a newb when it comes to box building and I understand your frustration but that is no excuse to be like that.

I just read all three pages and boy are you a little shit burko.

You want help with something you don't understand, the help you get, you ignore and shrug off as an insult. Even one of the top builders tries explaining things and offering advice and your response is of a brat...

You have a lot to learn... Respect goes a long way man.

You can reply to this and tell me off, it really doesn't matter to me, just remember if you want help here, show some respect.

It says the tuning frequency will e 31 Hz. Will someone with a more precise calculator run those numbers and tell me what the actual tuning frequency will be?

Assuming these dimensions are external, so you need to take into account wood thickness and find internal dimensions then net volume, using 3/4" wood?

For finding tuning, you need: net volume, port width, port height, and port length. You did not post a port height.

Assuming these dimensions are external, so you need to take into account wood thickness and find internal dimensions then net volume, using 3/4" wood?

For finding tuning, you need: net volume, port width, port height, and port length. You did not post a port height.

On the RE calculator it would use the default height of 20.5, after subtracting the upper and lower .75 I beleive

Why Are You Still Helping This Disrespectful Little Shit?

He's Clearly In Over His Head And Doesn't Take Constructive Criticism To Good, I Say Let Him Figure It Out On His Own.

If He Wants To Buy Veteran Equipment Without Having Veteran Knowledge, And Be An Ass To People When He's Trying To Be Helped, Just Let Him Sink.

It's People Like This That Need To Stay On Some Other Tardtastic Forum.

I just read all three pages and boy are you a little shit burko.

You want help with something you don't understand, the help you get, you ignore and shrug off as an insult. Even one of the top builders tries explaining things and offering advice and your response is of a brat...

You have a lot to learn... Respect goes a long way man.

You can reply to this and tell me off, it really doesn't matter to me, just remember if you want help here, show some respect.

Im really sorry everybody, I didnt mean to come across that way. I took his answer as an insult, but I guess it wasnt meant to be taken that way. I was trying to get help from here as well as people in my town, and opinions didnt match up.

Im on a phone right now because the power has been out in north alabama the past 3 days, so we've been under a lot of stress as it is. I just let the stress take over and I took it out on somebody that was just trying to help.. I hope you guys will take back your "little shit" comments, because I'd like to be a part of this forum and meet some of you guys some time in the future. I really mean everything I'm saying.. When I read you guys putting me in my place up there ^^ I felt horrible and realized the mistake I made. Im sorry Audibel Customs and anybody else I might have offended.

BigCProductions, I figured you were insulting we from the very beginning.. I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but recommending 4 4'x8' sheets of mdf was a little extreme.. I ended up only using 1 4'x8' sheet and 1 4'x2' sheet. Whether you were trying to help or not, did you really think that much mdf was necessary?

So I hope you guys took that apology as sincerely as I feel it. I hope you can forgive me.. I just let my emotions get the best of me.

The box is finished. I'll post up pictures as soon as the power comes back on.

Once again, I truly am sorry for what I said. I hope you guys can forget about it and forgive me, because God knows I'm gonna need more help later on, and this site will be the first place I go.

On the RE calculator it would use the default height of 20.5, after subtracting the upper and lower .75 I beleive

I'm sorry, but where exactly was I disrespectful other than my responses to Audibel Customs? I realize I went overboard there, but reading through the posts I don't see any other instances where I was being disrespectful.. I acted that way towards Audibel because he used terms I didn't know, and I couldn't get on WinISD to look them up because I'm on my phone. Emotions took hold there, I'm not denying that. I just can't find anywhere else where I was being disrespectful. I'm not insulting you, I'm actually asking where it seemed I was being disrespectful so I'll know in the future.

Let me know.

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but I'm glad your able to look back and see what you were doing, and apologize. :)

The best thing you can do to get a firm understanding on everything is, read through all the forum sections, new threads and old. Use the search function, it's a gold mine of information. Also the12volt.com site and bcae have lots of helpful charts, calculators, and explainations.

Oh and be sure to post some pictures of box, hope it came out as anticipated.

Woops, I Meant To Say 2 4'x8' Sheets, My Mistake.

I Did Come Off A Little Harsh There, I Was Having A Little Bit Of A Rough Day, We All Get A Little Frazzled From Time To Time.

My Apologies, Hopefully You'll Stick Around.