Sign in to follow this  
waltham415

How would a SKAR stack up??

So I hate to ask this sort of question as I realize that the sound of a subwoofer is so dependent on the install, but as the few audio shops around here sell a majority of RF, Alpine, and JL products, I have no way to judge what I am getting into. So here I go....

I currently have two alpine type-s 10 inch subs running off about 500 watts in a very poorly tuned Best Buy box... The cleanest system I've yet to hear is two 10 in memphis subs in sealed boxes, the loudest system I have yet to here is two RF punch 12's in one of their custom, fancy looking ported boxes running off of maybe 700ish watts. The sub I am looking into is a SKAR VVX 12 in a box tuned to 31ish hertz, ran off of the same alpine 500 watt amp that my current subs are runnin off of. As best as possible given the lack of any really usefull information, how will this SKAR stack up? I know it will be better than my alpines in every possible way, but could it match the volume of the Fosgates or the SQ of the memphis subs? I apologize in advance for having to ask this but I cant get a good idea from youtube videos and I cant find any way to hear a SKAR in advance.

Any help, ideas, advise, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

The best answer is to find out for yourself because everyone has different opinions. Just take a chance I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

The SKAR is a very well designed sub woofer that has the potential to get very loud in the right installation.

So I hate to ask this sort of question as I realize that the sound of a subwoofer is so dependent on the install, but as the few audio shops around here sell a majority of RF, Alpine, and JL products, I have no way to judge what I am getting into. So here I go....

I currently have two alpine type-s 10 inch subs running off about 500 watts in a very poorly tuned Best Buy box... The cleanest system I've yet to hear is two 10 in memphis subs in sealed boxes, the loudest system I have yet to here is two RF punch 12's in one of their custom, fancy looking ported boxes running off of maybe 700ish watts. The sub I am looking into is a SKAR VVX 12 in a box tuned to 31ish hertz, ran off of the same alpine 500 watt amp that my current subs are runnin off of. As best as possible given the lack of any really usefull information, how will this SKAR stack up? I know it will be better than my alpines in every possible way, but could it match the volume of the Fosgates or the SQ of the memphis subs? I apologize in advance for having to ask this but I cant get a good idea from youtube videos and I cant find any way to hear a SKAR in advance.

Any help, ideas, advise, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

I am running 1 of the Skar's in a 2cu tuned to 31hz off approx 800rms. It hit's the lows very well and is musical at the same time. It is way better than all the RF Punches I have heard, and to add you can't beat that price of the Skar VVX compared to the over priced RF's. It's my new favorite sub at the moment. Also it will depend on your car and build.

Edited by LilDragon

The Skar VVX12 subs are very nice for the price point. My brother runs 2 of them and they get pretty loud and sound good doing it. I doubt one Skar 12 will be louder than a pair of RF 12s on more power, but I think you will be impressed by what one will do in the proper enclosure. Have you thought about running a pair of the VVX-10s?

The Skar VVX12 subs are very nice for the price point. My brother runs 2 of them and they get pretty loud and sound good doing it. I doubt one Skar 12 will be louder than a pair of RF 12s on more power, but I think you will be impressed by what one will do in the proper enclosure. Have you thought about running a pair of the VVX-10s?

Yeah, I had thought of that one and would love to have two 10's, but my only problem there is that I am then running 2 subs off of only 500wrms, and wouldn't 250w per sub be kinda low? This along with the fact I have about $250 to spend on this entire setup (sucks being a broke college student), and kevin's one VVX 12 + custom box + shipping for 200 just couldn't be beat.... maybe I'll wait a little longer and see if I can save up for a new amp along with it...

They'll be fine on 250 each, that's what we ran on my brother's setup for a few weeks while waiting for his DC alt, they really come alive though when you put 600-700+ on them though. I would do the pair of 10s, you could get them for under $250, run them on the power you have available right now and upgrade to a bigger amp later if you felt the need to.

Alright, well thanks to life, the entirety of my next few paychecks will go directly into my gas tank or my school acount, so this whole plan is shot. I guess I'll just live with what I have for now, maybe save up for two VVX 12's, sealed box, firing forward into the cabin, sealed off from the trunk... that's the dream at least.

I just installed 1 Skar vvx 10 in a ported box tuned to 30 hz. I have 500 watts going to it. Its good & loud for 1/10. It goes real low & sounds great IMO. I'd like 2 but I don't have space for them in a Ranger. The 1 is plenty loud for my SQ setup.

skar ftw

How about you add some helpful input or shut the fuck up.

I apologize for coming across as a prick, but all T5wagon does is spew out crap about skar, no matter what it is, it's the best.

----

OP, it's very hard to gauge one's idea of SQ and loudness, as it's all relative, so many variables even aside from the equipment being used.

Are you able to build your own enclosure, or are you having a shop do it?

I would try a new box for your alpine, you may just find that they actually do sound really good with significantly more output. If it still isn't enough, then pull out the alpine and try another driver.

Or save a few extra bucks and pick up some Fi ssds, or higher end used drivers is always a possibility.

But firstly I would try a new enclosure (one that could also work with new drivers in case you decide the alpines aren't enough.)

Just my two cents. :)

I agree that a properly built enclosure for your current subs would be the smartest choice.

I just installed 1 Skar vvx 10 in a ported box tuned to 30 hz. I have 500 watts going to it. Its good & loud for 1/10. It goes real low & sounds great IMO. I'd like 2 but I don't have space for them in a Ranger. The 1 is plenty loud for my SQ setup.

This thread is 4 months old. Why did you resurrect it?