Aaron Clinton

New ZED products Group Buy

ZED Audio Group Buy

e649bb455ae5f888ec0ad0b8b83affde.jpg

> Zed Audio Model Line up <

Group Buy info:

• Coupon code = ZED2011GB
  • Ends June 30th 2011.
  • Applies to all ZED products we offer (RA / Leviathan-II / Draconia-II / Minotaur / Dreadnought).
  • Place your order normally through the SSA Store.
  • Due to greater volume as in the past, shipping out time will be a little longer then normal.

Group Buy Pricing:

RA - $169.00 > $148.72

Dreadnought - $689.00 > $606.32

Draconia-II - $479.00 > $421.52

Minotaur - $495.00 > $435.60

Leviathan - II $659.00 > $579.92

Awesome buy!!!! These are some beautifull amps with great specs for power!!!

holy shyt

I hate you AARON!!!!

holy shyt

I hate you AARON!!!!

Yep, wrong time for me as well!

Anyone find any reviews on the RA?

Nope been looking too. Wondering how well it would work with the ZED Minotaur.

It works with any amplifier, not just ZED amps.

I kinda meant as far as its application purposes for me... I'm kinda thinking I want that Minotaur but I'm doing sealed for the moment on the Xcon in about a week... :peepwall:

And I got RAM doing a design for me and I'll see what kind of deal I get on my current builder....

Great deals. I'll be placing an order.

I kinda meant as far as its application purposes for me... I'm kinda thinking I want that Minotaur but I'm doing sealed for the moment on the Xcon in about a week... :peepwall:

And I got RAM doing a design for me and I'll see what kind of deal I get on my current builder....

What kind of voice coil is in your Xcon? Isn't the Minotaur stable at 2ohms

it is D1....

Wow, what an awesome deal on those.

What to do, what to do, i think i'm going go off and cry now.

:WTFBubble:

I am surprised to see an "epicenter like" by ZED. That just does not fit the ZED profile.

Edited by edouble101

Terrible timing :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa:

Dreadnought and 8 xs 65 mids have been crossing my mind for a while now

it is D1....

I figured. If you get that amp take lots of pics because they're sexy

I am surprised to see an "epicenter like" by ZED. That just does not fit the ZED profile.

An epicenter added distortion, ZED will not produce something that adds distortion.

what exactly is the RA for? :puzzled:

RA is a dedicated sub woofer control preamplifier. It interfaces between the signal source and the amplifier. There are four circuit blocks within RA, the low pass crossover, the sub-harmonic synthesizer, the compressor and the final gain stage.

Stereo input to mono output

24dB per octave Linkwitz Riley Low Pass crossover.

Twin band Sub-Harmonic Synthesizer.

Variable threshold compressor "tightens up the bass" and prevents amplifier clipping.

12dB (x4) final gain stage with master volume control.

Internal switchmode power supply assures 100% galvanic ground isolation.

Tiffany RCA's with Teflon inserts are used for ultimate quality and reliability.

Made in the USA

Ok

First of all, I hate this because it has to happen when I will be going out of town for 2 months so its pointless to get equipment for me right now.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

On the other side, I wanted to ask, the RA is pretty much a crossover that goes between the receiver and the amp. Am I correct?

An epicenter added distortion, ZED will not produce something that adds distortion.

what exactly is the RA for? :puzzled:

We will have to dig into this http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/ZED-Audio-%252d-RA-amp-remote.html

Here is a littler review

ZED Audio RA

I am curious how the 12db(4x) final gain stage does not add to amplifier clipping. I would think that any boost betwen the signal source and the amplifier would increase the potential for amplifier clipping. I do know that, from my experiences, that the signal level varies in recorded or altered source materials. Ie. play a song from iTunes then play a song converted from youtube or downloafed from decaf. The output (spl) level is different (not mechanically measured, just my ear). So maybe the RA "restores"(epicenter :( imo) the low frequency signal.

Any conclusions on this denim? I am interested!

The tube amp from ZED is in the pre-production stage? If not I would love to see pricing on that! :)

Edited by edouble101

That is a question for ZED directly to answer as the RA is spanking new, and I have not had my hands on it yet. But I know it does not restore/insert anything into the signal path, at least that is how it was explained a while ago when it was in the development process. A few years back PG had the BASSCube, and it was a processor, not like the Epicenter.

From the way it's explained in the manual, it technically would be considered distortion as it's changing the signal by more than a simple amplitude adjustment. From the way it's explained, if frequency X is present in the incoming signal, then the RA will add frequency X/2 to the signal (1 octave lower). That would technically be classified as distortion as it's adding frequencies to the signal that may not have been originally present in the signal. Distortion has a negative connotation as usually "distortion" relates to something that is undesirable, but that's not necessarily the case. In this case, the resulting effect of the added "distortion" are intentional and not necessarily undesirable.

I am curious how the 12db(4x) final gain stage does not add to amplifier clipping. I would think that any boost betwen the signal source and the amplifier would increase the potential for amplifier clipping.

All the statement "12db (4x) final gain stage" means that is the RA increases the level of the signal by 12db, which in the world of voltage equates to a four fold increase in voltage between input and output (a 6db increase requires double the voltage, therefore a 12db increase requires the original voltage quadruple). So if you input 1V into the RA, it will output 4V to the amplifier. It would be no different than exchanging a 2V headunit for one that outputs 8V. It simply affects where the gain needs to be set.

However, Zed included one feature in the RA to combat the potential issue of driving too much preamp voltage into the amplifier (or out of the RA). And that is the compressor. You set where the compression begins to take effect, at a certain point the compressor will "kick in" and keep the voltage output from increasing any higher*. This means you won't clip the output of the RA, and you won't overdrive the input stage of the amplifier (assuming the compressor threshold is set correctly).

*After re-reading the manual, it says: The last control is the VOLUME control and this of course sets the level of the sub

woofers. It also controls the “make up gain” required by the compressor so that even

though the compressor is set to compress, the gain can still be increased but in a

compressed mode.

So it sounds as though I might be a little wrong. It sounds like it will still allow the output voltage to increase but it won't increase linearly with the volume control. The amount by which the output voltage increases once the compressor takes affect is reduced, but the output voltage will still increase some as the volume control is increased with the compression engaged.

I do know that, from my experiences, that the signal level varies in recorded or altered source materials. Ie. play a song from iTunes then play a song converted from youtube or downloafed from decaf. The output (spl) level is different (not mechanically measured, just my ear). So maybe the RA "restores"(epicenter :( imo) the low frequency signal.

From the way it's described in the manual, it works exactly like the Epicenter, except the Epicenter only had one center frequency (selectable via a knob) and a Q adjustment for the "bass restoration" whereas the RA has 2 center frequencies (32hz and 45hz) without a Q adjustment. If it finds X frequency present in the signal, then it will add frequency X/2 (1 octave lower than the fundamental) to the signal at an amplitude determined by the level adjustment knob for the related frequency. As far as I know, that's pretty much exactly what the Epicenter does as well. The Epicenter as far as I'm aware is basically just a subharmonic synth that they gave a different name to ("bass restoration circuit").

I could be wrong here. But from the way it's described in the manual, I think I'm accurate.

I started a thread about the ZED RA in the ZED Audio section.

I am very interested in this a I am 95% sure I will be purchasing it. I would like to know more about it directly from the manufacturer if possible.

Thank you for your input Impious