liljestrand

So I busted one of my xcons.

I'm just going to assume this is my fault. But here's the situation.

Was riding the other day while at my normal bumping level and smelled something funny. Turned system off and got the sub out today and saw this. I've never really blown a sub before so I don't know how this happened.

Was it from too much power? Clipping? Any help would be appreciated. Assuming I will need to get a recone. Will be contacting ssa here soon. All gear is in my sig. No bass boost of any kind was used and everything had been working great for 6 months.

I do have a second xcon that is perfectly fine. Is it odd that only one went out?

IMG_20110609_134135.jpg

damn! i haven't seen you around for a bit but that really stinks.... :peepwall:

More than likely it was from dirty power coming from that audiopipe bro. Just my opinion

Not the amp's fault bro. If the gain wasn't set right on any amp, it will clip and signal would be dirty.

It looks bad though. Your tinsel looks to be torn not burnt. But then there are burns around the area.

I don't know but it may be spiders being burnt from tinsel heat in turn leads to the torn tinsels.

Not the amp's fault bro. If the gain wasn't set right on any amp, it will clip and signal would be dirty.

It looks bad though. Your tinsel looks to be torn not burnt. But then there are burns around the area.

I don't know but it may be spiders being burnt from tinsel heat in turn leads to the torn tinsels.

yeah it looks as if theirs more than 1 thing that went bad on the sub, and tinsel does look ripped apart.

Gain was set to roughly 39 volts to each sub. With no bass boost of any kind on either the amp or deck.

how was it that you had the subwoofers wired to the amplifier???

Looks like the coil heated the spider to the point of it deteriorating and snapping the tinsel lead from over excursion.

Ouch. Agree with the above, the leads must have gotten VERY hot to rip through those spiders like that.

Talk to Mark or Aaron and get a re-cone.

they were each wired down to 1 ohm and each had their own channel.

Does that make it a 0.5ohm load on the amp???

Yeah I sent an email to ssa earlier was around 5pst so Ill probably be waiting till tomorrow for a reply.

they were each wired down to 1 ohm and each had their own channel.

Does that make it a 0.5ohm load on the amp???

No the way the ap3k's are set up its basically 2 of their 1500's in one case so two 1500.1's

Answered the email, but like said above, that appears to be pushed well past the intended limits of the driver. There is limits above ratting of a speaker for heat etc., so to pass them and have this level of damage, I would suggest checking amplifier settings, wiring and box integrity.

wow, that looks crazy, maybe playing songs like "bass I love you" for too long/loud?

Edited by Sencheezy

I really don't listen to that much heavy bass stuff. More of a metal/rock guy myself. But I did happen to be playing kanye west's all of the lights.

Denim I'm gonna pull the other one and check it out just to make sure its ok...anything I should look for? When I hooked up the multimeter its reading 1.2 ohms but I still wanna do a visual on it. No sense sending one in and still having one bad one.

Check each coil individually and see what it reads.

I really don't listen to that much heavy bass stuff. More of a metal/rock guy myself. But I did happen to be playing kanye west's all of the lights.

Denim I'm gonna pull the other one and check it out just to make sure its ok...anything I should look for? When I hooked up the multimeter its reading 1.2 ohms but I still wanna do a visual on it. No sense sending one in and still having one bad one.

1.2 ohms wasn't for each coil was it?

No phi. I haven't taken the second one out yet so just checked it at the terminals on the box and got the 1.2 ohms. Which its a dual 2 ohm wired down to 1 ohm.

it should be reading 0.925 ohms.

Either you are measuring the ohm load wrong, the dmm is way off or your 1.2ohm measured sub is partially damaged as well.

Well I'm just reading from the terminal on the box. Will pull it out sometime this week when I have the time.

So pulled out the other sub and one coil was reading ~4 ohms and the other ~3 ohms.

Aaron you have been emailed back. Sorry it took so long, but wanted to wait to pull the second one to find what all needed to be done.

Thanks guys for the info.

Replied. :)