Philanthro

Road noise - need advice

So I'm trying to sound deaden my moms 2009 or 10 (it's the newer body style) Honda CRV to kill road noise. She commutes 1-4 hours a day (mostly highway) and hates the road noise. This car is horrible!

Ultimately she doesnt care about stereo or thermal insulation, she just wants a quieter ride. I was under the impression that the floor would make the biggest difference, so I used ~80 sq ft of damp pro on the entire floor, spare tire area, as high up on the firewall as I could get, and some on the back hatch. Also did the back quarterpanels I believe they are called (above the rear wheel wells) and stuffed the huge open cavities with several yards of fiberglass. The results are less than impressive so far. I plan on doing both the inner and outer door skin next on all four doors. I know that every car is different, but do you have any recommendations on what else would be most effective? The damp pro didn't even seem to make much of a difference on the road noise coming from the floor. It is still awful and sounds like its coming from everywhere!

I have used your products many times with great results, and I believe I can make her car nice and quiet with second skin, I just hope you guys could give me some advice on what to do that will be the most effective :)

Im sure LLP will help, and I was thinking spectrum in the wheelwells? Also can LLP be used in the doors or is it not waterproof?

As you could imagine she's a little disappointed with the money spent so far and very little results :(

Edited by Philanthro

The problem here is that you used the wrong product for the wrong application. Second skin is a dampener, not a noise blocker, it's designed to dampen panel resonances. The LLP is the product you needed to block road noise. Granted, the Damplifier and LLP work together by design, but considering that she's not running any stereo equipment, my understanding is that the Damplifier isn't even needed for what you/she is trying to do.

Hopefully someone with some more experience in the matter can give some more information.

Indeed, you need some MLV. I'd recommend posting this in the general deadening section as no one from SecondSkin has been here in months.

Indeed, you need some MLV. I'd recommend posting this in the general deadening section as no one from SecondSkin has been here in months.

:+1:

The issue you ran into is that you controlled the vibrations with the CLD mat, but never did anything to actually block the noise.

Vibration mats can only do so much to help reduce the noise, once the vibrations are lessened, a different product needs to be used.

So just like everybody said, a MLV layer with a decoupler (foam) will be the solution to your problems.

I apologize for the late reply.

or SMD. In fact, there's a rep who just posted literally 5 mins ago.

That's only if you want a rep online. You could always email or call instead, if you want.

I'm sure there are many educated people in the "Deadening" Section too :)

That's only if you want a rep online. You could always email or call instead, if you want.

I would be that rep. I just haven't made a new account here. :)

We're ramping up our support on all of the forums we support and trying to get back into the rhythm of things.

So expect to see me around more. ;)

Oh, I didn't recognize your username Jon haha

LOL, yeah I need to get everything setup over here so there is no confusion as to who the hell I am.

I would be that rep. I just haven't made a new account here. :)

We're ramping up our support on all of the forums we support and trying to get back into the rhythm of things.

So expect to see me around more. ;)

Novel idea in two ways. 1) Providing deadening help on SMD, sort of funny IMO and 2) having someone from SecondSkin who actually sounds like they might actually know what they are doing. Be a nice change from Ant who obviously never understood how things worked at all.

A quick way to change your profile is to add something like "Second Skin Rep" to your sig and profile.

Novel idea in two ways. 1) Providing deadening help on SMD, sort of funny IMO and 2) having someone from SecondSkin who actually sounds like they might actually know what they are doing. Be a nice change from Ant who obviously never understood how things worked at all.

A quick way to change your profile is to add something like "Second Skin Rep" to your sig and profile.

LOL. People on SMD need deadening too.

A rep in the Second Skin section has been MIA for a while and I'm sure people would appreciate having one.

That and Don could use some competition. :P

Only kidding of course... or am I? :D

LOL. People on SMD need deadening too.

A rep in the Second Skin section has been MIA for a while and I'm sure people would appreciate having one.

That and Don could use some competition. :P

Only kidding of course... or am I? :D

He was poking fun at the fact that most people on SMD are not intelligent enough to comprehend what sound deadening actually does, and how it is used.

Where in ID are you?

He was poking fun at the fact that most people on SMD are not intelligent enough to comprehend what sound deadening actually does, and how it is used.

Where in ID are you?

I assumed thats what he was referring to... remember I have to play nice on all of these forums. :)

Nampa to be exact.

I know several people who moved to or from Ogden and Provo.

Where in ID are you?

I assumed thats what he was referring to... remember I have to play nice on all of these forums. :)

Nampa to be exact.

I know several people who moved to or from Ogden and Provo.

I agree. I'm form Idaho Falls.