Sign in to follow this  
thor02

Component wiring question

I'm looking into getting an 8 ohm woofer and a tweeter for each of my stock locations. The amp i have is rated for 50x4 @4 ohms and has a bridged rating of 160x2 @4 ohms.

Question is, would it be ok to bridge each side (1 woofer and 1 tweeter) @4 ohms, provided that i find a decent 8 ohm tweeter?

Or am i just better off running each speaker to it's own channel?

I'm not too familiar with this stuff, so excuse me if i am completely missing something.

What are you going to use as a crossover? If you have a good crossover in your headunit you can do an active setup. It may just be a bettter option to get a comp set. What's your budget.

Edited by ricksi30

My head unit is an Alpine CDA-105. I don't think i could do active with that, and i'm not getting a new head unit.

I really would like to keep it under $175 for the crossover, tweeter and woofer.

Purchase a pre-built component set. Do not try to build your own, which is what it appears you are trying to do. With your experience level, "active" would not be a good option either. Just purchase a normal component set, it will be the easiest and best performing option for you. You could then bridge the amplifier, run one pair of bridged channels to the left passive and the other pair of bridged channels to the right passive.

Also, having an 8ohm mid and 8ohm tweeter on a passive crossover does not equal a 4ohm load....it would be an 8ohm load.

Alright guys, thanks for clearing that up. I really should make this as easy as possible on myself. Here to learn before i make mistakes!

I've heard good things about that comp set that you posted shogen, but i have also heard great reviews on the PG RSD65 set. The doors in my car are sealed up, and i'm basically looking for a good amount of midbass for what i can fit in there (6.5"). Also, my stock tweets sound "bright" to me at times, so i would like a less harsh tweeter if possible. I see the Polk's are $125 and the PG's are $150. Question is, which one would be better for my application?

I would go with the RSD's personally between those choices.

If you could find a set of ID CTX6.5's that would be a good option too. Nice set for the price, IMO.

I did happen to find just one set of the ID comps. Their power handling is definitely more suited for what i'll be throwing at them, plus ID seems to have a better reputation for the quality of their products than PG from what i've seen.

I'm sure i'd be blown away by anything that i buy, since i have never really heard any amplified speakers.

So the ID's are probably the better way to go than the PG's huh?

IMO, yes.

I think the CTX are a very nice set for the $. Good midbass in a sealed door and a smooth tweeter. :fing34:

Bridge that 4ch on them and should make a nice set up!

Great, looks like a set of ID's will be in my doors! Thanks. :fing34: