I have a 2000 Bmw 528i, I've been looking all over the net for a ho alternator and I cannot find any.

Does anyone know of any top notch companies that make or custom make h.o. alternators for

bmws?

excluding nations alts and power bastards.

well probly because of the casing.

Most places can upgrade ur current alt if u can go wt out driving ur car for a while

I have a 2000 Bmw 528i, I've been looking all over the net for a ho alternator and I cannot find any.

Does anyone know of any top notch companies that make or custom make h.o. alternators for

bmws?

excluding nations alts and power bastards.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/

The alt he is referring to from quality power is a modified stock alt...

Don't go with rewound alternators.

Yeah I kinda already posted about that specific alt on smd, didn't feel like retyping everything.

I also know they rate their alts cold and lose 5-10% once hot, just something to keep in mind.

And It's probably rewired so max output almost doubles and idle drops like a bag of bricks.

As far as reliability, ehh, wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of the road

I don't see it doing close to double rewounded.

Do your own research and choose. All you're going to hear is speculation since nobody has actually measured one of these (although I will at some point). Don't listen to people who slag off on a company with no evidence to back up their statements.

I don't care what company it is. rewounds are shit. I'd go stock instead of rewound.

Do your own research and choose. All you're going to hear is speculation since nobody has actually measured one of these (although I will at some point). Don't listen to people who slag off on a company with no evidence to back up their statements.

Your right, some of my statement is speculation.

But the facts are:

Stock case

ratings were measured cold

loses 5-10% once hot (as do other alts, but just depends where they rate it at to begin with)

uses a smaller pulley (which may not be a bad thing)

^This was all gathered from speaking to the company.

So it is pretty damn safe to assume that in order for their alternator to make anywhere near the power it is, that they are rewound.

When you get your alt installed, post up the amperage numbers from engine idle and 3500rpm or what ever, and show me wrong if you would like...

Just trying to help the OP before he makes a purchase one way or another.

I would actually contact DC first.

Thats what I plan on doing for my 328i.

I know Mechman made it clear for mercedez benz, any ho alt would come out an arm and a leg. But I have a BMW now so idk if that still applies.

I would actually contact DC first.

Thats what I plan on doing for my 328i.

I know Mechman made it clear for mercedez benz, any ho alt would come out an arm and a leg. But I have a BMW now so idk if that still applies.

I have to agree. Contact DC Power Enjineering. They made a 320 amp alt for my 2004 Stratus which will do 160 amps at idle. Most companies out there other then DC also tend to over rate them selves. Meaning that most of them cant even put out what they are rated at. With DC power, if their alt is rated at 160 amps, then its actual output power would test at around 200 amps. DC is known to put out more than what its rated for. Their only bad thing is that it takes soo long to get your alt. They are a very small company so I can give them some slack for that reason. Otherwise they have made the best alternators that I have ever seen.

Your right, some of my statement is speculation.

But the facts are:

Stock case

ratings were measured cold

loses 5-10% once hot (as do other alts, but just depends where they rate it at to begin with)

uses a smaller pulley (which may not be a bad thing)

^This was all gathered from speaking to the company.

So it is pretty damn safe to assume that in order for their alternator to make anywhere near the power it is, that they are rewound.

When you get your alt installed, post up the amperage numbers from engine idle and 3500rpm or what ever, and show me wrong if you would like...

Just trying to help the OP before he makes a purchase one way or another.

Sigh. You all were right and I was wrong. The alt is rubbish and won't even push enough amps at idle to power stock accessories. I have given up on car audio in this BMW and am trading it in for a Tahoe in which I will use alts from DC Power. I will probably have to involve my credit card company in order to get my money back from these guys.