Dan208

Very tired after workouts.

This is something that I've been thinking about for the last few days. Conventional wisdom says to work out in the morning, as it will give you energy for the day. But, for as long as I can remember, workouts just make me exhausted. I'm fine right afterwards, but a few hours later all I want to do is sleep. After one workout this past week, I had to make a 45 minute drive for an appointment and I damn near fell asleep while driving. On the days that I do end up falling asleep, when I wake up I have absolutely no energy and am usually pretty bitchy (if it's possible for a guy to be bitchy :peepwall: ).

Like I said, I've been this way for as long as I've been working out (off and on for about 10 years). It does't seem to matter if I'm doing weights or cardio, both have the same effect. My diet isn't perfect and does need some work, but it's not complete crap either. I average about 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night during the week, and about 6 or so on the weekends when I work.

Any ideas where to start at trying to figure out why this is happening? Should I just work out in the afternoon or a few hours before I go to bed, even though it would be a lot less convenient than in the morning?

You are shocking your system some what if you are not on a normal schedule, and your body is working hard to repair and recover. If need be, grab and apple post work out, or even a little protein shake and take it with you. I have usually worked out around lunch time for the last few years. Many have said that the 2-4 time slot is the best time period as you have had breakfast to refuel from sleeping, and you have had lunch to fuel up for the rest of the day.

yea i have the same problem. there is nothing you can really do about it that i know of.(caffeine has no effect on me i can drink a freaking gallon of coffee and go right to sleep)

I used to have the most success when hitting the gym in the middle of the day. I felt the best throughout the day when I would get up around 5:00-6:00am, let the dog/s out for a bit, walk a mile or so then come home and make breakfast and workout at the gym between 10-1 for 1-1.5 hours then turn in early usually no later than 10:00 or so.

This was when I had no responsibilities though (work/school).

I remember when I did football in high school (last year lol) for summer and spring training we'd lift weights in the morning and in afternoon we ran. Idk if you could fit that in your schedule but doing that really got me fit.

And the whole eating right thing, you don't have to "always" eat healthy , it's not like you're trying to become a male model. You can pretty much eat what you like but must remember to burn it off. I eat alot of pasta and pasta is a great source to burn when working out. Good luck to you! Stay in shape!

I'd say 95% of the time I eat like a fricking horse. It's not alway healthy :peepwall: , but I try. The afternoon workouts might work for me. Most of the time I don't have anything going on after lunch, so it could be an option. I'll give it a try after vacation next week and see how it goes.

Yeah pre-workout drinks always does the jobs for me . After a long days of work it has a pick me up/second wind and your ready to go ! Try spreading the meals throughout the day . 4-6meals . I go 6-8 meals cutting or bulking its best to spread them out through the day . Most people eat 2-3 large meals ed and the large meals will put you to sleep

working out doesn't always give you energy lol

I use to try working out after i woke up in the morning and i use to feel sick because i didnt eat b4 i worked out.

The theory is working out when you wake up burns more fat because you dont have any food in your system and your pretty much just burning stored calories per/se than food sitting in your stomach

So yea work out in the evenings go home and sleep. Drink some protein

working out doesn't always give you energy lol

I use to try working out after i woke up in the morning and i use to feel sick because i didnt eat b4 i worked out.

The theory is working out when you wake up burns more fat because you dont have any food in your system and your pretty much just burning stored calories per/se than food sitting in your stomach

So yea work out in the evenings go home and sleep. Drink some protein

^agree ...I always have more energy when working out in the evenings . I never go to the gym on an empty stomach lose too much size . When cutting I like to cardio on an empty stomach thats when its best . Then I have my meal after cardio session .