Sign in to follow this  
Shogen

Oh knoes!! It's making noise...

SO today I finished up adding the HC800 to the rear of my car... I have an issue... Before I did this work my system consisted of a JL 500/1 and BA GT2-125 and a 2 farad capacitor.. Knowing that it wasn't really helping I had been planning since late last year to remove it and either put a battery or just go straight to the amps through the distro block...

So... I removed the capacitor yesterday and finished off the wiring today.... I now have a static/whine/ somewhat gets more defined and higher in pitch when going from idle to actually driving.. It does not increase with music volume which is good but it is there when paused or playing or even 0 volume so I know it wasn't the HU especially since I did not touch it...

Possible issues that I can think of:

1. Using the 0gauge wire and shaving it in to fit a 4gauge input was not a great idea but my reducer actually didn't fit into my BA amplifier...

2. The wiring on the battery is possibly touching something or ground is not good enough...

That's all I can think of... I will take pictures of it and post it...

Also, the job was originally done by Best Buy.. It was fine before I meddled with it... The distro block area seems weird to me... I'll have to take a picture to explain that part better...

Any ideas on what could've gone wrong here???

Thanks guys..... :suicide-santa:

could be a few things.... first off.... is it a pioneer deck?

Isn't that whining usually the result of a bad ground? I'd check that if it were me. Maybe you didn't remove enough paint from the spot you grounded to? Just a thought

Isn't that whining usually the result of a bad ground? I'd check that if it were me. Maybe you didn't remove enough paint from the spot you grounded to? Just a thought

it can be... but it can also be a bad ground in the most unlikly place..... the reason i ask if its a pioneer is bcause.. they use a diod resister on the internal ground of the RCA wire... and it can blow very easly .. causeing a wine and a voltage noise.....

best thing to do in that cause is to take an ipod with a mini to RCA cable.. connect stright into the amp.. if the noise is gone then its your head unit.......

send it offt o be repaired.. .then when you get it back add a ground, to the back of the head unit along with the normal ground..... some people even add a ground to the RCA wrapped around all the RCA outputs.

If you determine it is the pico fuse in the head unit, it can be fixed by soldering a wire over the pico fuse's contacts or by grounding the rca's.

Pioneer + Pico = noise. I would start there Bro.

Plenty of posts around to help you get it sorted, Let me know if you want me to find you a couple. It's an easy fix.

I'll try the ipod thing tonight maybe tomorrow.... It is a Pioneer deck.... How could the fuse have blown? Just random coincidence ???

I didn't change the grounds at all... I basically took the output of the distro block and connected that directly to the battery in the trunk... The ground for the amplifier actually connected to the front speakers has not changed though...

So its kinda like this... (at least what I can tell)

2/0 gauge from front battery to distro ... but it looks like 2? power inputs into the distro not sure where the second one is coming from..

Then a 3 4gauge outputs... 2 power and 1 ground ... hooked these up to the battery

then 0gauge for power and ground to the JL audio amplifier. Then 0gauge to the power of the BA amplifier which is the only one hooked up to speakers...

The ground from the BA amp is on a body frame piece which has been there since I installed that BA amp... Never had whining til I added the back battery..

Pioneer + Pico = noise. I would start there Bro.

Plenty of posts around to help you get it sorted, Let me know if you want me to find you a couple. It's an easy fix.

Thanks ... I'll try the IPOD thing and go from there... I'll def probably hit you up in case it is the HU... Other option is new HU??? lol .. But funds are low since I purchased a DC Power alt and all this wiring and shit... lol

it can be... but it can also be a bad ground in the most unlikly place..... the reason i ask if its a pioneer is bcause.. they use a diod resister on the internal ground of the RCA wire... and it can blow very easly .. causeing a wine and a voltage noise.....

best thing to do in that cause is to take an ipod with a mini to RCA cable.. connect stright into the amp.. if the noise is gone then its your head unit.......

send it offt o be repaired.. .then when you get it back add a ground, to the back of the head unit along with the normal ground..... some people even add a ground to the RCA wrapped around all the RCA outputs.

Thats good info. Thanks

could I have blown the fuse during this installation??? just curious as to how it randomly happened... I will be checking when I get home.. I have a shit ton of RCA adapters...

if this is the case though, couldn't I just turn on the HU without the RCAs hooked up at all and see if the sound comes??? No input means no sound? leave the remote turn-on and power/ground in and turn it on??

sorry i misspelled alot of shit.. im drunk, but thats where i would start...

a new deck is the last thing i would do if funds are low.. there are things you can do at home to fix the problem as stated.. a jumper wire... but me personaly i would send it off get it done right and then add the grounds... but the jumper works too...

but at this point still not even sure the head unit is the corporate

thanks jon... I'll try that out... If not then I'll go to the grounds??? Maybe change the one from the distro to the spot on the frame... Might be better... ??

frame with along with the big three is always the best option IMO

could I have blown the fuse during this installation??? just curious as to how it randomly happened... I will be checking when I get home.. I have a shit ton of RCA adapters...

if this is the case though, couldn't I just turn on the HU without the RCAs hooked up at all and see if the sound comes??? No input means no sound? leave the remote turn-on and power/ground in and turn it on??

Yup!

is caused by plugging in RCA's while there is power to the HU.

Try this until you get some $ to either replace the fuse or new HU. Ghetto, but should fix the noise.

Prelude158.jpg

Yup!

is caused by plugging in RCA's while there is power to the HU.

Try this until you get some $ to either replace the fuse or new HU. Ghetto, but should fix the noise.

Prelude158.jpg

will do... should I or could I do this on the amplifier side as well??? Just curious..

You removed the ground and nit the power right? This caused the capacitors in the amp to ground through the RCA ruining the output in the headunit. That is if the outputs really are bad. This is why almost every install states the ground is always the first wire you hook up and the last to unhook.

hmm... I never removed the RCAs from that amplifier... but the JL audio because of spacing I totally removed and put the RCAs in last... So if that's the case... Then doing the trick stated to the HU would possibly be a solution???

slight update... in the parking lot at work.. disconnected RCAs.. sound gone... plugged RCAs back in to listen to music and sound is back ... was gonna try the set of RCAs I am not using for the rear speaker since they were just there but didn't ...

it can also be caused by exterem mistakes....

i had a dvd screen i had a movie on.. and the volume of a movie is much less then a cd... so i had it at like 46.. and CD level was 32... i started my car,.,. put in reverse.. noticed i had a DVD on... touched the CD button.. then BOOOOOMMMM LOUD and shit.... then i tunrned it down and REEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is all i heard.... wonk wonk wonk

it can also be caused by exterem mistakes....

i had a dvd screen i had a movie on.. and the volume of a movie is much less then a cd... so i had it at like 46.. and CD level was 32... i started my car,.,. put in reverse.. noticed i had a DVD on... touched the CD button.. then BOOOOOMMMM LOUD and shit.... then i tunrned it down and REEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is all i heard.... wonk wonk wonk

i'm sorry.. what now??? thanks for the help jon.. drunk still??? :peepwall:

Just a quick patch but you could try a ground loop isolator.http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214.

yes i am!!! thanks for noticing

um.. sudden burst of audio can pop the pico . it draws a ground from the best grounded part of the connection.... the amp...

when it pulls the ground thru the RCA wires it from the amp thru the RCA wire into the headunit thats when shit goes bonkers...

if thats not more direct then ill quit till morning.

Just a quick patch but you could try a ground loop isolator.http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214.

falk that noise.. that reduced so much of your audio it makes me want to throw up... besides,... if your arm got cut off would you put a scratch and sniff sticker on the wond and call it a day>??? nah.