I installed a fi ssd lastnight. My enclosure is 2 cu ft tuned to 32 hz. At first I set the subsonic filter at about 12 o'clock and I wasn't impressed, the lows were really lacking. I figured since the filter ranges from 15-50 that half way would be 32.5. I turned the filter back to around 10 o'clock and the sub really opened up, I'm very happy with it now. I don't want to harm my new woofer so I'm just curious if I have it set correct.

Other info. Hu is an alpine cda 105 (2 volt preouts). Amp gain set a hair over half way. No bass boost and I'd say the lpf is set around 10 o'clock also

Disconnect speaker.

play a 30hz tone with ssf counter clockwise.

Write down voltage using dmm on output terminals on amp.

Multiply voltage by 0.707

Now turn up ssf until numbers matches the above.

This should get you close.

The Tech section on this website has a 30hz tone.

Turn the SSF all the way counter clockwise, play a 30HZ note and record voltage, once done.

Next, multiple that voltage times the number Stef put down, which was .707 and gradually raise the SSF till you get reasonably close if not exactly on the voltage you got from that calculation.

So, say you got 30v out of the amp, multiply by .707 - 30*.707 = 21.21V so, try to match that voltage while rasing the SSF.

Max listening volume which should be 3/4 total volume on the headunit. For tones click the tech tab at the top of the page and then click sine waves.

Volume on hu is immaterial. Just don't change volume between testing

lpf to 100hz

ssf to 30-35hz

usually

100hz is pretty high

is it?

I mean on a pot that goes from hz-khz, i doubt it would be very accurate regardless.

is it?

I mean on a pot that goes from hz-khz, i doubt it would be very accurate regardless.

Confused.

Yeah the dials on the amps for settings are pots, and they vary impedance when adjusted, but the lpf on his amp probably only goes to 300hz...

on the lpf?

mines like 50hz-500khz

on the lpf?

mines like 50hz-500khz

WTF REALLY!!

Pictures or it didn't happen?!?!?!?!

pics-post-pics-never-happened-bbq-pancakes-black-man-white-w-demotivational-poster-1218727947.jpg

8khz my bad

Well most monoblock amplifiers used for bass don't go anywhere near that high...

And having it adjusted at 100hz verse 80hz verse 60hz, etc is noticeable. It's all preference on how high you cross it, but I know for me I like it crossed around mid 50 or it doesn't sound good to my ears.

ok i did it, it just seems turned really high. its almost turned 3/4 of the way. how accurate are the numbers that are on the amp? ssf is 15-50 hz on my amp, so wouldnt 1/2 way be 32.5 hz. im just trying to get a better understanding. and how do i know if my lpf is set right?

I don't know about everyone else but I just turn the volume up to the loudest I listen to, set the gain where it is and then turn the SSF all the way up. Pop in a 20hz (sometimes lower) and turn the subsonic down until I feel its too far and then back it up a hair.

LPF is up to you. I set mine around 80hz but some set them lower and some set them higher. Its what you want the sub to play or not to play.

ok i did it, it just seems turned really high. its almost turned 3/4 of the way. how accurate are the numbers that are on the amp? ssf is 15-50 hz on my amp, so wouldnt 1/2 way be 32.5 hz. im just trying to get a better understanding. and how do i know if my lpf is set right?

I know what your saying, but I don't know if you turned the dial exactly to the center if it would actually be 32.5hz. I just know I use the above voltage*0.707 to get around my crossover point, then sometimes adjust it a little one way or another by ear and watching cone excursion.

For lpf, I believe you would turn it fully clockwise, play a tone that you want to cross the filter at, say 70hz. Write down that voltage then multiply by 0.707

Then lower (turn counterclockwise) until it matches the voltage*0.707

When setting these filters, don't set the volume near your max listening, you don't want to make your subwoofer play a 70hz tone at full tilt, or a 30hz tone at full tilt.

Just make sure whatever volume you use, that it doesn't change between adjusting the filters.

i thought it sounded great when i had the ssf set a lil under half way, it didnt look like it was hurting the sub but im not an expert and dont want to ruin my equipment. max listening volume for me is 22-24(pending on the song) out of 35 on my alpine hu

You will hear and see it when the sub is in trouble.

it sounded fine, better because it dug deeper on the low notes. i didnt hear any signs of stress at that setting and the sub looked to be playing nice and smooth

it sounded fine, better because it dug deeper on the low notes. i didnt hear any signs of stress at that setting and the sub looked to be playing nice and smooth

Then turn the ssf down a little and pay attention to it :P