Got my temporary ap1500d in the mail and installed. Set the gains via voltmeter, which I know is not the best method but thats what I have currently. Also tried confirming with my ear. Have 0 to 4 gauge reducers both put in, and included a picture of everything. Wired at 2ohms, voltage doesn't drop at ALL before protection light kicks in. The old amp would drop the voltage into the 12s. Gain is not even a 4th of the way up.

With the new amp, its not as loud as it was nor is there as much flex as there was with my mtx7801d. Did I do something wrong? I feel this amp should be "putting out" better than what it is.

2011-05-19153752.jpg

2011-05-19154216.jpg

2011-05-23142007.jpg

2011-05-23142153.jpg

double check your sub's wiring. Check the VC make sure they're the reading right.

Did you switch the sub wiring at all?

Can't really tell but make sure BB is all the way down, it could be, or it could be a little over half... stupid knob.

I'd expect it less loud.

The audiopipe is rated at 1 ohm. the MTX amp is better quality and puts out more at 2 ohm.

I'd expect it less loud.

The audiopipe is rated at 1 ohm. the MTX amp is better quality and puts out more at 2 ohm.

^^^ This

:sleepwerd4:

agree with KIRILL007 !

Why did you change ? They both seem to produce about the same power at 2 Ohms. You should not notice anything different !!!

At 2 Ohms, I'd rather use the MTX.

You shouldn't see a significant increase or decrease in output. Why would you switch?

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. Bass Boost is all the way down, and I agree on the non-labeled knobs.. :shrug:

Well, I dont remember what the MTX put out @ 2 ohms, but I know the audiopipe puts out 950 watts @ 2 ohms, to a 600rms woofer. I feel like it should be much louder than it is, and the woofer is moving but not like it used to.

Sub Wiring didn't change, but would box rise or anything like that be a factor? I'll run out and check ohm rating after i finish this.

I switched amps, well, because my mtx quit working, unexpectedly. No smoke, no smell, just quit turning on. When I'd flip the switch (remote wire is on a powered switch), the voltage would still drop a bit and rise again, but the amp wouldn't turn on.

So, I got this ap as a filler, wish i would'a gotten the crescendo 2k... :peepwall:

950 @ 2 Ohms ? That much ? Sure it's not 750 ?

If your MTX is dead, I understand now ! Don't expect more ! You should double the power to hear an increase in db's !!

The mtx is 800 at 2 ohms. So I doubt you would notice much by increasing power by that little. But it shouldn't be less. How did you set the gain on the mtx? Anything else change like deck or eq settings?

Just checked the manual, 950 @ 2 ohms. Just went out and checked, ohms were reading a negative number and i had switched the positive and negative on the terminals on the back of the box :suicide-santa:

Little louder now lol. Turned the gain up a bit, but maybe 1/16 of the knob.

Certainly seems better, but still isn't doing great on some songs. It sounds like my old sealed re's on some songs, which weren't near as loud.

MTX gain was set by ear, maybe it was turned up too much, sucking down voltage, and killing the amp in the process. Guess I'll never know.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, glad to have knowledgeable people on a reliable forum.

The bass doesn't seem to be doing it for me anymore....time for a new sub wired @ 1 ohm! :dancing:

no offense but after that post u just made, i am not going to believe anything u may have heard at this point...

Switching the polarity of ONE sub doesn't magically make it louder...

AC is AC and you can't argue with that...

So what you heard is nothing different and if u did.. then when u hear it playing less loud.. you are hallucinating.

Secondly.. why are you so happy about running a sub @1ohm in the future?

1 ohm, purely sucks.. i just don't get it..

2ohm or 4ohm if you knew what you were doing..

I like to save the life of my soft parts when running audio equipment instead of cooking dinner with them.

Why not run my amp at 1 ohm to a woofer capable of handling more power, such as an xl or xcon or something of that nature?

In my post I stated that I also moved the gain up slightly; I didn't expect it to be way louder but there is an audible difference.

Please explain to me why 1 ohm purely sucks? and also explain why only smart people run their amps at 2 or 4 ohms?

And Zack W, I still have the amp. Might sell it, listing it as broken of course. Letting the buyer know the problems beforehand. Definitely not high dollar or anything.

there is a difference between running @1ohm and cant wait to run something @1ohm regardless of what amp u can get....

@1ohm, you will be outputting the largest amount of current possible without the amp staying in protect on a 1ohm stable amp...

Current = heat which thermally results in fried coils, tinsel leads, reduces efficiency of sub when being pushed with all that current all the time, etc...

Now, i'm not saying never run 1ohm or this will happen, but what i am saying is never beg to run 1ohm because if you are not cautious, you will have damaged speakers.

.5 + rise is how i roll :peepwall: