xiihustleix

Few questions on tuning and building

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how the freq of a box affects the sound, like what a low freq is good for and how it sounds along with a higher freq? Also, when the inside corners/edges of the box are angled, will that give you better spl? And I was thinking of sanding the edges on the outside of the box to a curve to make them round instead of a straight edge...is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance,

Jack3d

**Any help is always appreciated :)

Edited by Jack3d SPL

Higher The Tune, The Louder It Will Be. It Will Also Be More Peaky.

Lower The Tune, Generally The Better The Response And SQ.

I Am Unsure If You Mean The Interior Port Edges (NO Sharp Angles.) Or Enclosure Joint Edges.

Yes, You Can Sand Down The Outside Corners. I Recommend A Router With A Roundover Bit Though.

Edit: 31hz-33hz Is Considered A Good Daily Tune. Highest I Would Go Is 36hz For Daily, And That Would Depend On Install/Driver T/S.

(Something Like An 8" Driver) I Generally Like Lower Tunes From The 28hz-32hz Region, As I Have Gotten Away From The Numeric Meter Jockey Scene.

Edited by BigCProductions99

Higher The Tune, The Louder It Will Be. It Will Also Be More Peaky.

Lower The Tune, Generally The Better The Response And SQ.

I Am Unsure If You Mean The Interior Port Edges (NO Sharp Angles.) Or Enclosure Joint Edges.

Yes, You Can Sand Down The Outside Corners. I Recommend A Router With A Roundover Bit Though.

Edit: 31hz-33hz Is Considered A Good Daily Tune. Highest I Would Go Is 36hz For Daily, And That Would Depend On Install/Driver T/S.

(Something Like An 8" Driver) I Generally Like Lower Tunes From The 28hz-32hz Region, As I Have Gotten Away From The Numeric Meter Jockey Scene.

I feel like an idiot asking but I wont know if I dont....what do you mean by peaky? I get everything else. lol. And with the angleing of the edges I've never done that before so its new to me but I was refering to the enclosure joint edges. Should I also angle the port edges? Thanks for the help!!

No, Do Not Angle The Port Edges, You Can Round Them Over, But No Angles.

Peaky Simplified: It'll Sound Like Shit. (I Don't Really Want To Get Into The Fine Details For Now, Because I'd Ramble Forever.)

I Haven't Really Done Any Testing Myself Of Angling The Outward Edges Of A Particular Baffle To Hear A Difference.

If You Need A Design, There's Also PLENTY Of Designers On Here.

I Also Recommend PWK If You Need A Design.

Peaky as in a Peaky response, instead of a gradual increase in output over the frequency spectrum, some frequencies wil be much louder / quieter then others

I'd say you need to list your goals first...

No, Do Not Angle The Port Edges, You Can Round Them Over, But No Angles.

Peaky Simplified: It'll Sound Like Shit. (I Don't Really Want To Get Into The Fine Details For Now, Because I'd Ramble Forever.)

I Haven't Really Done Any Testing Myself Of Angling The Outward Edges Of A Particular Baffle To Hear A Difference.

If You Need A Design, There's Also PLENTY Of Designers On Here.

I Also Recommend PWK If You Need A Design.

Thanks again for the help...I still have a lot to learn though. ;)

Peaky as in a Peaky response, instead of a gradual increase in output over the frequency spectrum, some frequencies wil be much louder / quieter then others

Think I got it now...thx

Well, I know how to make a basic enclosure with bracing and a port but would just like to know the little things that other people do to make their box even better. My main goal is to just learn how to build a higher quality enclosure and to understand how the little changes you make affect the SQ and overall box performance.

2 Rockford T1's.. I'd Say Daily. Lol.

2 Rockford T1's.. I'd Say Daily. Lol.

How'd you know...lol.

Got another question for someone....how do you flare a port? I want to make my next box with one but have no idea on where or how to start.

There are a few tut's on youtube that show you how to do so, I'll link them up for you later today

In class atm.

There are a few tut's on youtube that show you how to do so, I'll link them up for you later today

In class atm.

Alright, that's cool. I'll check out youtube now but if you have a really good one let me know. Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place :trippy:

In class atm.

Alright, that's cool. I'll check out youtube now but if you have a really good one let me know. Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place :trippy:

That.

Whether You Mean Kerfing Or Rounding Over The Outer Port Edge.

Just to clarify the above....a flared slot port.

In class atm.

That.

Whether You Mean Kerfing Or Rounding Over The Outer Port Edge.

I think it would be Kerfing...I've seen that on some vids I've been watching. It looks like the make a whole bunch of cuts real close together and close to cutting all the way through to curve the wood but can't find a tut anywhere. I'll try searching Kerfing on youtube. Thanks.

You Won't Find Anything On Youtube That Comes Close To A Tutorial, But Using The Search Funtion On This Forum And Just Generally On The Internet On Some DIY Mobile And/Or Home Audio Sites Might Get You What You Need.

HexiBase - Narrative Series - Part 4

Youtube, That Video Might Give You An Idea As To What A Rounded Over Port Looks Like vs. A Full On Kerf.

By The Way, His Designs Are Ungodly Wicked.

You Won't Find Anything On Youtube That Comes Close To A Tutorial, But Using The Search Funtion On This Forum And Just Generally On The Internet On Some DIY Mobile And/Or Home Audio Sites Might Get You What You Need.

Ya I just found a real general how to on youtube but I'll deff be trying to search the rest of the forum for a good tut. Thanks yet again :fing34:

No Problem.

It's Funny How Alot Of The People I Like And Aren't arsehos Are From Ohio.

No Problem.

It's Funny How Alot Of The People I Like And Aren't arsehos Are From Ohio.

:lol2:

What part of Akron are you from Jack3d? Reason I ask is because this happened to be the first forum I stumbled upon, as I too am looking to build a new box for a 18" SSA Xcon I just bought. Was wondering if maybe you wanted to get together sometime and see what kind of ideas the both of us can come up with for both builds. You know what they say 2 minds are better than 1 lol.

What part of Akron are you from Jack3d? Reason I ask is because this happened to be the first forum I stumbled upon, as I too am looking to build a new box for a 18" SSA Xcon I just bought. Was wondering if maybe you wanted to get together sometime and see what kind of ideas the both of us can come up with for both builds. You know what they say 2 minds are better than 1 lol.

Two heads are better then one. :ehh: