Alright, so here it is.

I have been looking around and i can't find any topic that talk about building a L port or how to build an L port.

I am going to have to do this with my box (unfortunatly) and i would like to see how some of them were done. I have looked all over "SPL & SQ / Fabrication" and "Build Logs" but i can't seem to find it. I found one persons video of him doing it but only the last cut.

It would be awesome if i could get some real experience about the "L" port and any tips/tricks.

Hopefully this topic will help more people out then just me!

I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say!

Are you basically asking about when a slot port needs to be longer than the depth and needs bend? What do you need to know?

Stop putting the L Port up on a pedestal...

Reminds me 40yr old virgin.

Use the center line measurement and don't 90 degree the bend,

use a 45 in the corner.

Check my build log in Team SSA section.

I believe there's some pics of the layout and building.

L port == slot port?

im confused :puzzled: an L-port isnt hard to build

Use the center line measurement and don't 90 degree the bend,

use a 45 in the corner.

x2...and thats how you build a slot (L-port) :dancing:

Are you basically asking about when a slot port needs to be longer than the depth and needs bend? What do you need to know?

Yes. I am asking if there is any advantages or disadvantages to using this L port design. With the port being in the middle (for me) of my box, would it affect the air trying to flow out of the port?

the only reason some people's ports are in the shape of an "L" is because the port needs to be longer than their box is deep, so they have to bend the port to keep the desired length for the tuning. Nothing special.

the only reason some people's ports are in the shape of an "L" is because the port needs to be longer than their box is deep, so they have to bend the port to keep the desired length for the tuning. Nothing special.

Doesn't it affect the airflow inside of the box and how sturdy is this type of port? Is it harder for the subs because of the long shape of the port itself? :ughdunno:

Actually the box will be sturdier due to the increased mdf used in creating the port. Air flow is not hindered. Some like to use 45 degree corners to help with airflow.

Actually the box will be sturdier due to the increased mdf used in creating the port. Air flow is not hindered. Some like to use 45 degree corners to help with airflow.

Oh okay. Well i mean around the port, not through it. Meaning the air inside of the box circulating around the port before it goes in or out

:lockd: Its L port shaped enclosure time :milkshakeak7:

:split:

Edited by djjdnap

my box looks like this with an "L port" sounds okay, next box im gonna do is gonna be a round port in between the subs though, try to get more even airflow in the box.

BracedLVL4Box.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

Yeah, sorry i guess i need to be more specific. I am talking about a slot port that goes right in the middle of the box and it's an L shaped port. So it is cut wood forced to bend. Does that make sense?

If it's in the middle of the enclosure and is longer than the internal measurements with a dual sub set up,

the port should be a "T" shape not an "L".

Unless it is on one of the outer walls of the enclosure.

Cut wood forced to bend???? :WTFBubble:

Do you mean a flare opening?

If so, the panels will need kerf cuts to make that happen.

I believe you are making this harder then what it seems.

Probably...

If it's in the middle of the enclosure and is longer than the internal measurements with a dual sub set up,the port should be a "T" shape not an "L".Unless it is on one of the outer walls of the enclosure.Cut wood forced to bend???? :WTFBubble: Do you mean a flare opening?If so, the panels will need kerf cuts to make that happen.

Well with the L shape it should stay inside the box and not have a problem with that.

No i mean the bend in the port itself, where you shape the L, because if it's a hard 90 degree angle it is harder and bad for the airflow in and out of the box, or so i am told...

I believe you are making this harder then what it seems.

Probably...

If it's in the middle of the enclosure and is longer than the internal measurements with a dual sub set up,the port should be a "T" shape not an "L".Unless it is on one of the outer walls of the enclosure.Cut wood forced to bend???? :WTFBubble: Do you mean a flare opening?If so, the panels will need kerf cuts to make that happen.

Well with the L shape it should stay inside the box and not have a problem with that.

No i mean the bend in the port itself, where you shape the L, because if it's a hard 90 degree angle it is harder and bad for the airflow in and out of the box, or so i am told...

Pictures please. Even if it's a crappy paint drawing lol cuz everyone is confused.

untitled.jpg

^Front view^..................................................................................................................^Side view^

Edited by DarkTinman

untitled.jpg

^Front view^..................................................................................................................^Side view^

Oh so it bends down?

This may or may not help,

This is of an old enclosure I did a couple years ago....

Box1.jpg

Box7.jpg

Box8.jpg

Box9.jpg

This is of the one I did last year...

BOX3.jpg

You can barely see the layout lines but this is the proper layout for the 45 degree at the bend of the port.

BOX57.jpg

The underside of the enclosure.

Here's a enclosure I built for a bud of mine for his 4~15's

PassView2.jpg

BOX3.jpg

Hopefully these may help you better understand what needs to be done to help "bank" the air to reduce turbulence in the port.

untitled.jpg^Front view^..................................................................................................................^Side view^
Oh so it bends down?

Sorry, bends up

Hopefully these may help you better understand what needs to be done to help "bank" the air to reduce turbulence in the port.

Okay, so from looking at your builds (That are looking pretty legit) the port needs to be build to a side of the wall?

Okay, so from looking at your builds (That are looking pretty legit) the port needs to be build to a side of the wall?

No, there are no rules that say that. It is regularly the easiest to do that though as you can imagine just by thinking about the build.

Definitely making this hard. Generically you only need to worry about the length and not shape. Turn it as you have to, but when you do the only shape consideration is to minimize the restriction to air movement and you are golden.