Pesti13nce

How did you lose the weight?

My pant size went NEAR 50... i nearly crapped myself.. After taking a good look at my lifestyle, it's time to make a change.

I started to look into a gym membership, 9Few deals thru work)

Soda consumption is WAY WAY to high! During one sitting I could pound 2 or 3 mtn dews like it was my job!.. no good.

My question is, a lot of people at my work use the gallon milk jugs and go to town with the water. How much should i realistically attempt to consume in a day?

One of my main problems is, i work 4 days a week, so i have a whole lot of nothing to do for 3 days, i'm trying to save up for a new jetski for next season so i try not to spend money on stupid things... emphasis on the word TRY.

One of my major vices is fast Food. Being a single guy I attempted to justify being cheaper to just get food save for breakfast. Hell friday i got up early to do something and before i knew i ate FF 3 times that day... I felt like a massive scumbag.

Lunch at work got better since i go to subway instead of Mc'ds, anymore.

What else can I do to help? I know my uncle who was sort of in the same boat as me used to make whey protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and said it helped, but he says the 9 million other diets he's done in a year have helped.. i dunno.

I'm going to try the gym deal, going to move from soda, to water, and try and eat better.. Possibly make dinners at home or at least get better snacks.. :-P

I could use a few ideas, i'm not a big fan of supplements and diet pills simply because i don't know enough about them. Any advice or suggestions would be amazing..

Edited by Pesti13nce

a gallon a day, which is like 128oz

just slow down the eating out or exercise more.

Burn more calories than you take in is key

i used to be overweight also and it was that time when i saw myself and felt it is time for a LIFE change and not just a get slim quick way. Like you one of my bigger problems was fastfood and soda. i cut both of those out and have not gone back to em except for once a month on my cheat day. but i am a runner now and doing some long distance runs. You have to find something that you like and can be active in to loose weight or you wont want to do it. like i found running. it is a love hate relationship with running for me but its always worth it when im done. Right now im up to 5 miles 4 days a week and do some lifting at the gym. im not trying to get big just fit. i also play sports like basketball, softball, and soccer.the key for you will to try different kinds of cardio to loose weight and get your nutrition right. The main thing is to cut out fast food and soda. make more food at home and just try new things. but when i actually started to loose weight was when i started running and cut out the fast food and soda.

it takes time to get where you want but you just have to keep trying because it will all be worth it in the end. good luck with getting healthy.

I"m gonna start the slow roll, i'm not in a huge rush. I mean i've been large for near 30 years, i'm 6'6" with a heavy frame i mean i can't even wear normal watches cause the bands don't fit around my wrists.. lol I've decided to start walking running is a little rough since i can't imagine a man of my stature would do well running with the impact on my knees at this point. Might even try getting back into basketball, haven't played since high school.

Weightlifting is a good exercise believe it or not.

Ok I didn't read everyone's responses but let me list my opinions (not in order of importance) and if its been said multiple times please excuse me

1) Cut out as much (if not all) Soda, fast food, grease, and shit there of. If giving up soda is too much, LIMIT IT and swith to diet.

2) Pick up the water. It will speed up your metabolism.

3) Start bringing lunch to work. Put it in the fridge or something there of. Eliminating Fast food is a huge help.

4) Walk more. Spend time off your ass doing something like biking, walking, playing with a dog, or something. Watching TV and eating snacky shit won't help.

5) SMALL MEALS. This 3 meals a day bullshit will fuck you up. 4-7 SMALL meals a day will fend off hunger, speed up your metabolism, and allow you to eat healthier.

6) WORK OUT. You work 4 days a week, and I am going to guess you don't do 17 hour days so getting into a gym should be feasable as you don't have a ball and chain at home.

7) Put off the jet ski until you lose a set amount of weight or are in a certain size jeans COMFORTABLY. Having a goal to work for will make you work even harder. The more you push it off, and make excuses the harder it becomes. TRUST ME I KNOW THIS FROM MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

8) SMALL rewards are fair. For example, for every say 15 lbs you drop reward you self with ONE meal at a FF place. This does not mean 2 of everything beacuse 'I miss the taste of all of them so much' but a grilled chicken sammich, a coke, and a medium fry. Since food seems to be a vice for you, make it a reward for kicking some ass. If you slip up you now have to lose double the weight for each reward. Punish yourself for fuck ups, reward your self for gold star work.

J

Ok I didn't read everyone's responses but let me list my opinions (not in order of importance) and if its been said multiple times please excuse me

1) Cut out as much (if not all) Soda, fast food, grease, and shit there of. If giving up soda is too much, LIMIT IT and swith to diet.

3) Start bringing lunch to work. Put it in the fridge or something there of. Eliminating Fast food is a huge help.

4) Walk more. Spend time off your ass doing something like biking, walking, playing with a dog, or something. Watching TV and eating snacky shit won't help.

5) SMALL MEALS. This 3 meals a day bullshit will fuck you up. 4-7 SMALL meals a day will fend off hunger, speed up your metabolism, and allow you to eat healthier.

6) WORK OUT. You work 4 days a week, and I am going to guess you don't do 17 hour days so getting into a gym should be feasable as you don't have a ball and chain at home.

7) Put off the jet ski until you lose a set amount of weight or are in a certain size jeans COMFORTABLY. Having a goal to work for will make you work even harder. The more you push it off, and make excuses the harder it becomes. TRUST ME I KNOW THIS FROM MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

8) SMALL rewards are fair. For example, for every say 15 lbs you drop reward you self with ONE meal at a FF place. This does not mean 2 of everything beacuse 'I miss the taste of all of them so much' but a grilled chicken sammich, a coke, and a medium fry. Since food seems to be a vice for you, make it a reward for kicking some ass. If you slip up you now have to lose double the weight for each reward. Punish yourself for fuck ups, reward your self for gold star work.

J

Might be the best advice givin. definitly gonna use that one. gonna give the wife the SAZ3k!

Weightlifting is a good exercise believe it or not.

And if done with intensity and with good form will be more injury free than most aerobics and will shed fat much faster

Rewards and writing down goals are the 2 top ways to motivate ones self. The rewards function less for me that writing down and promising myself.

To see an agreement with my signature and not hold up to it is much worse than not getting a reward.

You got to start eating in. The different between steak, green beans, and potatoes at your house compared to outback will be worlds apart in price and calories.

Just out of curiosity, do you find any joy in cooking?

PS- times infinity to everything above my post

Get rid of soda completely. Forget candies, chocolates, chips, cookies etc.

Go to the gym and try to do cardio every time you go. Lift weights cause that is necessary, proved at least in my experience.

Take yogurt, cheese, ham and a bit of bread for breakfast. Chicken breast (or fish), broccoli and carrots for lunch and tuna with onions (if you want) NO MAYO and bread for dinner. In between take apples or any other fruit if you want.

I bet in 3-4 weeks you will be really happy and proud of yourself.

I weighted 203 pounds in June 2010. Im now on 168. It is hard, going out makes it hard during the weekends, but when you say NO and the next day you wake up knowing you said NO and you didnt, you feel GREAT.

J

Might be the best advice givin. definitly gonna use that one. gonna give the wife the SAZ3k!

I say this beacuse my 'reward' for busting my ass the first 1/2 of my tour was my dd 9512's.............my end of tour reward is a quad/extended cab for my daily driver. Its driving me to kick some ass. I have slacked lately due to circumstances beyond my everyday control at times though.

Get rid of soda completely. Forget candies, chocolates, chips, cookies etc.

Go to the gym and try to do cardio every time you go. Lift weights cause that is necessary, proved at least in my experience.

Take yogurt, cheese, ham and a bit of bread for breakfast. Chicken breast (or fish), broccoli and carrots for lunch and tuna with onions (if you want) NO MAYO and bread for dinner. In between take apples or any other fruit if you want.

I bet in 3-4 weeks you will be really happy and proud of yourself.

I weighted 203 pounds in June 2010. Im now on 168. It is hard, going out makes it hard during the weekends, but when you say NO and the next day you wake up knowing you said NO and you didnt, you feel GREAT.

I can get behind what your saying minus the cardio. I nave always been taught that cardio is most effective right after you wake up on an empty stomach. It makes the metabolosim jump start.

J

It really depends on what your goals are and what you are looking for in my opinion.

If you wake up and do cardio immediately your body has no glycogen stores and must immediately start burning fat for energy. This however will cause decreased performance because your body does not efficiently turn fat into energy. You may burn fat, but you may burn less calories overall and not gain as much muscular tone because of your decreased performance. However, if you have something[ before your cardio your body won't freak out but will be able to burn those carbs then transition into burning fat. Overall you may see a better workout which could leas to an equal amount of fat burned and more calories overall.

Not to mention that I think you would feel much better afterwards, and therefore better throughout the day. If you plan on eating 500 cal for breakfast, portion 150 before, 350 after and I think you will see more calories burned

Mike, you have a the right idea. A small protein and carb snack before a morning cardio session is ideal. More so that when your body is starved it will eat/burn muscle rather than fat, and that's a really bad thing. You also have a really high level testosterone in the morning, and taking advantage of that is a great thing. Lots of guys lift in the AM to take advantage. I cannot lift untill at least 30 min after waking up. And even then I'm still not mentaly on my game.

I can however mindlessly pedal or phuk around on an eliptical. If I could get a rowing machine in the livingroom.... Hot damn! I would be up everymorning with the news and my work out swerve on.

Haha, my reward for the weight loss is my father's C6, ZO6... well I'm payin for it but whatever, lmao. The ski I bought right after this post so no big deal. I did kill the soda, fast food, and started making my own meals. Gonna keep this rolling we will see.

Okay you now have a 'new' reward. EARN it before you get it. Don't get it and 'earn it' AFTER the fact. Getting a reward before the work is done does nothing but remove your motivation to do well.

You talk about being a bigger dude for over 30 years, and with the FF intake, is it fair to assume that you have no lil lady in your life? Might the added reward of a sexy lil lady entice you?

J