Sign in to follow this  
thor02

Please help me figure this out...

I just finished installing my first amped set of components, and i have a few problems.

The components are being ran bridged from a 4 channel (channels 1+2 and channels 3+4)

The gain is matched to the head unit voltage (2 volts), and the ssf is being used as the hpf for the comps and the switch on the amp is set to "full".

The rca's are hooked up as followed:

Front left @ hu to ch1 @ amp

Front right to ch2

back left to ch3

back right to ch4

I used this same head unit (alpine cda-105) with my "old" system without the components but with a subwoofer. There were no problems with the system then.

I am using the same ground in the rear that i have been using for my sub amp. I just used a distro block to run 4 gauge to each amp, with 1/0 going to the grounding location. The main power wire is 1/0 with a distro block going to 4 gauge to each amp.

When i first turned the system on i noticed sound was only coming from the left side, plus the sound was horrible, almost like a crackling. I turned the head unit up to volume 8 and it shut off and restarted. When i turned it up to 5 i could see the head unit's illumination dimming with the beat of the music.

Any help is appreciated. If i missed any info just ask.

might check ur wiring to the crossovers and to speakers

well if only 1 side is playing switch ur rca's around and figure out that first

Not going out till the morning but how do you think they're wrong? :puzzled: Because i have no idea.

well ur switching the rca's to see if u can get the other side to play.

If it does ur rca's are messed up somewher.

Also if it sounds horrible the + and - might be backwards

if u want to check even more, disconnect the crossover and just hook the wire up to a speaker to see if it will play correctly.

I haven't checked those things yet, but that doesn't explain why my head unit was shutting off if i turned the volume up.

I would also check all your connections at the back of the HU. You might have a wire shorting or a bad connection on the power wire. When you start turning it up the vibration could make it short or current draw is making the power wire arc and lose connection which could be why it is shutting off.

Not sure what kind of vehicle this is but actually grounding your head unit to something metal in the dash has helped me before.

When I have problems I always start disconnecting things to isolate the problem. Start with grabbing an MP3 player and a 3.5mm to RCA cord and plugging the RCA's directly into the 1&2 on your amp and disconnect the others. If it plays good then it should be something in your HU.

Also, possibly check the connections for your remote wire everywhere. I have had little stray pieces of the pos and neg wire touch the remote wire and freak things out.

Alright i switched my rca's around on the amp and i got each speaker to play correctly. I also ground my head unit to some metal in the dash.

The reason my head unit was shutting off was due to a faulty new ground for the front battery. I used some "dielectric grease" or something like that because i could never get a great connection before. Well it turns out that the nut for the strut tower bolt is painted, so i just grinded that shit off and shazam, good connection and power to the whole system without using that grease.

I am still getting crackling from my tweeters on most songs. These songs are 320 kbps, so not shitty by any means. I don't know what else to check to fix that.