I drive an 03 Dodge ram....I am looking into a Sundown SAZ3500D (my dream amp....haha) and I was told that it pulls 300A and that my truck alternator puts out 120A max. I was for sure planning on running another battery for the amp, but another alternator and more upgrades? what all is required to upgrade to be able to use the 3500D? Is it worth it? Fill me in.

It gets worse Buddy.

Your factory alt is prolly putting out 80amps at idle and the truck is most likely using half that alone.

That's a big amp and will require a significant investment in your electrical to power it.

I dont suggest throw money away for no reason, but a HO alternator and a big group 31 battery would be a good starting point.

how expensive is that? or should i just go with a different amp? I was running an XTI-4000DE off the battery just fine :/

I run a 3k in my truck with no problems with just a second battery. I say get it and just watch it.

I run a 3k in my truck with no problems with just a second battery. I say get it and just watch it.

listen to this guy! :D

really though... only thing you can really do is get one. and watch voltage. and add as needed.

You can use a 10k amp, depends on where you set the gain :D

But really you can get it and watch your voltage and go from there. But a HO alt would be a wise investment with a big battery or 2, like lance said. There is a big chance sooner or later your stock alt will burn up. I did it with less than 1500 watts on a 60 amp alt :peepwall:

I need an example of a HO alt and how much it costs? And what would i be looking for when "watching my voltage"

DC power is a vendor on here, the prices depend on the output you want, ask for the options on your truck.

Get a volt meter and install it somewhere to see how bad of a voltage drop you get. If it's getting lower than about 12.5 then you need to beef up your electrical or turn it down.

Try a big three on that stock alt too. It would help you out. Have fun with that monster amp!

well I haven't gotten in it. and I don't want it to slip away if I can use it. but I don't want to go spending 1000s on making my electric systme handle the 3500d when I could just buy another amp already suited. Feel me ? Idk what to do.

Goals? Subs?

DDo you really need an amp that big? But remember having more amp than needed is a good thing to have for future upgrades. You don't always need to use all of that power if its not needed.