knockinthastreetzof608

Stupid stinger volt meter problem please help

well i 1st got my volt meter maybe 2 or 3 months ago, or around that and i put it on the neg and pos post of my xspower battery under the hood to calibrate and when i turned it , nothing happened just the stinger logo lit up thats it, i told darvex and they told me to ship my old one and i did and gave me another replacment this friday so i went today to calibrate and when i put the pos and neg on the post of my battery it dont light up WTF?! am i doing wrong all it does is flash or couple seconds and thats it if i hold it there nothing lights up, but if i rub it, it just flickers

anyone know if im doing anything incorrectly??? this is really making me just buy a used one that someone is willing to sell me just to know its calibrated and working ugghhhh

any help?

Is the turn on wire hooked up?

the blue remote? if so since there only 3 wires to it then no it was not..

but i dont see why that could be a problem since it only tell it when to turn on or off, like if i set it up without the remote wire wont it just never turn off?

the blue remote? if so since there only 3 wires to it then no it was not..

but i dont see why that could be a problem since it only tell it when to turn on or off, like if i set it up without the remote wire wont it just never turn off?

You would think, but you never know. Try hooking it up and see what happens. I have owned a few and have always used the remote turn on wire. They have always worked great for me.

well then I AM A just have to wait then untill my two d3100's come in i already all my wires through the back, but i still why that would be because i see on people on the forums selling batts, and there people using the volt meter to show the sellers the voltage and they never used the blue remote wire though... i just idk wanna trade me mine :lol2:

if you hook the remote to the positive wont that turn the meter on? i have one of these stinger volt meters but havent hooked it up yet. usually with a remote wire you just need some power to it.

no the 12volt postive will go to what ever you want to read your voltage at, black ofcourse your ground, and the blue on it is the remote turn on just like any other 12volt product like you would stick your remote wire to your postive on your amp, just wont work that way, and i do have power to it i put my power to the postive sie of my battery and the black to the negative side of my battery

thanks for trying to help though

If you hold the positive and rem wire to the positive on the battery then ground the volt meter it should turn on.

It did for me.

If you hold the positive and rem wire to the positive on the battery then ground the volt meter it should turn on.

It did for me.

welll alright I AM A try that right now because all it does is flicker I AM A come back and see if it did any change

Edited by knockinthastreetzof608

It did for me.

this ^

If your just testing that's how you should do it.. for a perminent install.. no.. dont set it up that way.

hey just a word of reference.

If you hold the positive wire and remote wire together and place those both on the same 12v source, and the black on ground the reading on the volt meter will be HIGHER then it should be! so DO NOT set the volt meter up this way, instead install it correctly THEN set/ calibrate the voltage meter with a DMM!

understand?

I only say this because back in the day I set my stinger volt meter up via hooking up the red and blue and black up then hooking my DMM up and getting a DC voltage the using my Philips screw driver adjusting the voltage to match the DMM reading.

once I got it all hooked up my voltage was over 15 VDC and I was like that isn't right so I whipped out my DMM and double checked my calibration on the voltage meter and low and behold it was set to high.

at any rate I hope this helps and enjoy your night!

interesting u say that...

That means resistance in the turn on wire influences the accuracy of the meter GREATLY!

That's kinda a turn-off to me.

interesting u say that...

That means resistance in the turn on wire influences the accuracy of the meter GREATLY!

That's kinda a turn-off to me.

you said it! this is also why I wanted to purchase a voltage meter from you!

actually i might have to buy another one from you sooner then later for my brother car!

also I Have notice that temperature effect the stinger volt meter, not by a whole lot say about 0.1-0.2 but still enough to make mention.

either I got an older stinger meter or my meter is a PILE of junk but that is just what I noticed and though I would post this up!

oh, you might wanna wait a little bit before getting another meter from me.

The next batch i'll order will be in red only but they will also have a turn on wire like the stingers.

They have the same accuracy as the blue meters but because they have turn on wire, no relay or switch install will alter the accuracy of the meter if not running hard-wired.