Radius

Sound deadening on a budget?

So being on a budget I was looking for some affordable options for sound deadener. I found these:

JC Whitney (Yes! JC Whitney) here: http://www.jcwhitney.com/ultra-silver-vibration-damping-floor/dash-kit/p2020613.jcwx?filterid=c2663j5

JC actually has quite a few variations. And bonus if I order before tomorrow night I have a 20% off coupon.

Eastwood: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-thermocoustic-material.html

And also b-quiet.com

Does anyone have any info on these products? Any good? The Ultimate stuff from b-quiet looks promising. In my current install I tried using the asphalt roof repair stuff with the aluminum backing from Lowes but it didn't seem to work all that well. Although admittedly I could have done a better job on the doors and I did not do the roof.

Thanks,

Michael

So being on a budget I was looking for some affordable options for sound deadener. I found these:

JC Whitney (Yes! JC Whitney) here: http://www.jcwhitney.com/ultra-silver-vibration-damping-floor/dash-kit/p2020613.jcwx?filterid=c2663j5

JC actually has quite a few variations. And bonus if I order before tomorrow night I have a 20% off coupon.

And also b-quiet.com

Does anyone have any info on these products? Any good? The Ultimate stuff from b-quiet looks promising. In my current install I tried using the asphalt roof repair stuff with the aluminum backing from Lowes but it didn't seem to work all that well. Although admittedly I could have done a better job on the doors and I did not do the roof.

Thanks,

Michael

That stuff seems very sketchy. I'd choose something that's relatively cheap and has a good following. Check out Raamat BXT II.

www.Raamaudio.com

And also b-quiet.com

Thanks,

Michael

Look at Second Skin.

Second skin is expensive, wasn't all that impressed for the price. The cld tiles that SDS (sounddeadenershowdown) sells are way thicker then the second skin pro stuff.

Second skin is expensive, wasn't all that impressed for the price. The cld tiles that SDS (sounddeadenershowdown) sells are way thicker then the second skin pro stuff.

Is that a fact or a statement? Because I know for a fact that Don's product is the same thickness as Damplifier Pro (80 mils nominal).

Best suggestion I'd give you is buy the highest quality mat you can afford.

So depending on how much you are wanting to spend, RAAMat might just be the best choice. That and Rick is a nice guy. :)

Is that a fact or a statement? Because I know for a fact that Don's product is the same thickness as Damplifier Pro (80 mils nominal).

Best suggestion I'd give you is buy the highest quality mat you can afford.

So depending on how much you are wanting to spend, RAAMat might just be the best choice. That and Rick is a nice guy. :)

I have bought both products, had each in my hands, and the stuff from SDS was thicker...

The damplifier I got from second skin was according to Ken, "They made a mistake when making the last batch, so this damplifier is actually thicker then the damplifier pro." and I got it at the normal price, which is cool, but it was still thinner then sds.

So I honestly don't care what the specs on the websites say... Or I wouldn't be surprised if Ken sold me the "damplifier" instead of "damplifier pro", he was a bit scattered :ughdunno:

And I'm no scientist, so perhaps the difference in thicknesses isn't a big deal.

I have bought both products, had each in my hands, and the stuff from SDS was thicker...

The damplifier I got from second skin was according to Ken, "They made a mistake when making the last batch, so this damplifier is actually thicker then the damplifier pro." and I got it at the normal price, which is cool, but it was still thinner then sds.

So I honestly don't care what the specs on the websites say... Or I wouldn't be surprised if Ken sold me the "damplifier" instead of "damplifier pro", he was a bit scattered :ughdunno:

Ah ok, so it was some b-stock Damplifier, not actual Damplifier Pro. Not going to split hairs because I've had b-stock Damplifier and Damplifier Pro and it was all over the place, thick and thin. But for the price I was happy.

Don's CLD tiles are literally the only vibration mat I haven't had the opportunity to use, but that will change shortly since Don is nice enough to send me a sample as soon as he gets it in stock.

Ah ok, so it was some b-stock Damplifier, not actual Damplifier Pro. Not going to split hairs because I've had b-stock Damplifier and Damplifier Pro and it was all over the place, thick and thin. But for the price I was happy.

Don's CLD tiles are literally the only vibration mat I haven't had the opportunity to use, but that will change shortly since Don is nice enough to send me a sample as soon as he gets it in stock.

Yeah I went down to the new warehouse in Tucson and bought some directly from Ken, perhaps he was out of the regular stuff, I don't remember it was a while back :P

I liked that the sheets were large, where as the sds cld tiles are small, but I know their small for a reason (25% coverage to reduce resonance, not persay for reduction in flex.)

Yeah I went down to the new warehouse in Tucson and bought some directly from Ken, perhaps he was out of the regular stuff, I don't remember it was a while back :P

I liked that the sheets were large, where as the sds cld tiles are small, but I know their small for a reason (25% coverage to reduce resonance, not persay for reduction in flex.)

I need to move to AZ... seriously.

Don has pretty much thought his products out to the nth degree. That and his tiles do have a heavier gauge foil. I think there is only one other product out there that has a thicker.

I need to move to AZ... seriously.

Don has pretty much thought his products out to the nth degree. That and his tiles do have a heavier gauge foil. I think there is only one other product out there that has a thicker.

He's certainly been helpful :)

Southern AZ is hot as hell during summer, kinda blows. I plan on making multiple trips this summer, just to get out of the heat :P

Audio Technix same as second skin damplifier but cheapier

So you know for a fact that they use the exact same formulation as Second Skin Damplifier? Where is this proven?

Either way those guys @ Audio Technix don't deserve any business, regardless of how well their product may or may not perform and what products it may or may not be similar to. Much better to send your hard earned money to those businesses who deserve it. And Audio Technix isn't one of those businesses....the owner and his cronies started off on the wrong foot.

As for SDS and Damp Pro, IIRC they use the same thickness adhesive/viscoelastic layer but SDS has thicker aluminum.

JC Whitney (Yes! JC Whitney) here: http://www.jcwhitney...ilterid=c2663j5

Eastwood: http://www.eastwood....c-material.html

And also b-quiet.com

Thanks,

Michael

The most affordable route is to purchase the correct products for meeting your goals, and only the necessary amount of those products to help you achieve those goals.

Without knowing what you are doing, it's hard to suggest one product or "kit" over another. Give us some idea of your budget and objectives and we can help you select the best products and methods for achieving those goals. Otherwise it might end up being a waste of money no matter what product we recommend as it might not be the most effective method of achieving what you are trying to achieve.

If I were to recommend you to a company, it would be to contact Don @ SoundDeadenerShowdown. He is extremely helpful and can recommend the best method of achieving your goals within your budget. To top it off he offers some of the best products in the industry.

Audio Technix same as second skin damplifier but cheapier

Um, no. I have seen and held both, quality does not compare. It is foolish to think other wise.

Right now for the month of May, Argent Audio has a good price on sound deadener, check it out.

Right now for the month of May, Argent Audio has a good price on sound deadener, check it out.

Good deal :D

Got about 4 or 5 days left, I need to get my monies in order... :rofl2:

Good deal :D

Got about 4 or 5 days left, I need to get my monies in order... :rofl2:

I have been dragging my feet on it. I need to get my order in as well.

If you do 25% coverage on panels one bulk pack should be enough for a small vehicle like mine.

People don't do research for themselves anymore. They follow forum nuthuggers. That's why there's comments like "AT is the same as SS or better than SDS". They don't have all the info, just the info people want them to think is true.

People don't do research for themselves anymore. They follow forum nuthuggers. That's why there's comments like "AT is the same as SS or better than SDS". They don't have all the info, just the info people want them to think is true.

All you got to do is give your product to the "bigger names" in car audio, and have them swear its the best, even though they don't have anything to compare it to.

I find it very funny watching those people review and push a product, but actually have no idea.

Youtube is hurting car audio more than anything else at the moment.

And people think sinces these people are getting 5-15k+ views per video, they believe these people are the gurus. Which is hardly the case. Good marketing, but bad for the industry in a way. I would say you can compare it to MAX wattage ratings vs RMS.

/rant.

Peel n Seal is a good cheap way. a whole roll for like 15 bucks. :fing34:

Good cheap way to do what? Because it's not an effective sound deadening product if thats what you mean.

I would rather deaden my truck with duck tape then peal n seal.

Here's a hint kid, cheap and car audio never go together well.

Explain how this is an effective constrained layer dampener? Benefits versus buying SDS or Second Skin?