Kyleebbert

TWO Different types of SOUND wtf?

Just starting to get really into car audio...Bought the Fi BL 18 last year and put it in a 4.0 cubic ft box running around 1100 RMS (i know its a small box, but its in a trunk).. haven't driven in over year, but about to start back up. My question is what makes the bass sound so different.. I mean my friend had 2 12's in a smaller box and his just sounds so clean and clear, while it sounds crisp inside, on the outside the car it really isn't banging like it is in the inside. My set up however just sounded mean and powerful inside the car and fairly loud on the outside..I've heard the terms (clean bass) and (dirty bass) before, but I'm not exactly sure what is meant by that. Can anyone describe it a little further and what exactly makes them sound different? Also I'm getting a new box built professionally and I'm wondering what they have to do to make a box that will let people feel the sound waves as I'm driving by, but also keeping it loud inside the car? Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

You have a superior setup, that's all there is to it. There is no such thing as "clean" and "dirty" bass, I;m not sure what that person meant, I would not take their advise.

4 cubic feet is WAY too small for that 18", that will be why yours doesn't sound as precise as your friends.

You have a superior setup, that's all there is to it. There is no such thing as "clean" and "dirty" bass, I;m not sure what that person meant, I would not take their advise.

4 cubic feet is WAY too small for that 18", that will be why yours doesn't sound as precise as your friends.

I'll try and size it up on the next box..the other one barely fit, but is there anything I can do to make it any better anyways besides building a bigger box?

For 4cuft, you should of went with a 15".

Ya i realized that after i bought it..i just thought bigger was better, but now i know thats not the case.

Also I'm getting a new box built professionally and I'm wondering what they have to do to make a box that will let people feel the sound waves as I'm driving by, but also keeping it loud inside the car?

First, that has nothing to do with the box.

Second, that is a terribly idiotic goal. Your system should be for your enjoyment, not for intentionally disturbing the peace.

Last, any sound lost to the outside is sound not remaining within the vehicle. All of that bass exiting the vehicle is bass not making it to the listener inside of the vehicle. Which is bad. Which reverts back to my second point.

Also I'm getting a new box built professionally and I'm wondering what they have to do to make a box that will let people feel the sound waves as I'm driving by, but also keeping it loud inside the car?

First, that has nothing to do with the box.

Second, that is a terribly idiotic goal. Your system should be for your enjoyment, not for intentionally disturbing the peace.

Last, any sound lost to the outside is sound not remaining within the vehicle. All of that bass exiting the vehicle is bass not making it to the listener inside of the vehicle. Which is bad. Which reverts back to my second point.

Terribly sorry its an "idiotic goal." My intentions are not exactly motivated to disturb the peace. I've heard systems passing on the streets and I enjoy listening to the loud ones driving by also enjoying how those same cars sound in the inside of the vehicle.

Lol yeah I must agree, your goals are backwards? I mean, why would you want people to know where to get their next setup? Plus, that simply means your either a) loosing pressure or b) loosing the sound, You want everything inside as much as possible. You should have read the recommendations for box sizing before you clicked check out to be honest with you man. Now, your going to have to sacrifice some space to get that subwoofer working properly, it is not good to sufficate a subwoofer. Maybe try some aero ports, and fiberglassing the inside. When I hear the term dirty bass vs clean bass, I think of nice setup that I can actually enjoy, when I think of dirty bass, I think of just shit rattling every where out of control with some idiot not knowing anything but thinking bigger is better and dadadadada...daddadad /rant

Your goal should be to keep as much sound inside the cabin as possible, because it is you that is listening to it, not joe dirt that is going around your neighborhood looking for his next victim.

If you so chose to want to be hear by strangers and even more important, your "friends", then just roll down your windows.

Just my .02

Terribly sorry its an "idiotic goal." My intentions are not exactly motivated to disturb the peace.

Yes they are, disturbed is exactly how 99.999999% of the people you drive by will feel.

Either way, your box is too small. If you can't fit a bigger one, sell your sub and get a smaller one.

My intentions are not exactly motivated to disturb the peace.

I've heard systems passing on the streets and I enjoy listening to the loud ones driving by

If that is your goal then yes, your motivation is to intentionally disturb others and violate your local noise ordinance laws.

Not to mention as I previously stated.....all of that sound outside of the vehicle is sound lost from the inside of the vehicle, which is a useless waste to begin with.

OP, you're in the Us, so shipping costs will not be huge. Get your sub reconed to a 15" if possible (yes, I beleive it is !).

You said your box barely fit in your car, you won't be able to make a nice box for this sub.

You could sell the sub too.

At my new house, someone who lives near by drives down my street a couple times a day with their windows down blasting music, at first it didn't bug me, but after hearing it a couple times a day everyday, it's getting a little annoying.

When I pull up to stop lights and the car next me has their windows down blasting their music (whether it be with bass or not), it straight up PISSES me off.

And this is coming from someone who enjoys bass heavy music. I'm not going to say my vehicle is any ground pounder, but it's louder then your average stereo (that pisses me off at stoplights).

If I'm playing any music in my vehicle, my windows are up. When I pull up to stop lights, I turn it way way down.

Any way I'm not trying to tell you what to do or how to act, I'm just saying not everyone else enjoys hearing your music, or appreciates it in any way, even fellow car audio enthusiasts...

You can contact FI and get the sub reconed to a 15" driver, that's what I would do.

IIRC its not a lot of money.

What way is your sub and port facing?

Have you tried folding the rear seats down?

On a side note, when i'm on full tilt at a red light everybody seems to enjoy it watching my truck flex.

Just depends on what side of town you're on :mexsmoke:

Stephan, I understand. I do agree and I turn it down in residential areas and at stop lights, but when you're a (too) young gun, you don't look at life the same way !

On a hot and sunny island like mine, if you don't have A/C you must turn the windows down !

We love music, and are used to music blasting everywhere !!! People may get annoyed sometimes, but they don't call the cops easily for loud music, except by night.

The only thing that can make some turn their system off or down, is the fear of thieves.:peepwall:

But OP, you're not in Martinique, or in the Caribbeans, so, be careful, respectful,......................!

There's a time and place for everything. That's all.